10th Generation Honda Civic (2016)

Carbon82

(edited)

For a start. We all know A3 has weaker specs and features, smaller in size and have a potential time bomb (gearbox) compare to the civic.

Once warranty over. Living in gear of time bomb explode and need to replace it with another.

The only thing I think is 4 circles looks better than H. But again it's a turn off when it's an A3.

Which Civic are you referring to? Are you talking about the more expensive 1.5t?

Are you so confident that there is no hidden time bomb with the 1.5t?

If you just want a car to go from point a to b and are indifferent to the excitement/passion/enthusiasm of owning a car, then get the one with the lowest combined factor (lowest price, lowest chance of breakdown, lowest acceptable specs, lowest delight etc)

Otherwise why put so much importance about something that may or may not happen in the future. We are already paying 3x the world price and to just want a car to move from point a to b seem like a waste. Just go with the one you are most excited about.

Edited by zerobim08
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Which Civic are you referring to? Are you talking about the more expensive 1.5t?

Are you so confident that there is no hidden time bomb with the 1.5t?

If you just want a car to go from point a to b and are indifferent to the excitement/passion/enthusiasm of owning a car, then get the one with the lowest combined factor (lowest price, lowest chance of breakdown, lowest acceptable specs, lowest delight etc)

Otherwise why put so much importance about something that may or may not happen in the future. We are already paying 3x the world price and to just want a car to move from point a to b seem like a waste. Just go with the one you are most excited about.

I think people recently are losing their passion and enthusiasm in life already and life is just about paying bills and living mundane lives.

Chasing more money is more important than chasing passion for people these days. Where has the passion of human beings gone?

Quite sad actually.

• Praise 2

A3 or Civic is just a car that gets you from point a to b. A LV bag doesn't do anything more than one from metro costing one tenth the price.

What is luxury if not for the badge and maybe better built quality and (subjective) more tech.

Price wise in Malaysia, it is 110k vs 180k. In UK 18k vs 25k. In us 20k vs 30k.

If it makes you feel better, Civic is (subjective) prestige among normal. A3 is normal among prestige.

Exactly... so why pay more for the badge? When the A3 is specced below the Civic? I mean if I compare an Accord and a A4, then it may make sense to pay more for the A4 cos it is better specced... the whole idea of being more prestigious comes about from having better quality and better features and/or better design... so that makes sense when I pay more for a better badge... but seriously the difference between an A3 and a Civics is really minimal but the price tag isn't... especially when you're comparing with other entry level Japanese/Korean/Continental cars with equally good build quality and more features...

• Praise 1

Reliability is a statistical measure.

You can't see it or get to enjoy it outright. You just hope you will get it in the future. Like with everything chance, luck plays a part in it.

But things like drive, performance, luxury badge or quality are real at the present moment.

It all comes down to forgoing something tangible now against something intangible in the future.

Make sense to me.

This is a Civic thread, so I would expect more fans of the Civic.

It's traditionally more reliable, on par with the Toyota brand.

The A3 has one major flaw - the gearbox.

Let's hope it's fixed in the 2017 version.

However the cabin is definitely superior to the Civic. Entry level not withstanding, the build ergonomics, tactile sensation etc are all leaps and bounds ahead of most Jap/Thai cars. You need to aspire to Lexus/ Infinity/Accura levels to get that same tactile feel.

Plastics creak, and feel cheap in your hands. 

So it remains to be seen if the current Civic will last as long as the older ones, which gave Honda that rock solid rep. My Civic didn't have a single creak from day one until the day I scrapped it. I didn't have the same confidence in the current model, and the roomy rear, cool 1.5T engine weren't enough. 

The last straw was the low slung chassis.. YMMV, but IMHO, this car will sell more than the 9th gen, but it will not reach the volumes of the FD series.. my 2c worth..

So for some, the tactile feel, plus the turbo acceleration of the A3 1.4T will excite..

Not so sure about the current 1.0T for 123k

Even at the new price of 119k, it's less worth it than the 2016 version. But maybe the gearbox is all sorted, or they will quietly take the gearbox from the new Golf MK 7.5

• Praise 3

(edited)

Exactly... so why pay more for the badge? When the A3 is specced below the Civic? I mean if I compare an Accord and a A4, then it may make sense to pay more for the A4 cos it is better specced... the whole idea of being more prestigious comes about from having better quality and better features and/or better design... so that makes sense when I pay more for a better badge... but seriously the difference between an A3 and a Civics is really minimal but the price tag isn't... especially when you're comparing with other entry level Japanese/Korean/Continental cars with equally good build quality and more features...

But how much you put on prestige and quality and feel?

When you say better specs are you referring to 1.5t which is more expensive than A3, I think?

