To Stay Competitive In SG, Get Out of SG

Picnic06-Biante15

Hur ...........

Then scrape reservist lor so that young Singaporean could go oversea to work for few years without disruption......... :yeah-im-not-drunk:

Yahoo : Chan Chun Sing: Stay Competitive In Singapore’s Job Market, Get Out Of Singapore

This article originally appeared on Vulcan Post.

If the title confuses you, it shouldn’t. During the annual Future Leaders Summit organized by NTUC, Labour Chief Chan Chun Sing spoke to attendees about how to build a resilient career that would sustain competition and Singapore’s job climate. His advice? Spend a few years working abroad, because that experience matters.

“How many of you have worked, lived overseas for more than two years?” He asked a room full of eager faces and senior managers.

When a sprinkling of hands raised, he shook his head.

“Not enough. Too few.”

His reasoning stems from the fact that Singapore’s economy has changed tremendously from its shipping port beginnings in the 1970s.

Now, it is home to several MNCs, using Singapore as a regional or global hub to reach other markets. It’s great news for Singaporeans, because more diverse jobs are being created as a result. But it also changes the requirements seen in job descriptions.

“The truth is, I’ve spoken to many of the CEOs — local CEOs in foreign MNCs, foreign CEOs in local MNCs, foreign CEOs in foreign MNCs, local CEOs in local MNCs — whichever permutation you have, they only have one message for us. When they set up a regional and global headquarters in Singapore, are they serving the local market? Our local market is 2.5 million Singaporeans. If you want a local market, you go to Shanghai, it’s 20 million. If you want a local market, go to Tokyo it’s another 20 million.”

The Labour Chief took the opportunity last Friday to reiterate that NTUC’s job is to take care of ALL working people, whether blue collar, white collar, or no collar. He assures all that the Labour Movement will continue to work on improving the lives of rank-and-file, as well as help PMEs attain better jobs, better pay and a better life.

Having just taken on the role as Secretary General in May, Chan has been busy understanding the situation on the ground for Professionals, Managers and Executives (PMEs), especially for older workers above 40 years old, who risk being replaced by younger talents.

Speaking to CEOs of MNCs operating in Singapore is part of Chan’s job scope in maintaining tripartite relations, where unions, companies, and the Singapore government work closely together to solve issues in the job market.

In light of anti-foreign talent sentiments here in Singapore caused by the influx of immigrants, Chan presents a new perspective as the NTUC Secretary General — that perhaps foreign talents do have an advantage over many locals that we should be wary about.

However, he admits that the task is not easy. He draws from his own experience when he was sent to Indonesia as an Army Attache where he lived apart from his young family for two years.

“I was posted to Indonesia 30 days after my first child was born. For the first three months of my first child’s life, I was the weekend father. I came back to Singapore on Fridays on the midnight flight; I flew back to Indonesia on Sundays on the midnight flight. Very irregular. For the first year of my child’s life, she was flying back and forth. At the time, Indonesia was quite chaotic because it was after the fall of Suharto. Very often, there is this term — voluntary repatriation. When something goes on, as in bombs, we don’t know if we feel safer because it’s minus one bomb or if there’s another one coming.”

“I’m not making light about this thing of going overseas. Yes, it’s painful. Yes, it’s difficult. Yes, it has its challenges. But having walked through it, I would not say it is something insurmountable. And that is why I’d encourage young PMEs to look at opportunities beyond Singapore so we can bolster our credentials so that one day we will all come back with that diversity of experience and that enriching not for yourself individually but also for society as a whole.”

Getting out of Singapore to stay competitive in Singapore’s job market may seem like strange advice, but in application, it makes sense. A broader worldview can only truly be attained by experiencing the world.

Perhaps it’s worth having a different perspective. The truth is out there: it doesn’t really matter if you’re a Singaporean or foreigner. What matters is whether you have the right skillset, experience and exposure for these jobs. It’s not about getting a degree, it’s about getting out of our comfort zones and treading uncharted territories. Like Chan says, yes, it is likely to be painful, but no, not insurmountable. PMEs like ourselves have to be well-equipped with skills, exposure and experience to compete for the senior jobs.

Chan shares that NTUC is talking to companies to provide more overseas work opportunities for us, the working people of Singapore. According to a population report from 2014, 1.6 million Singaporeans are currently living overseas either for study or work, showing that a whopping thirty percent of our total population agrees with this theory.

