Which are the self-parking cars?

Hotnyh

Hi everyone,

My 70 yr old mum is finding it harder to park her car and is looking to downsize (Camry right now).

I know some VAG cars have auto parking functions, and so does the new Pug 308.

Do I have any other choices to look at? I find it hard to find out from the spec/ feature lists in sgcarmart....

Only looking at sub-Camry sized sedan (she hates hatches) like the Jetta. Thanks guys.

↡ Advertisement

Hi everyone,

My 70 yr old mum is finding it harder to park her car and is looking to downsize (Camry right now).

Do I have any other choices to look at? I find it hard to find out from the spec/ feature lists in sgcarmart....

Only looking at sub-Camry sized sedan (she hates hatches) like the Jetta. Thanks guys.

from what I know of Mercedes, the C class and CLA does have park assist function but it's damn off and seriously not good. Tried it once and no way I'll use it again.

Don't think vw jetta has it, must it be auto park? I think got reverse camera or those graphical sensors should suffice right?

(edited)

from what I know of Mercedes, the C class and CLA does have park assist function but it's damn off and seriously not good. Tried it once and no way I'll use it again.

Don't think vw jetta has it, must it be auto park? I think got reverse camera or those graphical sensors should suffice right?

Hey thanks for the reply.

Ideally auto park would be a "dream come true"- those were her own words. Older people have difficulties turning to look back with neck pain etc...

But if the systems are not reliable a rear cam and bumper sensors will do. The Camry being a large land yacht of will of course be hard for her to handle so something smaller may be more manageable. She quite likes the new City.

Edited by Hotnyh

Turbocharged

Besides VW Golf, Passat, Tiguan(?), CC, Peugeot 308 (and 308SW) as you mention, I am not aware of any other brands that market this feature.

As Tyco say, Mercedes have PARKTRONIC. I cannot vouch for its capability, but the Volkswagen group one works well actually.

Volvo at one point told me Park Assist Pilot is a $13,000 indent option here.

A lot of other brands actually have active/semi-automatic parking assist of their own, but only a few small few dealers bring them to Singapore. I think these three are really just it.

Hi everyone,

autopark is good to have but cannot be trusted fully

i have experienced occasions when using autopark feature, the car was reversing into an occupied lot and other occasions when i parked into a lot which the autopark deemed too small for the car

driver judgement is still crucial and needs to take over the parking during these situations

:D

• Praise 1

Ideally auto park would be a "dream come true"- those were her own words. Older people have difficulties turning to look back with neck pain etc...

But if the systems are not reliable a rear cam and bumper sensors will do. The Camry being a large land yacht of will of course be hard for her to handle so something smaller may be more manageable. She quite likes the new City.

you could consider the toyota vios or altis as alternatives, for continental car makes like vw.renault or chevy, ford etc. i have not much of an idea.

Hmm, so there aren't really many choices then. I thought perhaps I had not heard of the other brands.

Ok, thanks, let me let her know and bring to the showrooms to see.

If she didn't hate hatchbacks, I would have asked her to check out the Jazz/ Prius C/ Aqua (what a name!) as they should be nice enough for her and yet simple to park. We'll just look at the compact sedans for now.

Auto park on my conti works well only when I do not need it, i.e. fairly big lot with plenty space front and rear (parallel parking). Tight space, plenty of to-and-fro.

Vertical parking not much use when have to park next to pillar. Works only when the parking detects that the lot is in-between 2 cars

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Hyundai and Kia have. But all these autopark quite useless in Sg. They need bigger margin than a normal driver. Almost every lot in SG is too small that they will detect as no lot.

Hmm, so there aren't really many choices then. I thought perhaps I had not heard of the other brands.

Ok, thanks, let me let her know and bring to the showrooms to see.

If she didn't hate hatchbacks, I would have asked her to check out the Jazz/ Prius C/ Aqua (what a name!) as they should be nice enough for her and yet simple to park. We'll just look at the compact sedans for now.

honestly, those auto parking features when come to real situation especially in a crowded parking area where everybody's queuing for a carpark, will probably be extremely ineffective. To activate these features generally will have certain conditions you will need to fulfill and chances are you'll probably get honked at and pressure put on you if you take too long to figure out the software. [bigcry]

• Praise 1

I agree a smaller car is the way to go.

As the population ages, you will see more and more drivers who have physical impairments on the roads. Eventually we may very well have the same problems.

Hopefully by the time I am that way, we will have a driverless option!

If Camry siZe and conti the 3 series bmw comes with self parking, but if you opt for the surround view parking it's super easy to park. I agree with other self parking is not really ideal due to differing circumstance and possibility unnerving for some siting in it. Otherwise get a mini, easy to drive and park, I see many oldies driving the basic Mini Cooper around for marketing and stuff

• Praise 1

Hi everyone,

BMW 2 series active tourer has a park assist feature but this car is in the $160k range.

• Praise 5