HDB flat: from "brothel" to "hotel"

Skymax

3 women arrested in police raid at suspected HDB 'brothel' in Jurong
JEREMY TEO STOMP  Nov 02, 2017

jurong.jpg?itok=kojlo77v
PHOTO: Shin Min Daily News

Three women were arrested in a flat at Block 664C Jurong West Street 64 that was suspected to be used as a brothel during police raid on Oct 31 at 3.03pm.

According to The Straits Times, the trio, aged between 34 and 48, are believed to be from China.

Condoms and lubricants were seized from the four-room flat. Other items found in the home included two mattresses and a clothes rack with more than 30 towels hanging out to dry, reported Shin Min Daily News.

Before the raid, three men were seen entering the flat in the span of an hour. One left after 15 minutes.

Said a police spokesman in response to a Stomp query: "Police confirm that an operation was conducted on Oct 31, 2017, at 3.03pm at Block 664C, Jurong West Street 64.

"Three women were arrested for an offence under the Women's Charter.

"Police investigations are ongoing."

↡ Advertisement

did he get a refund or done liao? [laugh]

Before the raid, three men were seen entering the flat in the span of an hour. One left after 15 minutes.
Edited by Wt_know

These are HDB rental flats, aren't they? HDB can't possibly confisticate their own property. They can only blacklist the desperados who rent it. No wonder the heartland brothels are everywhere. Sometimes I wonder if ppl really deserved to be helped when they exploit the help that's suppose to help them.

What were the women charged with under women's charter? I thought prostitution is not illegal, only pimping and soliciting.

What were the women charged with under women's charter? I thought prostitution is not illegal, only pimping and soliciting.

Errrr anything boh pay tax is illegal lar.....  [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 1

good read ....

for potential sinkies that turn their HDB into brothel or airbnb

https://sg.yahoo.com/finance/news/actually-happens-hdb-confiscates-flat-160000727.html

For instance, a real estate agent whose Bukit Batok flat was repossessed due to illegal renting was reportedly paid $125,000. He had bought the flat for $150,000, and it could have been sold for about $320,000 on the resale market at the time. That’s a loss of almost $200,000. Ouch.

post-7984-0-07824900-1514603026_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wt_know

good read ....

for potential sinkies that turn their HDB into brothel or airbnb

https://sg.yahoo.com/finance/news/actually-happens-hdb-confiscates-flat-160000727.html

I though you own the HDB flat how come can repossessed.

The laws on brothel or airbnb applied equally to private Condo and landed. Most comments or at least the loudest noise appear to come from Condo owners but no Condo unit got repossessed by the state.

• Praise 1

Note that none of us can own HDB flats. It is leased to us on a 99 years basis and once the lease is up, the flat must be returned to the state. When signing the contract, one can see that its a leasee and lessor relationship.

The laws on brothel or airbnb applied equally to private Condo and landed. Most comments or at least the loudest noise appear to come from Condo owners but no Condo unit got repossessed by the state.

• Praise 4

Note that none of us can own HDB flats. It is leased to us on a 99 years basis and once the lease is up, the flat must be returned to the state. When signing the contract, one can see that its a leasee and lessor relationship.

That was what I was telling my friends as well. To many people, government will not be so heartless to take back HDB just like that. But in all honesty, the moment they structured the contract this way, they can do whatever they like, irregardless what they have been telling the public about ownership of HDB.

Demolition on whose account?  [:p]

Any clause saying must reinstate the land back to original, i.e. demolish the building, level the ground and put back the grass?

If yes, that's a serious piece of liability, not asset.

Edited by Kangadrool

That was what I was telling my friends as well. To many people, government will not be so heartless to take back HDB just like that. But in all honesty, the moment they structured the contract this way, they can do whatever they like, irregardless what they have been telling the public about ownership of HDB.

regardless!!

One dont own the hdb apartment. Its on a 99 year lease. They can take back anytime if you do illegal stuffs with the house or dont pay your mortgage.
  • Praise 2

Note that you do not own the flat at all. It is under the asset of HDB. You are just a lessor entering a lease agreement with HDB to let you lease the flay for 99 years.

If you are the owner, they canot stop you from Air Bnb your flat. 

• Praise 1

Note that you do not own the flat at all. It is under the asset of HDB. You are just a lessor entering a lease agreement with HDB to let you lease the flay for 99 years.

If you are the owner, they canot stop you from Air Bnb your flat. 

Sorry hor.

Even you own a condo also cannot AirBnb your condo legally.

• Praise 2

HDB can repossess flats because they are the lessor. Illegal use of the HDB flat tantamounts to a breach of contract i.e. the agreement signed between lessor and lessee.

It’s different for private properties, regardless of the lease tenure. The Govt has no clause (and therefore no legal levers) to “repossess” a unit. Even if the State has reversionary interest of the land after the leasehold eg. 99years is up, the Govt can only act on the land and not an individual unit. This not to say however that one can do anything in private property and get away with it. We are just talking about repossession here. There are other statutory powers that Govt can exercise to go after offenders.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3