All New BMW 1 Series

ccsgl1900

Congrats mate!

Yeah go with the car you feel best with when driving. Its a drivers car first and foremost.

Passenger comfort is an afterthought good to have but not totally necessary when selecting a BMW

test drove the 116d and the series 2 touran today.

- 116d felt normal under the comfort and ECO mode but the sports mode does make a huge difference. response was good. The car is a little low, thus making it more stable than the touran.

- the touran, on the other hand felt a little tall a like wobble when making normal cornering, probably CG is higher. Though torque is higher than the 116, also felt weak unless under the sports mode.

the 116d's 8 speed transmission gear box looks very electronic with press the "P" at any gear will put the car under Park. Hand Brake is still the traditional "Hand Brake" Though a little "old fashion" but seems still "safer" than the series 2 touran's "Electronic Parking" button.

My wife like the series 2 for it is taller and larger leg space for the rear seat. But I preferred the 116d as it has a better driving experience and newer look. But my wife felt the 116d a little too small for me, say may make me felt like "Mr Bean".. But I felt the series 2 is like a Oversized Honda Jazz....

Final decision, I went with the 116d. But my wife still felt she preferred the series 2 touran.... ;) :(

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Sunny, Thanks. Cannot lah.. She may later think I bring another woman to go buy car... ;) She has her view as sometimes I need to fetch her mum between 2 houses, the 116d is a little low for her to climb in / out....

Eyke, you are so right.. the years can be shorten if change car earlier... ;) But I don't think I will in the next 2~3 years unless I can afford a X3 or X5..... ;).

Else I guess I will just extend the COE for the estima I have,, the COE was only 19k then.... ;)

Can understand dat too..but when we choose car we choose what we like.keke.. Spouse might hv different opinion..but u made your choice in the end 👍

So far I bought all previous cars I went alone 😛

Mercury1, true that is driver first. But wife also part of family and she sleep be side me mah, not the car. So also must ask for her view... Maybe she worries I get a car "too cheo" and end up fetching other girls.... ;) Luckily car is too small to do anything inside and the center hand rest is so much obstructing... :a-m1212:

Sunny, different lah.. i do not deny that my wife actually has a better view when come to "buying". I brought her along while buying my previous Rav4 and current Estima. She also ask me "sure I need such a big car (when getting estima)" she also said it's too big and I don't really need the BIG car... But she likes it after that when the car is spacious and also the Rear Automatic door, allows you to get down even in between small space between car. Now she said the 116d is TOO SMALLllllllllLLL.. ;) Let's see later after a while if she change her mind.... ;)

I have the same experience as you. My wife preferred the 2 series Active Touran, but the drive experience is not that good. I test drove both car around HDB estate in Mei Ling street. The 2 series felt wobbly when clearing the hump, but for 1 series it clear with it very firmly. :)

guess we have same feelings and think alike.... my wife didn't want to test drive when the SE ask if she wanted to as she likely to be the driver 2 for the car. End up I test drove 2 cars too.. ;) the SE told me to drive up the AYE to "feel the power".. End up 1 thing I don't like the series 1 & 2 is the Automatic Start/Stop when stop at traffic light for more than certain time. It cuts the engine and when came back in, can really feel the "shake" both on 116d and 2 series active touran Business. I didn't feel that "huge shake" when sitting in my colleague's Honda Venzel and Toyota Harrier... either the 116d and touran is lighter than the other 2 or BMW just came into this "Automatic Start/Stop" and didn't do it so well,,, The SE actually said "it is too responsive" when it actually wake up when the car shake a little before I even release the brake..

ccsgl1900, 1 thing to add one, SE mentioned he got to wait for the 2nd COE bidding before he can further process, by the time the car ready also around end Aug or early Sept.. So probably mine will also be after "Chinese 7th month"... ;)

I chose a Black Sapphire... ;)

Turbocharged

When you guys say "2 series Touran"... you mean the 2-series Active Tourer, right...?

