Schooling's achievements! 1st Olympic GOLD!

Dankoo

Nobody mentioned that his parents sent him to train at the world's top swimming school at own expense. How many Singaporean parents will be willing to invest time, effort and money in sports, and also willing for their kids to take the risk of losing out in Singapore's scholar-driven society ?

Other countries is invest in potential talent to get results. Here is the athlete invest and get results, then all the opportunists (esp those in politics) will come out to take pictures with the winners and THEN invest in the athlete. You just watch how many MPs and ministars will want to bask in Schooling's glory when he comes back, as if they were the reasons behind his success. Singaporeans no stupid.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

soon, you will see some mini-stars praising online and claim credits for Schooling achievement.

Followed by so and so and so scholarship blah blah blah....

• Praise 1

Nobody mentioned that his parents sent him to train at the world's top swimming school at own expense. How many Singaporean parents will be willing to invest time, effort and money in sports, and also willing for their kids to take the risk of losing out in Singapore's scholar-driven society ?

Deferment is OK, and I think it can be more flexible. But definitely not exemption or replacement. Our army is made up of primarily NSmen, and it is not just about firing AR-15, M-16 or SAR-21 .. those who has been in active combat units will know.

yup. The amount they've spent definitely more than the $200k you get for winning asian games gold.

hope he goes on to win olympic gold. At least some more money will roll in now from sponsorships and endorsements.

Spare a thought too for parents who did similar for their kids in other sports (esp tennis, golf, motor racing, etc) but without success to date.

• Praise 1

Is he a born singaporean ?

Cannot find information on him or his dad, Colin Schooling... Normally born singaporean will send their children to ACS(Primary/Junior) but Joseph was from ACS (I) ..

Edited by ShepherdPie

seriously leh...

I cannot find anything on the net regards to where the parents come from and if schooling was born to local-born singaporeans.

Or the 2nd generation singaporean like Tao Li and TT players' children.

The forgotten heroes of Singapore .. many young people don't even remember Ang Peng Siong who was world's no. 1 in 50m freestyle at one time. Isn't it sad ??

...Sport as a career in sinkieland...no future..just name me someone...??

Sad...

Deferment is OK, and I think it can be more flexible. But definitely not exemption or replacement. Our army is made up of primarily NSmen, and it is not just about firing AR-15, M-16 or SAR-21 .. those who has been in active combat units will know.

...And the best part he is advertising for Singapore....wearing our flag..did our country fully subsidise for this oversea training????....He probably worth a few mills now for endorsement...e.g Speedo or Nike

I just read about justin lynch... african american who just turned 18 and broke phelp's record in schooling's pet event. Bad timing..

He broke the 100m fly world record?!!?

Joseph Schooling - Born in Singapore on 16 June 1995. NS deferred to 2016 due to preparation for Olympic Games :)

where you found the information.

Wiki only say born on 16 June.. never mentioned it's singapore.. and nowhere that i look mention.

Also born in singapore, may not be born-singaporean .. is his parents change to SG citizenship after he was born ?

Edited by ShepherdPie

Too bad netball not played in most major games like the Summer Olympics .. more of a British commonwealth game like Cricket.

I believe his NS was officially deferred. To be honest, we can be more flexible about NS deferment. 18-19 year old is usually the prime for any kid to excel in sports, and even arts .. let more people defer 2-3 years, then come back to serve their NS liability. If they want to run away, then they are no different from the ungrateful runaway PR and scholars. AFAIK, most of these sportsmen serve in SAFSA anyway .. does little to help national security, and doesn't help national sports letting them play in SAF leagues.

I think so. I read someone that his parents seek the govt for approval of NS deferrment cos he needs to go USA to train something like this.

Wiki only say born on 16 June.. never mentioned it's singapore.. and nowhere that i look mention.

Also born in singapore, may not be born-singaporean .. is his parents change to SG citizenship after he was born ?

does it really matter?

I think i read somewhere that his father is a Singaporean and his mum was from Ipoh last time now Singaporean.

And also his father represent Singapore in some sports when he was young and his mum represent Ipoh in some sports too. I think something like this, I forget liao.

does it really matter?

Actually it does not to me ..

i just want to know as i see so many ppl bashing abt sg could have their own talent without AT, so i want to be very sure that schooling is good example of local sg.

Actually it does not to me ..

i just want to know as i see so many ppl bashing abt sg could have their own talent without AT, so i want to be very sure that schooling is good example of local sg.

i am amused by it too but the anti-FT sentiment is actually very strong in MCF

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1