Perhaps it’s time to blow the dust off your passports and get out of here.

Go forth, see the world, and conquer the world.

link: https://sg.news.yahoo.com/chan-chun-sing-stay-competitive-085002778.html

One question : Does other countries welcome us like what SG did to FT to come here?

BTW, his attachment oversea (Indonesia) as in an army is nothing compare to those in China or middle East cos they cannot come back every weekends.

He speaks with the top 5% of the cooperate ladder. As a Labour Chief to understand the workers, speak to those 40% at the base of the 'ladder'. The top earns million every year, no need to talk to them and they know what to do. :serious-business:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Hur ...........

Then scrape reservist lor so that young Singaporean could go oversea to work for few years without disruption......... :yeah-im-not-drunk:

Yahoo : Chan Chun Sing: Stay Competitive In Singapore’s Job Market, Get Out Of Singapore

If the title confuses you, it shouldn’t. During the annual Future Leaders Summit organized by NTUC, Labour Chief Chan Chun Sing spoke to attendees about how to build a resilient career that would sustain competition and Singapore’s job climate. His advice? Spend a few years working abroad, because that experience matters.

“How many of you have worked, lived overseas for more than two years?” He asked a room full of eager faces and senior managers.

“Not enough. Too few.”

His reasoning stems from the fact that Singapore’s economy has changed tremendously from its shipping port beginnings in the 1970s.

Now, it is home to several MNCs, using Singapore as a regional or global hub to reach other markets. It’s great news for Singaporeans, because more diverse jobs are being created as a result. But it also changes the requirements seen in job descriptions.

“The truth is, I’ve spoken to many of the CEOs — local CEOs in foreign MNCs, foreign CEOs in local MNCs, foreign CEOs in foreign MNCs, local CEOs in local MNCs — whichever permutation you have, they only have one message for us. When they set up a regional and global headquarters in Singapore, are they serving the local market? Our local market is 2.5 million Singaporeans. If you want a local market, you go to Shanghai, it’s 20 million. If you want a local market, go to Tokyo it’s another 20 million.”

The Labour Chief took the opportunity last Friday to reiterate that NTUC’s job is to take care of ALL working people, whether blue collar, white collar, or no collar. He assures all that the Labour Movement will continue to work on improving the lives of rank-and-file, as well as help PMEs attain better jobs, better pay and a better life.

Having just taken on the role as Secretary General in May, Chan has been busy understanding the situation on the ground for Professionals, Managers and Executives (PMEs), especially for older workers above 40 years old, who risk being replaced by younger talents.

Speaking to CEOs of MNCs operating in Singapore is part of Chan’s job scope in maintaining tripartite relations, where unions, companies, and the Singapore government work closely together to solve issues in the job market.

In light of anti-foreign talent sentiments here in Singapore caused by the influx of immigrants, Chan presents a new perspective as the NTUC Secretary General — that perhaps foreign talents do have an advantage over many locals that we should be wary about.

However, he admits that the task is not easy. He draws from his own experience when he was sent to Indonesia as an Army Attache where he lived apart from his young family for two years.

“I was posted to Indonesia 30 days after my first child was born. For the first three months of my first child’s life, I was the weekend father. I came back to Singapore on Fridays on the midnight flight; I flew back to Indonesia on Sundays on the midnight flight. Very irregular. For the first year of my child’s life, she was flying back and forth. At the time, Indonesia was quite chaotic because it was after the fall of Suharto. Very often, there is this term — voluntary repatriation. When something goes on, as in bombs, we don’t know if we feel safer because it’s minus one bomb or if there’s another one coming.”

“I’m not making light about this thing of going overseas. Yes, it’s painful. Yes, it’s difficult. Yes, it has its challenges. But having walked through it, I would not say it is something insurmountable. And that is why I’d encourage young PMEs to look at opportunities beyond Singapore so we can bolster our credentials so that one day we will all come back with that diversity of experience and that enriching not for yourself individually but also for society as a whole.”

Getting out of Singapore to stay competitive in Singapore’s job market may seem like strange advice, but in application, it makes sense. A broader worldview can only truly be attained by experiencing the world.

