Spike In Bacterial Infection Cases - Link To Raw Fish

Picnic06-Biante15

CNA : Recent spike in bacterial infection cases: Authorities probing link to raw fish

SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Health and various agencies are investigating the increase in cases of Group B streptococcus (GBS) infection, which have been linked with the consumption of raw fish, the ministry said on Monday (Jul 13).

One of the larger hospitals in Singapore saw an average of about 53 cases of GBS infection each year in the past five years, with a range of 31 to 73 cases a year. However, it has treated about 76 cases so far this year and in 10 of these cases, recent consumption of raw fish was reported, MOH said in reply to queries by Channel NewsAsia.

"Investigations are ongoing as to the reason(s) for the increase in cases," the ministry added.

Earlier on Monday, MOH said it was aware of a message circulating claiming there has been an outbreak of GBS due to consumption of contaminated raw fish. The message said all the people who had taken ill had consumed "yusheng", a popular dish at hawker centres, where raw fish is marinated in sesame oil and garnished with red chilli and ginger.

link : http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/recent-spike-in-bacterial/1982524.html

post-21853-0-87676500-1436854010_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supersonic
(edited)

I thought only during CNY then got yusheng?

Plenty of porridge stalls will sell it...

You probably don't eat in the hawker centers or kopitiam.

Edited by Kusje
  • Praise 2

(edited)

quite nice actually. I always downed it with piping hot porridge. Hopefully, it gets mixed up and cooked inside my... [laugh]

I reckon it's more of the food handling issues rather than fish being raw.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

quite nice actually. I always downed it with piping hot porridge. Hopefully, it gets mixed up and cooked inside my... [laugh]

I reckon it's more of the food handling issues rather than fish being raw.

better to eat it with some wasabi to "kill bacteria" [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

Plenty of porridge stalls will sell it...

You probably don't eat in the hawker centers or kopitiam.

I do... just when i order, i said sheng yu bian.

Wasabi can kill bacteria?!

think the correct word to use is "inhibit grow of bacteria" according to some sources.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/number-of-gbs-cases-fall/2070040.html

SINGAPORE: The number of cases of Group B Streptococcus infections has gone down since mid-July this year, following restrictions on the sale of certain types of raw fish dishes, said the Ministry of Health (MOH) on Sunday (Aug 23).

The number of cases of such bacterial infections reported to MOH has decreased to an average of three per week in the past three weeks, from an average of 20 cases per week since the beginning of 2015, said the ministry in a news release. The current number is similar to the baseline level before the outbreak, added MOH.

The decrease came after the National Environment Agency (NEA) advised food stallholders to temporarily stop selling raw fish dishes made using Song (Asian Bighead Carp) and Toman (Snakehead) fish, said MOH. In July, some samples of raw fish were found to contain GBS bacteria.

Some GBS patients had told Channel NewsAsia that they had painful swelling in their limbs after consuming yusheng, which is a popular raw fish dish at hawker centres.

The Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore investigated the entire food supply chain of these fish, MOH said. Tests have so far not detected the same strain of GBS that has been detected in humans. "Nevertheless, as a precautionary measure, NEA’s advisory to licensed foodshop and foodstall holders to withhold the sales of raw fish dishes using Song and Toman fish continues to be in place," the ministry said.

NEA, MOH and AVA will conduct further investigations. In the meantime, the Health Ministry advises vulnerable groups such as young children, pregnant women, the elderly, or people with chronic illnesses to exercise caution by avoiding raw ready-to-eat food.

GBS is a common bacterium found in the human gut and urinary tract of about 15 to 30 per cent of adults without causing disease, said MOH. However, GBS may occasionally cause infections of the skin, joints, heart and brain. Most GBS infections are treatable with antibiotics.

- CNA/xq

• Praise 2

Morning guys

Another case, think better avoid raw fish

Man remains unconscious in hospital 10 days after eating raw fish dish

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/man-remains-unconscious-for-nearly-a-week-after-eating-raw-fish-dish?xtor=CS3-20

SINGAPORE - Ten days after eating a yusheng-style raw fish porridge meal, 52-year-old salesman Mr Sim Tharn Chun remained unconscious in a critical condition at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH) on Wednesday.

His 43-year-old wife Mrs Cathryn Sim, was told that her husband "was infected by the Group B Streptococcus (GBS) bacteria, which led to meningitis".

She told The Straits Times: "He opened his eyes slightly but he was still very weak. In the afternoon, he suffered a seizure and the doctor had to put him on anti-seizure drugs and sedation, so now he is still in a highly unconscious state."

The couple visited a fish porridge stall at Tiong Bahru Food Centre on Nov 15 after Mr Sim had returned from a work trip to the Philippines.

Three days later, he began suffering from body aches, headaches, vomiting and diarrhoea.

Said Mrs Sim: "The pain from his headache felt so intense, it was like his brain was fully infested with the bacteria. It got to a point where he was in a complete state of confusion and I saw my husband, who is an intelligent man, reduced to such a terrible state."

Mr Sim was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance last Thursday after his legs swelled up and he almost lost consciousness.

GBS is a common bacteria found in the gut and urinary tract of 15 to 30 per cent of adults without causing disease in healthy individuals.

However, it may occasionally cause infections of the bloodstream, skin and soft tissues, joints, lungs and brain.

Mrs Sim said that her husband stopped eating raw fish in July after reading about the spike in GBS infections in news reports.

But he decided to have the dish that day after seeing a long queue at the stall, which he had eaten from four times before.

About 18 years ago, Mr Sim fell unconscious and was hospitalised after eating medium-rare beef while on holiday in the United States.

Calling it a "miracle", Mrs Sim said that her husband regained consciousness after five days on his birthday. However she is unsure whether he will have similar luck this time.

She said: "The doctors have told me that chances of recovery are low. It takes more than a miracle. I only have one husband and he is my life. I will spare no efforts in finding out what exactly happened to him. I don't hope to have another casualty because one life is really one too many."

A KTPH spokesman said the hospital is still reviewing the case

In August, MOH said its investigations found an association between GBS infection and the consumption of raw fish sold at food stalls.

It added there had been a "significant downtrend" in the number of GBS cases since mid July, after licensed shops and foodstalls were advised to stop selling raw fish dishes using Song fish and Toman fish.

• Praise 3

Looks like for the time being have to stay away from raw fish ...

Wonder would this have any impact on the coming Chinese New Year .. lao yusheng ...

• Praise 2

Looks like for the time being have to stay away from raw fish ...

Wonder would this have any impact on the coming Chinese New Year .. lao yusheng ...

Lao...sai or return ic

• Praise 1

i read the wife also eat but she is ok? [confused]

there was a long Q since popular assuming other or at least 1-2 also eat and there was only 1 case reported?

Edited by Wt_know

aiyo ... I many months no eat porridge + raw fish already ... holding off cos of the news previously.

was thinking can already since no news from AVA then read this morning's papers ... sigh ...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1