ALL Escalator/Elevator/Excavator related accidents!

Little_prince

The door of the elevator at Block 162 Jalan Bukit Merah seemed to have broken on yesterday (June 24).

Stomper Doorman thanked his lucky stars as he stepped out of it just a mere ten minutes ago before he saw the door. 

According to the Stomper, he saw it at about 5pm. 

It is unclear what happened to the lift.

liftmain_1.jpg

Supersonic

Wa, seems like all the problematic lifts surface to the ground! Suddenly so many lifts have problem?

Metal piece from escalator pierces kid's shoe at AMK Hub

SINGAPORE - A metal piece broke off from an escalator step and pierced a young boy's Crocs shoe at AMK Hub last week.

The incident happened on Dec 15 at about 1pm at Basement 2 of the heartland mall in Ang Mo Kio.

A spokesman from AMK Hub said that no one was injured and the escalator has been repaired.

But the five-year-old boy's grandmother, unhappy at the mall's handling of the incident, shared her grouses online.

She told Stomp that her grandson has developed a phobia of escalators. She also said that she saw the escalator still in operation, hours after the unfortunate incident.

The grandmother, known only as Stomper M, declined to be interveiwed by The Straits Times. AMK Hub's spokesman has said that they are in touch with her.

In her account on Stomp, she said that they were going down the escalator and heading to NTUC.

"My grandson and his mummy were standing behind me. Halfway through, we heard something like the sound of chains dropping.

"I turned back my head, I saw my daughter carry his son and the next moment, we saw that his left shoe had something poking into his shoe.

"When we reached the end, we saw that one part of the escalator step had broken into a mysterious way. Everyone who saw that were totally stunned."

She added: "Thank God his left foot was okay. We were so shocked we didn't know what to do and many people came crowding around."

She then complained that the mall's customer service went to buy a pair of shoes for her grandson but bought Crocs shoes - which was what her grandson was wearing during the incident.

"I was so shocked at why are they buying this same type of shoes and the lady who had gone to buy them told me that she actually wanted to buy flip flops instead, which is even more shocking!" she told Stomp.

"Is this all they can care for a kid who was shocked after the escalator poked his left foot for no reason?"

She also said that the family forgot what they wanted to buy after the shock, and "just roamed around for a couple of hours".

"I saw that they still let the escalator continue running, without anyone coming to investigate," she said.

However, AMK Hub said that the affected escalator was stopped immediately. The mall's escalator service provider, Otis, checked on the escalator, and found the gears in "good working order".

"The broken insert was replaced and a thorough inspection conducted to ensure that the escalator is safe for use before it resumed operation," it said in a statement.

The checks made included the gears, the steps and handrail alignment, as well as to ensure that there is no jerking motion when the escalator is running, AMK Hub said.

It added: "While we regret this unfortunate incident, we hope that shoppers stay constantly mindful of their own safety and take the necessary precautions for themselves and members of their family."

The escalator was last serviced on Dec 1, the spokesman said.

pHcdmJk.png

Sigma Elevator to be fined for safety breach at Tampines HDB block

The Tampines Town Council will levy a fine on Sigma Elevator for a safety breach at a Housing Board block, it said on Thursday (Dec 22).

A Stomp reader, who did not wish to be named, said that a worker from the company had been cleaning a lift shaft at the block on Wednesday afternoon without putting up any signs or posting a look-out to stop people from using the lift. The lift door was partly open due to the cleaning operation.

He told Stomp: "As usual, my daughter ran towards the lift to press the button... I saw the lift door was slightly opened. The lift shaft was big enough for a toddler to fall through the gap."

He stopped his five-year-old daughter from running because he was afraid that "she, out of curiosity, would peep or look through the gap".

He then saw a worker cleaning the lift shaft at Block 886A, Tampines Street 83, with a broom.

"This is a very serious lapse of safety. No warning sign, supervisor or standby person and barricade at all. Any curious toddler may fall through the gap," he added.

Tampines Town Council said in a statement that it "views this incident seriously as the safety breach has endangered the lift worker as well as members of public".

