Cordless power tool system - which one ?

Kklee

Give me the model number,i knew Chee Fatt's Poh family,can get dealer price for you.

Thanks for the offer! I need to do some research first. [cool]

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

That is an important point to note. Likely going for 1/2". Also found some adaptor to convert to hex !

Not sure what you mean by convert to hex.

When you use 1/2" drive, many accessories are available at Amazon - sockets, hex, screwdriver, torx, etc.

If you're working on german cars, then you need more like xzn, e-torx

I also want a powered screw driver

but I don't wanna pay $$$$$

if I buy those AC powered one, no need high speed, strong torque, low speed can already, have or not?

I don't want battery because corded is ok for me

no need to pay for battery

wait no use, battery spoil lah

Twincharged

if I buy those AC powered one, no need high speed, strong torque, low speed can already, have or not?

then any cheapo drill will do.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Do you use it regularly? 4 years is rather good testimonial.

That is an important point to note. Likely going for 1/2". Also found some adaptor to convert to hex !

yes. off and on for the various tools. most frequently used is the vacuum cleaner which is daily.

an impact wrench and driver are slightly different tools. use for different purposes.

the wrench is used mainly to fasten bolts, thus the 3/8 and 1/2in drive.

the impact driver is used mainly to drive screws.

you can convert the 3/8 and 1/2 drive to fit hex bits. but there is a slight wobble due to the 1/2 to hex drive converter. if you mainly use it to screw in screws then a driver is more appropriate.

or you can get a drill and use the drill bit to hex converter. but then you lose the impact drive to really tighten screws in.

both the impact wrench and driver can be converted using a drill bit attachment to do drilling , but of course it is not as efficient as a proper drill.

So in the end it depends on what you want to use the tools for.

i would guess that you want the impact wrench to loosen wheel nuts and muck around with the car. In this case you need a high torque wrench, but then you have to deal with the weight. the makita brushless impact wrench is new. i'm not too sure if it can loosen a wheel nut. my BTW251 has problems sometimes.

Not sure what you mean by convert to hex.

When you use 1/2" drive, many accessories are available at Amazon - sockets, hex, screwdriver, torx, etc.

If you're working on german cars, then you need more like xzn, e-torx

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KKBBR4/

Maybe this one suitable for you. http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/00232689/

• Praise 1

yes. off and on for the various tools. most frequently used is the vacuum cleaner which is daily.

an impact wrench and driver are slightly different tools. use for different purposes.

the wrench is used mainly to fasten bolts, thus the 3/8 and 1/2in drive.

the impact driver is used mainly to drive screws.

you can convert the 3/8 and 1/2 drive to fit hex bits. but there is a slight wobble due to the 1/2 to hex drive converter. if you mainly use it to screw in screws then a driver is more appropriate.

or you can get a drill and use the drill bit to hex converter. but then you lose the impact drive to really tighten screws in.

both the impact wrench and driver can be converted using a drill bit attachment to do drilling , but of course it is not as efficient as a proper drill.

So in the end it depends on what you want to use the tools for.

i would guess that you want the impact wrench to loosen wheel nuts and muck around with the car. In this case you need a high torque wrench, but then you have to deal with the weight. the makita brushless impact wrench is new. i'm not too sure if it can loosen a wheel nut. my BTW251 has problems sometimes.

I may look into a dedicated impact driver in the future,

If the impact wrench can be accessorized to do the job (hex bits), that will be great.

Yeah, the impact wrench is for the wheel lug nuts but I am surprised that the BTW251

which is rated at 170 ft-lb has problems sometimes.

I hope it is in the case where the wheel nuts are extremely tightened. The norm torque

would be around 100 from what I gathered from the internet.

IC..there are many types of adaptors.

Also look at Irwin, they make good tools, extensions, adaptors.

http://www.amazon.com/Tools-1869513-Impact-Performance-Adapter/dp/B00LAEM5NK/

Eh... now really a lot of things to look into ..... [laugh]

Twincharged
(edited)

If the impact wrench can be accessorized to do the job (hex bits), that will be great.

Yeah, the impact wrench is for the wheel lug nuts but I am surprised that the BTW251

I hope it is in the case where the wheel nuts are extremely tightened. The norm torque

like kb27 also mentioned.

1. tool spec and actual working conditions also differ.

2.also take into account if you might use locking nuts which need special adapters and this will also reduce the ultimate torque.

my suggestion is to get the most powerful one out there if the main use is for wheel nuts. i bought BTW251 1st. its didn't work in some cases, then i bought btw450 which always worked. yet to find a wheel nut it cannot remove. so dont make my mistake and buy twice. but then the btw251 is so much lighter and good for smaller jobs.

