Can I choose not to repair a accident car?

Drive

Hi

Car was quite badly damaged on the front, with both front airbags deployed. But workshop say frame ok on inspection.

And I'm claiming from the other party. Instead of repair, can I be compensated with the similar value of the repair quotes plus scrap value? Car just left 1+ year, and I don't feel comfortable (and safe) driving such a repaired car. Can I approach the other party's insurer and present them such a choice? Or there's no such thing in the first place.

Any views? I'd never involved in such accident before so any advice would help

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Of cause you can if you claim the other party by hard cash and don't repair... but if claim by the other party insurance you have to report the accident and get your car repair.

Of cause you can if you claim the other party by hard cash and don't repair... but if claim by the other party insurance you have to report the accident and get your car repair.

oh thanks. So die die must repair? SInce I'm claiming the other party insurance

Hi

Car was quite badly damaged on the front, with both front airbags deployed. But workshop say frame ok on inspection.

And I'm claiming from the other party. Instead of repair, can I be compensated with the similar value of the repair quotes plus scrap value? Car just left 1+ year, and I don't feel comfortable (and safe) driving such a repaired car. Can I approach the other party's insurer and present them such a choice? Or there's no such thing in the first place.

Thanks

you wait long long.

for 9yr old car.

it's either repair or scrap value.

not both

insurance coy not stupid you know

• Praise 4

(edited)

you wait long long.

for 9yr old car.

it's either repair or scrap value.

not both

insurance coy not stupid you know

PArdon my england, I can;t edit already.

I meant instead of actual repairing, they compensate the estimated repair costs (not the scrap value)? Either way they still have to foot the costs? or its does work that way?

Edited by Drive

I meant instead of actual repairing, they compensate the estimated repair costs? Either way they still have to foot the costs? or its does work that way?

either cost of repair or paper value.

whichever is lower or to their benefit

(edited)

either cost of repair or paper value.

whichever is lower or to their benefit

Tks, got it. But I also understand from the workshop, now the insurer is basing on the market value of the car (and not the scarp value unlike last time I understand) to decide to repair or not. I not sure this is true as I just heresay from the workshop. Anyone got heard this before?

Edited by Drive

I meant instead of actual repairing, they compensate the estimated repair costs (not the scrap value)? Either way they still have to foot the costs? or its does work that way?

I believe they will only pay out for injury claims and lost of use.

My suggestion is if you wanna get some cash out of it, just repair and claim the lost of use in terms of cash instead of getting a replacement car.

this sort of thing u tok to your workshop better

The workshop would want to repair, then they can earn if I understand correctly

oh thanks. So die die must repair? SInce I'm claiming the other party insurance

Yes.. you have to repair. Both party have to report the accident to the individual insurance company and the other party insurance company will take pictures of your car before doing any repair.. ( mean no repair no claim)

Hi

Thanks

I dun know if you can or not. But I did (my car was few months to scrap).

Last time my car backside was hit by a car at the traffic light when our car was stationary. That driver had accidentally stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake.

Was told by workshop that our insurer gave us 2 choice, one is to scrap and take the compensation $. The other is to repair. We chose the first option and was compensated $900 or $1k+. I forget liao cos it happened at least 15 years ago.

Edited by Dleodleo

Few mth ago my car backside "kiss" by a Taxi. I sent my car to workshop and they settle everything include a courtesy car during the repairing. All cost by Taxi insurance company. [laugh]

If private settlement, probably you can do that. Something like asking a workshop to quote the repair, then you get the person to pay you cash. (Subjected to his'her willingness for private settle, usually to prevent NCD up lorry)

If claim insurance, fat hope. haha!

in principle can be done......mainly because insurer also have a right to insist to compensate us the cash up to the market value of our car when it is lesser than repair cost+paper. this is a little known rule that occasionally calls into play by insurer when the repair bill is too huge or such a car has low market value in relation to paper value. it is especially common during the years whereby coe dropped, such that the market value - paper value is a wafer thin margin for less popular cars and any accident they got into could trigger this clause.

one way to get this approved, is to ask the workshop plus surveyor to quote higher repair cost so that insurer will automatically choose the lower of the 2, which is market value (ie cash over paper value)

(edited)

in principle can be done......mainly because insurer also have a right to insist to compensate us the cash up to the market value of our car when it is lesser than repair cost+paper. this is a little known rule that occasionally calls into play by insurer when the repair bill is too huge or such a car has low market value in relation to paper value. it is especially common during the years whereby coe dropped, such that the market value - paper value is a wafer thin margin for less popular cars and any accident they got into could trigger this clause.

one way to get this approved, is to ask the workshop plus surveyor to quote higher repair cost so that insurer will automatically choose the lower of the 2, which is market value (ie cash over paper value)

Tks, in this case, is it appropriate to contact the other party's insurer to check?

Wouldn't the workshop want to repair and earn?

Edited by Drive
↡ Advertisement