Schooling's achievements! 1st Olympic GOLD!

Dankoo

Not everything can be bought with $$$ ... also not every one of these international circuits you want to join, can join .. why would they lower their standards ? $1M for an Olympic Gold medal is not much compared to the money these international leagues can make with all the advertising and endorsement.

But I do think we can invest more into supporting the training for the athletes rather than rewarding only the winners. The bottom line though, how many Singaporean families are willing to take up a sports career ? Not weekly training, but daily training, a full-time commitment.

man u prove that everything can be bought with $$$ :D

i think is chicken and egg thing, if govt shows there is future in taking up a sports career than more families will be willing go down this route.... but govt also want see results first than pay money.... so both are losers in this case

I believe soccer already gets a significantly bigger amount of money pumped into it in Singapore as compared to any other sport...

agree... but it is also have a much bigger employee base and fans following.... but we should not compare to other sports but to same sport different country

Why is May schooling a PR till now ?

Anyway... why did the gov give NS deferment to a family that is not 100% committed to sg ?

very strong feeling that he's singapore because he wanted to have training financed.

Edited by ShepherdPie
  • Praise 1

Daddy Schooling come out to clarify about the name and family background liao.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sport/more-sport-stories/story/my-boy-joseph-true-son-singapore-says-colin-schooling-20140929

Bottomline: He is a Singaporean !

He will serve NS when he finishes studies...

Hope no more bashers on him lah, cos he already carried so much weight on his shoulders, weight of expectations from Singapore...

Just let him swim, and he will do us proud :)

Negative news for Schooling....

Joseph Schooling, Singapore's only gold medallist of the Incheon Asiad Games so far, is believed to be among three swimmers under investigation for allegedly returning to the athlete's village intoxicated after a late night out with teammates.

It is believed that Teo Zhen Ren and Roanne Ho are the other two members of the 17-strong swim team who appeared drunk when they came back in the early hours of Saturday night. Schooling is 19, Ho is 21, and Teo is 20.

The Straits Times understands that at least two were heavily intoxicated and needed assistance from village security personnel to get back to the housing area for Singapore athletes.

It is believed that upon reaching the housing area, they bumped into a group of Team Singapore athletes and officials who were about to leave the village for a flight home.

The swimming competition had ended last Friday night.

The Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC) said late on Monday that it was aware of the incident and that investigations will be conducted after the Asiad, which ends on Oct 4. The incident was made known to the media by an email sent to various media agencies.

Said Team Singapore chef de mission Jessie Phua in an e-mail statement: "It has been brought to our attention that three athletes returned to the Athletes' Village in the early hours on Sept 27.

"We will investigate further after the Games.

"We have reminded all remaining athletes and officials to be responsible for their actions and to keep the team managers updated of their movements.

"In the meantime, Team Singapore have five more days of competition to go at the Asian Games. We are focused on giving our best to support the athletes who are still competing, and wish them the very best for the competition."

Reactions online were mixed. Some netizens felt it was only natural for teenagers to let off some steam after competing under high pressure.

"A slap on the wrist should do it. A moment of bad judgement by individuals who put in every ounce of effort honing their craft (and) must be under tremendous pressure. Give them a break," said Philip Khoo on Facebook.

But others noted that professional athletes had to maintain a certain level of discipline and abide by rules such as curfews.

"There are other forms of relaxation. Getting drunk is definitely not one of them," commented Xiong Jian on the same platform.

The Singapore Swimming Association declined to comment on the matter.

However, it noted that its athletes are under the jurisdiction and care of SNOC at major games, and that all queries should be directed to the body.

comm ' on if the family is truly proud to be singapore. why is his wife still a Malaysia ?

You have no idea and keep humping on his wife status.

ICA makes its difficult for locals with foreign spouse, but they make it easy for scumbags like YY to get PR and citizenship.

Bottomline: He is a Singaporean !

He will serve NS when he finishes studies...

Hope no more bashers on him lah, cos he already carried so much weight on his shoulders, weight of expectations from Singapore...

Just let him swim, and he will do us proud :)

All the TT players are singaporean also what.. not PR .. why so much TT player bashing then ? In any case, they did a job and get rewarded.

For Schooling, I dont think they deserve NS deferment.. and it should have been enforced given that family is not committed to singapore.

Want my son to be deferred.. at least show show some committment. I wont be surprise if they are PR elsewhere.. tsk tsk ..

What the grandparents do is grandparents.. seriously it should not be credited to them without discrimination.

ICA makes its difficult for locals with foreign spouse, but they make it easy for scumbags like YY to get PR and citizenship.

Com'on , he's not poor.. she is given PR.. managed to get NS deferment..

you think she does not qualified to be a SG ?

Com'on , he's not poor.. she is given PR.. managed to get NS deferment for the son.

you think she does not qualified to be a SG because ICA . *tsk tsk*

In the first place, when papers didnt mentioned the family status.. i found it fishy liao.. and i guess her status is why they never mentioned. just because he is AM, ppl are more lenient in their judgement.. If they are AT origin.. *bash bash bash*

Edited by ShepherdPie

you think she does not qualified to be a SG because ICA . *tsk tsk*

And you are ICA to approve citizenship ?

Did she apply and was rejected ?

Or we are just talking hot air like it should be done, why was it not done ?

And you are ICA to approve citizenship ?

Did she apply and was rejected ?

Or we are just talking hot air like it should be done, why was it not done ?

Do do you she did reject the offer to be a sg ?

And who was that ATB who goes back to china after getting all she wants ?

Does citizenship even make any difference.

You can get married, followed by a divorce.

It's easy.

Do do you she did reject the offer to be a sg ?

You dunno, I dunno.

Unless you are ICA to tell me she did not apply and you are waiting to give citizenship to her.

Otherwise, we are just talking nonsense here.

And who was that ATB who goes back to china after getting all she wants ?

Does citizenship even make any difference.

You can get married, followed by a divorce.

It's easy.

The sportmen are provided training expense as well as rewards for winning in their sport. It's a fair deal. both party get what they want.

But to put NS deferment on the table is a big no no. Its the NS deferment . It's super unfair to SG's sons.. who both parents are totally committed to sg.

come on, if you're so proud to be Singaporean, why don't you quit your job, spend a few hundred K to swim in the US, go out and win a medal for Singapore ?

i dun think you see the point.. why is the wife not a sg ? and they let them go with ns deferment..

I'm just feeling unfair for SG's sons.

Apparently you can be born in Singapore and hold Singapore citizenship and still not be an "SG son". Hokay noted.

nver say that he's not a sg son.. just that he should do NS like everyone else..

I dun see why other waste 2yrs of their prime, deferred their study are not see as the same light as him.

If he is granted deferment.. other should be allowed to deferred for their oversea study. ?!

Especially if the family is not totally rooted in SG.

Edited by ShepherdPie

nver say that he's not a sg son.. just that he should do NS like everyone else..

I dun see why other waste 2yrs of their prime, deferred their study are not see as the same light as him.

If he is granted deferment.. other should be allowed to deferred for their oversea study. ?!

Especially if the family is not totally rooted in SG.

You do realise that others are allowed to defer for studies, right?

You do realise that others are allowed to defer for studies, right?

yeah.. mostly if you are on scholarship. .. but why only some... and not all.

In any case, they should at least check that both parents are rooted here..

Edited by ShepherdPie
↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1