There should have been a safety barricade or a look-out staff onsite, it said.

The Town Council's general manager, Mr Chan Wee Lee, has called the managing director of Sigma Elevator to register the matter and the town council will levy a fine on the company for the breach.

The Town Council has also notified the Ministry of Manpower and the Building & Construction Authority (BCA).

BCA has arranged a site visit to investigate the matter, the Town Council said.

It added that it does random checks on the estate's lift maintenance and other contractors "to ensure they carry out their work properly".

It urged residents and members of public who witness any unsafe acts by contractors to alert the Tampines Town Council by calling their hotline (6781-2222) or by e-mailing [email protected].

lift.png?itok=4PyNGK4_

• Praise 1

Oddly is that a Crocs?

Alot of escalator incidences involving children seem to have Crocs involved, this time its just a bad co-incidence.

Metal piece from escalator pierces kid's shoe at AMK Hub

SINGAPORE - A metal piece broke off from an escalator step and pierced a young boy's Crocs shoe at AMK Hub last week.

The incident happened on Dec 15 at about 1pm at Basement 2 of the heartland mall in Ang Mo Kio.

A spokesman from AMK Hub said that no one was injured and the escalator has been repaired.

But the five-year-old boy's grandmother, unhappy at the mall's handling of the incident, shared her grouses online.

She told Stomp that her grandson has developed a phobia of escalators. She also said that she saw the escalator still in operation, hours after the unfortunate incident.

The grandmother, known only as Stomper M, declined to be interveiwed by The Straits Times. AMK Hub's spokesman has said that they are in touch with her.

In her account on Stomp, she said that they were going down the escalator and heading to NTUC.

"My grandson and his mummy were standing behind me. Halfway through, we heard something like the sound of chains dropping.

"I turned back my head, I saw my daughter carry his son and the next moment, we saw that his left shoe had something poking into his shoe.

"When we reached the end, we saw that one part of the escalator step had broken into a mysterious way. Everyone who saw that were totally stunned."

She added: "Thank God his left foot was okay. We were so shocked we didn't know what to do and many people came crowding around."

She then complained that the mall's customer service went to buy a pair of shoes for her grandson but bought Crocs shoes - which was what her grandson was wearing during the incident.

"I was so shocked at why are they buying this same type of shoes and the lady who had gone to buy them told me that she actually wanted to buy flip flops instead, which is even more shocking!" she told Stomp.

"Is this all they can care for a kid who was shocked after the escalator poked his left foot for no reason?"

She also said that the family forgot what they wanted to buy after the shock, and "just roamed around for a couple of hours".

"I saw that they still let the escalator continue running, without anyone coming to investigate," she said.

However, AMK Hub said that the affected escalator was stopped immediately. The mall's escalator service provider, Otis, checked on the escalator, and found the gears in "good working order".

"The broken insert was replaced and a thorough inspection conducted to ensure that the escalator is safe for use before it resumed operation," it said in a statement.

The checks made included the gears, the steps and handrail alignment, as well as to ensure that there is no jerking motion when the escalator is running, AMK Hub said.

It added: "While we regret this unfortunate incident, we hope that shoppers stay constantly mindful of their own safety and take the necessary precautions for themselves and members of their family."

The escalator was last serviced on Dec 1, the spokesman said.

pHcdmJk.png

• Praise 1

Sigma Elevator to be fined for safety breach at Tampines HDB block

My old work place lifts also Sigma (its Korean).  Many times the doors would close on passengers and not auto retract.  Women usually would not be strong enough to free themselves.

Sigma lift damn jialat.

My block one breakdown at least once a month...KNN.

Go for the cheapest bcoz we are peasants.

I like to see what those govt buildings used.

My block the lifts continually under 'maintenance', should be repair since they were installed.

Now one lift under major repair for 3 or 4 days so unlikely to be working over Christmas.

Really the lifts need complete replacing.  But it won't happen.

The family is not happy the amk mall bought them a crocs as replacement?

Guess they were expecting a Nike or Adidas .....

Edited by Hamburger