...Pretty sure Touran is Volkswagen

test drove the 116d and the series 2 touran today.

- 116d felt normal under the comfort and ECO mode but the sports mode does make a huge difference. response was good. The car is a little low, thus making it more stable than the touran.

- the touran, on the other hand felt a little tall a like wobble when making normal cornering, probably CG is higher. Though torque is higher than the 116, also felt weak unless under the sports mode.

Are you talking about the VW Touran or the BMW Active Tourer ?

For city driving , I think that the 116d is fine and would be a good drive . Enjoy your car !

End up 1 thing I don't like the series 1 & 2 is the Automatic Start/Stop when stop at traffic light for more than certain time. It cuts the engine and when came back in, can really feel the "shake" both on 116d and 2 series active touran Business.

I chose a Black Sapphire... ;)

The start-stop thingie can be coded out if necessary.I have a manual GB car and the automatic start-stop is less intrusive and can be controlled better I feel.

Black sapphire ! you are a brave man for choosing a black car :D .

The SE actually said "it is too responsive" when it actually wake up when the car shake a little before I even release the brake..

The automatic start-stop will start the engine if the load on the battery is too much also..even if you are at standstill.

• Praise 1

Shrjun,

Yep. Only remember is Series 2, didnt remember the full word behind. ;) only remember is To....r. ;)

Something wrong with Black Car? Don't scare me... All my past 2 cars and Wife's Jazz are Black...

I have the same experience as you. My wife preferred the 2 series Active Touran, but the drive experience is not that good. I test drove both car around HDB estate in Mei Ling street. The 2 series felt wobbly when clearing the hump, but for 1 series it clear with it very firmly. :)

2 series is active tourer?

touran is VW.....

• Praise 1

Yes, it is BMW 2 Series Active Tourer.

the one series price is really damm attractive though.

130+k for a BMW.

really damm nice price point for entry level bmw.

i can forsee alot of folks going for it.

Shrjun,

Yep. Only remember is Series 2, didnt remember the full word behind. ;) only remember is To....r. ;)

Something wrong with Black Car? Don't scare me... All my past 2 cars and Wife's Jazz are Black...

:D just a pain to maintain the paintwork.

the one series price is really damm attractive though.

130+k for a BMW.

really damm nice price point for entry level bmw.

i can forsee alot of folks going for it.

Add ons are expensive though - like Nav if I remember correctly the pre face lift was 9K...etc . Can keep speccing upto 200 K [rolleyes] .

Interested in the 135i... still having angst over spending the nearly quarter mil for a little hatchback...

116D more worth. size wise should be similar at half the price.

and diesel is cheaper plus more fuel efficient.

practically a no brainer.

:D just a pain to maintain the paintwork.

Add ons are expensive though - like Nav if I remember correctly the pre face lift was 9K...etc . Can keep speccing upto 200 K [rolleyes] .

Not really difficult to maintain.

I have a black car. I got Revol to do PPS. I only wash car at Revol.

Mercury1, true that is driver first. But wife also part of family and she sleep be side me mah, not the car. So also must ask for her view... Maybe she worries I get a car "too cheo" and end up fetching other girls.... ;) Luckily car is too small to do anything inside and the center hand rest is so much obstructing... :a-m1212:

Sunny, different lah.. i do not deny that my wife actually has a better view when come to "buying". I brought her along while buying my previous Rav4 and current Estima. She also ask me "sure I need such a big car (when getting estima)" she also said it's too big and I don't really need the BIG car... But she likes it after that when the car is spacious and also the Rear Automatic door, allows you to get down even in between small space between car. Now she said the 116d is TOO SMALLllllllllLLL.. ;) Let's see later after a while if she change her mind.... ;)

but from estima to 1 series really alot size difference..

sure can adapt?..

Interested in the 135i... still having angst over spending the nearly quarter mil for a little hatchback...

That's the cheapest N55 on this island. Sadly.

↡ Advertisement