Perhaps it’s worth having a different perspective. The truth is out there: it doesn’t really matter if you’re a Singaporean or foreigner. What matters is whether you have the right skillset, experience and exposure for these jobs. It’s not about getting a degree, it’s about getting out of our comfort zones and treading uncharted territories. Like Chan says, yes, it is likely to be painful, but no, not insurmountable. PMEs like ourselves have to be well-equipped with skills, exposure and experience to compete for the senior jobs.

Chan shares that NTUC is talking to companies to provide more overseas work opportunities for us, the working people of Singapore. According to a population report from 2014, 1.6 million Singaporeans are currently living overseas either for study or work, showing that a whopping thirty percent of our total population agrees with this theory.

One question : Does other countries welcome us like what SG did to FT to come here?

BTW, his attachment oversea (Indonesia) as in an army is nothing compare to those in China or middle East cos they cannot come back every weekends.

He speaks with the top 5% of the cooperate ladder. As a Labour Chief to understand the workers, speak to those 40% at the base of the 'ladder'. The top earns million every year, no need to talk to them and they know what to do. :serious-business:

:pissed-off::confident::yuush::omg:

Hur ...........

“Not enough. Too few.”

"If the annual salary of the Minister of Information, Communications and the Arts is only $500,000, it may pose some problems when he discusses policies with media CEOs who earn millions of dollars because they need not listen to the minister's ideas and proposals, hence a reasonable payout will help to maintain a bit of dignity."

From omy.sg: ‘ 部长薪酬过低 有失身份地位’ 林伟杰言论遭网民批评 ("Lim Wee Kiak defends ministerial salaries: Low pay is a loss of dignity")

Aiyah, now I know why my ministers don't listen to me. I don't earn enough.

• Praise 3

Hahaha.....seems like he is telling the talented Singaporean to work overseas while welcoming foreigners to work here.......crappy lar! But i believe if one is to work overseas their reservist duty will be put on hold! Who the fark going to pay for the flight home......if me i wont!

I dunno what are you saying?

You overseas, got pple call u back for ICT meh.

It's just delayed lor. What's the relevance?

In short, he's just asking workers to be flexible lor.

Like what pinobii has said in the other thread, it's about making yourself relevant when u come back and not being pinholed into a foreign country expert.

Hur ...........

“Not enough. Too few.”

Hypersonic

Most singaporean are too comfortable staying at home. This is one area we lost out to our foreign counter part who could easily uproot their whole family for work assignment.

Most singaporean are too comfortable staying at home. This is one area we lost out to our foreign counter part who could easily uproot their whole family for work assignment.

haha go london, USA,sydney/melbourne then ok lah. all nod head vigorously.

Ask them go jakarta, HCM, Manila, china then they shake head.

Can't blame them.

we are paying them good

somemore here is much safer for their wife, kids, parents

if elsewhere the pay is much better, environment much better for family, I also go lah

Hypersonic
(edited)

haha go london, USA,sydney/melbourne then ok lah. all nod head vigorously.

Ask them go jakarta, HCM, Manila, china then they shake head.

Can't blame them.

Even for China, our quite a number of our indian/filipino counterpart brought their families over despite the language barrier. And nowadays, MNC don'to offer expatriate terms, and hardly any Singaporean wants to go. Most readily accept severance package. Those who are single one may go.

Global job market, I just feel we are not competitive enough.

Edited by Ender

Twincharged

this chan chun sing...

1. likes to ask audience to kee chiu

2. very thorough in listing out possible permutations

3. spends a lot of time talking and networking with CEOs

4. only worked as a soldier but is very well informed and can relate very well with working conditions of PMET

5. Thinks he has it very tough by being posted to Indonesia for 2 yrs. Let's see how he fares if he has to be posted to china or countries more than 6 hr flight radius. He can still come back home every weekend??

he is really a wonderful and talented politician, so proud to have him in the A Team! [thumbsup]

Supersonic

U all dun kpkb can or not?

More working ppl overseas = less working ppl here = less populated = less demand for COE = lower COE $$ = can change car more often. LOL.

• Praise 4

How to get out of Singapore for 2 years or more to work abroad if most ppl have family commitment? If gahment readily help Singaporean workers to uproot and move together with the family abroad, help them settle down for 2 years more, can lah. But if it's just cheap talk dan forget it.