Buying a Pickup Truck / SUV . (Need advice)

KimHeng_142223

Hi all, i'm thinking of buying a new Navara NP300 pickup truck (http://www.nissan.com.sg/vehicles/np300%20navara/index.cfm)
but facing some issue due to it being too heavy and large.
Firstly, season parking for open air carpark weight limit is 1800kg max. But they will still allow it if its below 2000kg
but will charge you a fee of 185$ instead of 65$
then after that they would need to know if the pick up truck is able to fit into a lot. i believe they say it's max length would be 5 meter.

Currently the Navara
Curb weight is 1860kg
Length is 5255mm

I'm wondering any of you own a pickup truck that is about that length and yet still able to buy the season parking or have any advice for me?

If all options are gone for that pick up truck, i'm looking at 2 models of SUV in the current market.

Hyundai Tucson 2015/2016
(http://www.hyundai.com/sg/en/UpcomingVehicles/Tucson/index.html)

Or

Toyota Harrier (i think latest model is 2014 or 15)
(http://harrier.sg)

Which would be a better options of SUV and why?

Found reviews of tucson but can't find much reviews on the harrier.

ps; most likely after buying any of this 3, i would love to LIFT its sup higher and change its wheel thicker and bigger (popping out of its side kind). saw some people mod it and it looks awesome! Not sure where can i mod it thou. lol

Thanks all!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Harrier is a JDM model so it's not surprising reviews are scarce.

Since you are talking of buying a pickup truck, it seems to me you are looking for carrying capacity.

Maybe you can consider a wagon also. Among SUVs, I think the Harrier is one of the larger ones you can buy so it is an ideal choice here I would suppose.

• Praise 1

Harrier reviews where got scarce. Our own MCF got like a few hundred pages of posts on it. Haha

Harrier is everywhere on the road now. Every traffic junction sure will spot 1. My office carpark alone already got 5.

• Praise 1

Get the Chevy Colorado!! But not sure if Alphine is still bringing them in...

Why not triton L200

Cant find a new 2014/2015 model for the chevy.. :(

The L200 seems quite lacking behind on techs and looks on the inside of the pickup trucks. And if i'm not wrong, its pretty expensive as well! The newest Navara looks awesome inside and have a decent price! (probably cheaper then L200)

just that both pickup are longer then 5m which is actually too long for carparks.

Main issue is i can't buy the season parking for them for normal carpark..

Harrier is a JDM model so it's not surprising reviews are scarce.

Since you are talking of buying a pickup truck, it seems to me you are looking for carrying capacity.

Maybe you can consider a wagon also. Among SUVs, I think the Harrier is one of the larger ones you can buy so it is an ideal choice here I would suppose.

Yea, looking for something big that looks awesome on the outside and in and something that can have some loads as well. pick up are my first choice but if can't buy the pick up, SUV are 2nd choice.

wagon? you mean volkswagen suv?

Thanks for the advice!

Harrier reviews where got scarce. Our own MCF got like a few hundred pages of posts on it. Haha

Harrier is everywhere on the road now. Every traffic junction sure will spot 1. My office carpark alone already got 5.

Alright, will check out more on this forum!

Yea, saw one near my carpark loading bay, big and awesome!

i think they have a auto drive features. Cruise control with steering that will stay on lane? lol

thanks!

Or a Ford Ranger. Wagon wise, maybe a Subaru Outback.

The subaru outback not as sleek as compared to the harrier in my humble opinion. Looks alright but harrier feels more fierce. hahaha

Ford seems alright, but the curb Weight and Length is too much to be parked on a normal HDB carpark. 2.1k weight and 5.3m long. lol

• Praise 1

Yea, looking for something big that looks awesome on the outside and in and something that can have some loads as well. pick up are my first choice but if can't buy the pick up, SUV are 2nd choice.

Thanks for the advice!

i think they have a auto drive features. Cruise control with steering that will stay on lane? lol

thanks!

Are you aware that these pickups have no parf value & their speed limit is at 70km/h which means you have to keep on the left while on expressway? Dun forget they have yearly inspection also.

If you think L200 is expensive then you can forget about navara NP300, which cost even more. Besides who is willing to buy these pickups with price that is higher than a 2000cc cars & with zero parf value....

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

scarce on the interwebs bro. Only places that got review are Japanese sites and SGCM/1S/MCF lolz

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Thanks for the advice!

thanks!

By wagon I mean the "wagon body" style. e.g., I can recommend the Peugeot 308SW - this is a well priced (<$120k) compact car at 4.6m long but its boot is enormous and is bigger than even an Audi A6 Avant's. This comes at the expense of rear passenger space, but that is probably not a problem for you. It is also a classy looking ride. Reliability of French cars is still a question at the moment, but the 308SW uses a new generation engine and new Japanese gearbox.

Other options you can consider are new Volkswagen Tiguan when it makes it here, Passat Variant (Estate), or if you want something on the lower priced side, I will strongly recommend the Hyundai i40 Tourer Estate (i40 wagon). That has an enormous boot too and is packed with luxuries, if you can get over the badging.

Among SUVs, I think the Harrier is a good choice for you if Japanese reliability is a thing you want. The Harrier Advanced Package trim comes with a lot of safety features such as pre-collision warning with adaptive cruise and autonomous braking as well as the lane departure warning you mentioned. I have a ride with these features and I am fairly pleased with them.

If you want something else different, there is also the Ford Mondeo 5dr, this is a fastback sedan with a liftback. The 1.5L model is coming soon, and the price is good. The catch is that it's a very long car (4.87m), but this means it has a bloody cavern of a boot, which just gets even bigger when seats are folded down. The hatchback also gives you a huge opening so even a fridge will go in.