Edited by Mkl22

Supersonic

Your cost will be going up, but you'd probably want 2 sets of tools.

For wheel nut and heavy duty jobs, 1/2" impact driver

For smaller jobs, 1/4" hex or 3/8" impact driver.

If do you occasional drilling, you can then get adaptor or even drill bits that fit 1/4" hex like this:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW2551-16-Inch-4-Inch-Assortment/dp/B0000225OI/

Supersonic

I got one of this, but it's expensive.

http://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=1155

However, a impact driver is very fun to use as a screwdriver.

You can drive long screws into hard wood and never get tired or get bristles on your palm or strip philips screw head.

Just press only, and let the impact action of the tool do the work.

The Makita has been with me for 4 yrs already. No problem at all. Still using original lithium battery.

Just make sure to keep the battery fully-charged and it'll last a long time.

There are cheaper ones from Bosch or B&D, but they don't have impact function.

I'm afraid it's either buy one expensive one (one off) or buy cheaper one and maybe regret later on.

You can drive long screws into hard wood and never get tired or get bristles on your palm or strip philips screw head.

The Makita has been with me for 4 yrs already. No problem at all. Still using original lithium battery.

I'm afraid it's either buy one expensive one (one off) or buy cheaper one and maybe regret later on.

really tempted to buy one

though I hardly push any screws

Supersonic
(edited)

Do check with ebay as well.

I just bought a dewalt 18v lithium-ion battery shipped here for US$109.

Amazon list at US$119, and that is not including shipping, and it can't ship anyway outside USA.

Edited by Kb27

Supersonic

I just bought a Milwaukee right angle impact off ebay. It's M18 or 18V system.

I think they got a good line, where batteries/charger are interchangeable.

Here's a bare tool for removing wheel nut using the same M18 battery.

Lots of torque 450 ft-lb.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2663-20

I used my dewalt 300 ft-lb recently and had problem with overtighened bolts on a Golf.

The ws must have used brute force, at least 200 ft-lb to tighten. I need to use a breaker bar first, then followed by the dewalt.

I just visited Ikea. They have a cheap 3.6v cordless with AC charger.

Less than $10.

I think it's worth a try for you.

It's probably using NiCd battery, not very reliable, got memory-effect problem.

So you must charge and discharge properly.

• Praise 1

I just bought a Milwaukee right angle impact off ebay. It's M18 or 18V system.

I think they got a good line, where batteries/charger are interchangeable.

Here's a bare tool for removing wheel nut using the same M18 battery.

Lots of torque 450 ft-lb.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2663-20

I used my dewalt 300 ft-lb recently and had problem with overtighened bolts on a Golf.

The ws must have used brute force, at least 200 ft-lb to tighten. I need to use a breaker bar first, then followed by the dewalt.

You recommendations are helpful but they sure are getting more powerful and expensive !

I do agree more torque is better.

Over tightening by the workshop is also my concern. I am planning to get a torque wrench too.

I also need at least a pair of jack stands ( from Amazon likely).

I am trying hard to visual how it fits to the chassis of the car - the top of the jack stands seems not be compatible.

Do I need additional adaptors ?

I believe some hardware shops still selling those mechanical version which does not require battery, and very much cheaper. Just slide the weight up and down will secure the screw, and reversing the ratchet will loosen the screw.

Got pic or not huh ?

Bosch do have cordless impact driver. For the 18V Li-ion the model is GDX 18 V-Li (its both a impact Wrench/Driver), below is the link. :)

http://www.bosch-pt.com.sg/sg/en/cordless-impact-driver-wrench-gdx-18-v-li-131420.html

Bosch do have cordless impact driver. For the 18V Li-ion the model is GDX 18 V-Li (its both a impact Wrench/Driver), below is the link. :)

http://www.bosch-pt.com.sg/sg/en/cordless-impact-driver-wrench-gdx-18-v-li-131420.html

I saw this too. However, I saw in a video, it was mentioned something about the socket not having the retaining pin (IIRC) where it may become lose or pop out when use extensively.

On a related topic, do you guys use and can recommend any portable work bench, with clamps and stuff for drilling or sawing ? In the US, it's common and for those living in apartments there are the foldable types, that saves space. Not quite sure I seen them here.

I recall a few months back, in a SELFFIX promo, there is such a bench.

I am aiming to get one too !

• Praise 1