Edited by zerobim08

Supersonic

However the cabin is definitely superior to the Civic. Entry level not withstanding, the build ergonomics, tactile sensation etc are all leaps and bounds ahead of most Jap/Thai cars. You need to aspire to Lexus/ Infinity/Accura levels to get that same tactile feel.

So it remains to be seen if the current Civic will last as long as the older ones, which gave Honda that rock solid rep. My Civic didn't have a single creak from day one until the day I scrapped it. I didn't have the same confidence in the current model, and the roomy rear, cool 1.5T engine weren't enough.

The last straw was the low slung chassis.. YMMV, but IMHO, this car will sell more than the 9th gen, but it will not reach the volumes of the FD series.. my 2c worth..

So for some, the tactile feel, plus the turbo acceleration of the A3 1.4T will excite..

Even at the new price of 119k, it's less worth it than the 2016 version. But maybe the gearbox is all sorted, or they will quietly take the gearbox from the new Golf MK 7.5

How the FD sells depends on the COE too.

But how much you put on prestige and quality and feel?

When you say better specs are you referring to 1.5t which is more expensive than A3, I think?

Got to compare the top trim for both cars...

I think people recently are losing their passion and enthusiasm in life already and life is just about paying bills and living mundane lives.

Chasing more money is more important than chasing passion for people these days. Where has the passion of human beings gone?

Quite sad actually.

Sad but true. Passion is for those discussing about m3 or rs4 or ctr.

(edited)

Got to compare the top trim for both cars...

In that case they are quite similar. If I am not mistaken, Civic 1.5t has additional sunroof and reverse cam for 6 to 7k more. With the saving you can add the virtual cockpit and reverse cam for A3.

In my opinion the A3 is a very compelling buy over the Civic 1.5t for about the same price. After all it is an Audi.

Edited by zerobim08

In that case they are quite similar. If I am not mistaken, Civic 1.5t has additional sunroof and reverse cam for 6 to 7k more. With the saving you can add the virtual cockpit and reverse cam for A3.

In my opinion the A3 is a very compelling buy over the Civic 1.5t for about the same price. After all it is an Audi.

The sun roof and reverse cam come standard with the 1.5t.

At this price, I won't touch the A3 and take the risk of the gear box.

• Praise 1

For me. It's a straight civic 1.5t. For the reliability, power and the styling.

Audi was nice when they intro the day running light in A4. That was really awesome, at that time (maybe 7 years back?). After that, the exterior pretty much stays the same.

I have to agree with u on the interior quality part of conti cars even for the entry level models. Even my Jap made fxt starts to creaks after 20k lol...

The sun roof and reverse cam come standard with the 1.5t.

At this price, I won't touch the A3 and take the risk of the gear box.

But is it correct that the Civic 1.5t is 7k more expensive than the A3 1.0t now?

I thought they were about same price.

Then go and buy your Audi la. For me it's Honda.

My first car was a Honda Civic. 2nd car was a Honda city. My 3rd car is a Honda jazz. That's why u will see me in all 3 threads.

I seen more current gen civics on the road than the A3.

Speaking about reliability just see how many Audi has renewed COE compared to Honda. That gives you an indicator about reliability. If a car is reliable there will be people who are willing to extend COE.

The good thing about the current A3 the cheap road tax for a litre car that's TC-ed and the relative car size. In the past, 1l car means Chery QQ. Even the picanto or Getz is 1.1l.

Will my next car be an Audi? Maybe. My car still has more than 8 years to go and it's too early for me to change my car.

But is it correct that the Civic 1.5t is 7k more expensive than the A3 1.0t now?

I thought they were about same price.

Currently A3 is 133k. Civic 1.5T is 127k. There's a 6k diff.

For A3 to add 7k for virtual cockpit and reverse camera, that means a total of 13k diff.

Then go and buy your Audi la. For me it's Honda.

My first car was a Honda Civic. 2nd car was a Honda city. My 3rd car is a Honda jazz. That's why u will see me in all 3 threads.

I seen more current gen civics on the road than the A3.

Speaking about reliability just see how many Audi has renewed COE compared to Honda. That gives you an indicator about reliability. If a car is reliable there will be people who are willing to extend COE.

The good thing about the current A3 the cheap road tax for a litre car that's TC-ed and the relative car size. In the past, 1l car means Chery QQ. Even the picanto or Getz is 1.1l.

Will my next car be an Audi? Maybe. My car still has more than 8 years to go and it's too early for me to change my car.

Currently A3 is 133k. Civic 1.5T is 127k. There's a 6k diff.

For A3 to add 7k for virtual cockpit and reverse camera, that means a total of 13k diff.

A3 is going for 119k only.