Ford also has the Kuga as mentioned here, and the Ford Focus Estate if you need a cheap mover (with great handling!) and don't mind sacrificing engine power.

Are you aware that these pickups have no parf value & their speed limit is at 70km/h which means you have to keep on the left while on expressway? Dun forget they have yearly inspection also.

If you think L200 is expensive then you can forget about navara NP300, which cost even more. Besides who is willing to buy these pickups with price that is higher than a 2000cc cars & with zero parf value....

Ive been driving a nearly 20 years old lorry (class3) for 3-4 years now. so i'm okay with the speed at 70km :D

actually last time i checked if i'm not wrong, L200 cost about 180+? i may be wrong thou. but the NP300 is about 135 if plus interest and all probably 150k or so. totally fine with that price.

mostly because i have a construction company and i'm young, so i looking more into work related like a pick up so i can carry some load of materials when needed while my worker drives my lorry thats why i didn't look into cars as my first choice.

• Praise 1

By wagon I mean the "wagon body" style. e.g., I can recommend the Peugeot 308SW - this is a well priced (<$120k) compact car at 4.6m long but its boot is enormous and is bigger than even an Audi A6 Avant's. This comes at the expense of rear passenger space, but that is probably not a problem for you. It is also a classy looking ride. Reliability of French cars is still a question at the moment, but the 308SW uses a new generation engine and new Japanese gearbox.

Other options you can consider are new Volkswagen Tiguan when it makes it here, Passat Variant (Estate), or if you want something on the lower priced side, I will strongly recommend the Hyundai i40 Tourer Estate (i40 wagon). That has an enormous boot too and is packed with luxuries, if you can get over the badging.

Among SUVs, I think the Harrier is a good choice for you if Japanese reliability is a thing you want. The Harrier Advanced Package trim comes with a lot of safety features such as pre-collision warning with adaptive cruise and autonomous braking as well as the lane departure warning you mentioned. I have a ride with these features and I am fairly pleased with them.

If you want something else different, there is also the Ford Mondeo 5dr, this is a fastback sedan with a liftback. The 1.5L model is coming soon, and the price is good. The catch is that it's a very long car (4.87m), but this means it has a bloody cavern of a boot, which just gets even bigger when seats are folded down. The hatchback also gives you a huge opening so even a fridge will go in.

Ford also has the Kuga as mentioned here, and the Ford Focus Estate if you need a cheap mover (with great handling!) and don't mind sacrificing engine power.

Ive check with HDB about the length for Cars (non commercial vehicle). they say for normal personal cars, length wouldn't be the problem. only if its a Pickup truck / commercial vehicle then weight and length will be a big issue.

Thanks for sharing your great knowledge here, really appreciate it!

The volkswagen tiguan seems alright! but if choose between harrier and tiguan, i most likely would see into the harrier.

Notice harrier have lots of great review on it, and the safety features on it is really good! might look into the advanced package. wondering how much its gonna cost. probably 160k?

SsangYong Actyon pickup.

Under 5m length

Under 1.8 ton unladen weight.

You never mention what are your priorities. What are your cargo?

Buying a SUV the running cost will be higher and have to pay more tax. If you have a registered company and registered GST you would want a commercial diesel powered vehicle coz the diesel GST will be offset as rebate. But like most ppl mention commercial vehicles are subjected to yearly inspection and smog test, both must pay a fee. Speed limit 70km/hr w/o passenger and w/o cargo, 60km/hr if carrying passengers and/or cargo.

You have to go for yearly inspection and you want to modify the chassis and suspension? LTA is very strict. If you are feeling rich and like to pay for such fines, go ahead.

Turbocharged

Ive check with HDB about the length for Cars (non commercial vehicle). they say for normal personal cars, length wouldn't be the problem. only if its a Pickup truck / commercial vehicle then weight and length will be a big issue.

Thanks for sharing your great knowledge here, really appreciate it!

The volkswagen tiguan seems alright! but if choose between harrier and tiguan, i most likely would see into the harrier.

Notice harrier have lots of great review on it, and the safety features on it is really good! might look into the advanced package. wondering how much its gonna cost. probably 160k?

Well, yes, for passenger cars, length is not a problem, but if you go to malls or whatever with the ride, a smaller car is of course more manageable...

Haha, I'm suffering from nervousness now everytime I go in to a narrow carpark.

Versus SUV, wagon are more "car like". They do not have the raised up ride height but are usually lighter and handle better. They also get better fuel consumption. If economy and class are priorities, I still recommend the Peugeot 308SW. FC can be 18km/l, while its got good handling and comfort.

And really, for a car shorter than a Toyota Corolla... its boot is really impossible seeming [jawdrop]

Harrier Advanced when I last requested was 155k. Maybe due to COE changes, I would say $157~162k is accurate. The catch is that Harrier is a JDM model so it is only available from PIs. If you want an authorized distributor model, its cousin is the RAV4 (same platform). RAV4 doesn't have nearly as much nicety however. Harrier is considered a luxury model.

Edited by 7hm

L200 price is around near NP300 too. If $180k then as well buy an Audi Q3 better.

If you are in construction line, its best to get a single cab as double cab has very short & small deck. Insurance & roadtax is lower too.

Pick-up trucks are considered commercial vehicles so their HDB season parking is different.

I think it depends on what you really need. You mention you need to carry materials. What sort of materials? How about a wagon?

↡ Advertisement