Students selling things door to door

Ysc3

Twincharged

i dunno what you guys think about this but one day, a student came knocking at my door and asked to to buy something from them so as to help them help themselves with their education fees. They even had this "pass" or something.

on hearing its for their education fees, did not think twice i said yes and i bought a rubber luggage tag for $10. (these tag could be bought from shops for maybe $1.50 to $2).

a few days later, my wife was looking at the tag and she realized that the tag was actually broken ! it seems that the bottom half of the tag (about 2 cm was broken off).

I dun mind helping students in need and dun really think much of the items that they sell ... but somehow i feel this is a rip-off as the students were selling rejects or damaged items (maybe sponsored?) I would have bought it with a peace of mind if the student had been truthful and told me it was damaged even.

well, i guess i does not pay to be helpful. I am already telling myself not to "help" students or people selling things on the streets already ... but this door-to-door is a first and last for me also.

↡ Advertisement

i dunno what you guys think about this but one day, a student came knocking at my door and asked to to buy something from them so as to help them help themselves with their education fees. They even had this "pass" or something.

on hearing its for their education fees, did not think twice i said yes and i bought a rubber luggage tag for $10. (these tag could be bought from shops for maybe $1.50 to $2).

a few days later, my wife was looking at the tag and she realized that the tag was actually broken ! it seems that the bottom half of the tag (about 2 cm was broken off).

I dun mind helping students in need and dun really think much of the items that they sell ... but somehow i feel this is a rip-off as the students were selling rejects or damaged items (maybe sponsored?) I would have bought it with a peace of mind if the student had been truthful and told me it was damaged even.

well, i guess i does not pay to be helpful. I am already telling myself not to "help" students or people selling things on the streets already ... but this door-to-door is a first and last for me also.

I think they are used, I try to hear out from one teenage boy until another elder boy (he was at the next unit but no one answer the door and came over) try to push me from buying, I was not very please with his attitude and refuse to buy. The older one dun seem to be happy.

• Praise 2

Many years ago, 2 students came selling ice cream. $10 or $12 a tub, I knew it was a rip off but still buy from them. Lousy quality, yucks! Worst I ever had, 1 spoonful and chucked the whole tub away.

Could this be linked to an increased sightings of adults claiming they were on the wrong side of law and will be sentenced to jail term. But due to their poor financial background, they were granted a license (with letter and pass) to sell these luggage tags/small toys/dolls etc few days prior to the sentencing, to help raise some money for themselves.

I saw them a number of times at Marine Parade central and East Coast park. Initially, we purchased it (2 times at different location from different people), and my suspicion rouse after that.

Subsequently, I saw the same person paddling others a few weeks later at a different location. That gave me confirmation that these people are just playing with our sympathy and compassion to con us.

I may be wrong about this, if anyone has more information about such organisation helping these would be convicts to raise money, please drop a note here.

Cheers.

• Praise 2

Some are even worse. They copy the script from tv mediacorpse drama wholesale and use it to sell icecream.

Say that they just came out from boy's home need to start fresh blah blah blah...prey on ppl's sympathy.

We have to be hard hearted at times..

Bangla worker asked me if can spare cig...I said no..

Different times..some men asked me for cig...I said no

Man holding bread talk bag with breads inside...asked me for $2 ..I heard of one guy walking around neighbourhood asking people for $2....sot one I think... I ignored him.

Tissue sellers.......no...no...no..no....

Last time bought tissue from a seller with blind old lady with her...hawker told me don't buy from them anymore...The lady always have lots food n gave blind lady less food.

They r doing a "easy" way out just "asking" when they can approach other avenues for help if truly in need

Edited by Sunny
  • Praise 9

Twincharged

Years back there used to be students selling ice-cream door to door.

I never bought any, since I were already overweight.

my mom encountered the ice-cream selling students also ... but that was a few years back. She did not buy as she say too expensive.

Turbocharged

I think same pattern as the ice cream guys, I used to buy until I found out they were selling a lot more expensive. No more for me...

• Praise 7

Could this be linked to an increased sightings of adults claiming they were on the wrong side of law and will be sentenced to jail term. But due to their poor financial background, they were granted a license (with letter and pass) to sell these luggage tags/small toys/dolls etc few days prior to the sentencing, to help raise some money for themselves.

I saw them a number of times at Marine Parade central and East Coast park. Initially, we purchased it (2 times at different location from different people), and my suspicion rouse after that.

Subsequently, I saw the same person paddling others a few weeks later at a different location. That gave me confirmation that these people are just playing with our sympathy and compassion to con us.

I may be wrong about this, if anyone has more information about such organisation helping these would be convicts to raise money, please drop a note here.

Cheers.

Why would they raise money for themselves if they are going to prison? What would they use the money for?

Twincharged

IMO they are all scams.

Yup. I used to sell those ice-cream and we were given a few stories to use if we wanted. Cuz we earn based on commission. Each box we must return $4 to the guy in-charge. They recommend we sell at $10. I used to sell at $12 per box but if buy 3 or more will be $10 per box. Cleared my 40 boxes every night withing 1-2hrs. Worked 5 days a week. Pay was decent.

Yup. I used to sell those ice-cream and we were given a few stories to use if we wanted. Cuz we earn based on commission. Each box we must return $4 to the guy in-charge. They recommend we sell at $10. I used to sell at $12 per box but if buy 3 or more will be $10 per box. Cleared my 40 boxes every night withing 1-2hrs. Worked 5 days a week. Pay was decent.

I ok if they don't use sorrowful stories, or in the name of charity. Some even produce some letter say they helping poor student, when I say want to call police to check, they walk off.

• Praise 3

Twincharged

I ok if they don't use sorrowful stories, or in the name of charity. Some even produce some letter say they helping poor student, when I say want to call police to check, they walk off.

Some of them believe these stories make it easier to sell. It was easier in the past but now people are more wary of these kind of stuff already. I also have stories but I don't lie. I just say I'm a student and wish to earn more money because I want to buy nice stuff/hobby.

Simply put , you were used, and cheated.

And i hope by now, you are not in belief that it is for their education.

Some of them believe these stories make it easier to sell. It was easier in the past but now people are more wary of these kind of stuff already. I also have stories but I don't lie. I just say I'm a student and wish to earn more money because I want to buy nice stuff/hobby.

Yup.

Every now and then i still get these ice cream boys trying to rip me off.

I just COLDLY say sorry, i dont want any.

Muayhaha.

Edited by Throttle2
↡ Advertisement