SG Presidential Election 2016/17!

Yewheng

who is Singapore first elected president?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. who is Singapore first elected president?

• Wee Kim Wee
    • Ong Teng Cheong
    • S R Nathan
    • Yusof Ishak

Assuming only the same 4 competitors, only Tony and Kin Lian will be eligible under the proposed rules.

Will TCB supporters vote for Kin Lian or will they vote for more of the same?

Consider it done. There's no point in debating upcoming changes to the Constitution, unless you are a MP.

Let's think about what is going to happen next.

The Middle Ground has actually compiled a list of minority candidates who qualify, based on current rules, back in April:

http://themiddleground.sg/2016/04/19/public-sector-qualifies-president/

There are only 5 Malay potential candidates, excluding those who have run a $500m company for 6 years.

Othman Wok is in ill health, not possible.

Ahmad Mattar has been out of the limelight for too long, hard to imagine he will come back again.

Abdullah Tarmugi is not popular among very conservative Malays because his wife is Chinese.

Yaacob Ibrahim is not popular among very conservative Malays because his wife is Puerto Rican.

Which means...

13902565_10154304343198529_8607956275833

Edited by Alheych
  • Praise 5

Assuming only the same 4 competitors, only Tony and Kin Lian will be eligible under the proposed rules.

Will TCB supporters vote for Kin Lian or will they vote for more of the same?

Tan Ah Kow I also vote, as long as not white

• Praise 2

my way or the highway

Long story short, my game, my rules, I decide, you can follow, follow, if not, those are still the rules.

Anyway, I did not pay attention when they talk about this anyway. It has been decideD! Period!

If we support this, we must also support having a non-Chinese PM. In fact, I will be very happy if an Indian or Malay become the next PM.

Tharman!

Period!

• Praise 2

Will Chen Show Mao qualify if he is to run for EP???..............

If Chen show Mao went for PE, I will not vote for him. His true colours all started to show and mostly is on negative side. I believe a lot of people in Aljunied grc from being thinking he's good, to now thinking he should be kicked out of WP.

Edited by Yewheng

If Chen show Mao went for PE, I will not vote for him. His true colours all started to show and mostly is on negative side. I believe a lot of people in Aljunied grc from being thinking he's good, to now thinking he should be kicked out of WP.

Oh is it?..........thought he was one of the ace...........but anyway I cant help thinking mayb he will be leaving WP..............to prepare for the PE............that is if he is qualify............. [laugh]

Oh is it?..........thought he was one of the ace...........but anyway I cant help thinking mayb he will be leaving WP..............to prepare for the PE............that is if he is qualify............. [laugh]

You never see vote drop for the area he managed meh? It's already a starting sign. After 2015 GE, he had gotten worst. I think if he do not improve and by next GE and still contest, he maybe the one that pull the vote down for aljunied grc.

The details I shell not say here. Heard many comments on him mostly is bad.

The rest of them still okay.. Not so cocky as him.

Edited by Yewheng

Tharman!

Period!

why not you.....orrrrrrrrrrrrŕr...no wonder you moved house and somemore near me Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 6

why must change constitution for simi minority P

S R Nathan is not minority P meh?

as long as there is quality candidate ... simi race also can become P right

unlike bolehland ... i think they have an "official" rule that non-malay cannot become PM

Out of the 7 Presidents we have till date, 4 are non-Chinese (Yusof Ishak, Benjamin Sheares, Devan Nair & SR Nathan), and their total years of service are >60% of all presidents in total, not enough meh?

In comparison, all 3 PM till date are Chinese. The motive is clear. Period.

• Praise 8

Tharman!

Period!

good on paper, but HORRIBLE on scrutiny!!

The stated prime job of EP now must be as a goal keeper, not a rubber stamp as it is for so long.

Fact is the govt will be the PAP for the foreseeable future,  to be the goal keeper the EP should be an independent entity from the governing party. (unlike being PM, which Tharman is perfect for)

Tharman as president would be like an auditor being a major share holder of the company he is tasked to audit.

If the PAP puts Tharman up as president, it will be a bare faced power grab mockery of the presidential office. 

He may well be a good PRESIDENT like OTC, but it will the death of the PRESIDENCY.  Unfortunately I suspect many don't know the difference.

instead of who becomes the EP, the real question is WHY  we need one??

and how the EP and CPA candidates are so open to manipulations by incumbent PAP govt. 

• Praise 1

These are my personal thoughts.

1. Is the SG President been given so much power that multiple very stringent criteria were imposed resulting in almost every citizen being disqualified except for a few?

2. Does it mean that only citizens who know how to make money and squeeze money out of anybody qualifies to be a SG President? What about the other qualities?

3. Ministers are position with power also who can make lives miserable for citizens but yet many have not been tested or put to such strict admission criteria (at least publicly known). There are many paper generals who have no real live experience, let alone fought a real war, are actually paid millions to be on the job training. Why then cant a sincere ordinary citizen be allowed to be elected by the citizen and then be on the job training? Is it too much to asked? After there is a council of advisors that advice the SG President.

4. Reasons given for the criteria, isn't it a slap on the face on the past presidents of years gone by.

5. By the way, many Japanese housewives are given their entire pay every month by their husbands to plan their expenses. Just maybe a Japanese housewife (PR or new citizen - Tharman's wife) can be our potential SG President?

The whole saga borders on being ridiculous but that is just me. Well, we have to live with it.

• Praise 3

These are my personal thoughts.

1. Is the SG President been given so much power that multiple very stringent criteria were imposed resulting in almost every citizen being disqualified except for a few?

2. Does it mean that only citizens who know how to make money and squeeze money out of anybody qualifies to be a SG President? What about the other qualities?

3. Ministers are position with power also who can make lives miserable for citizens but yet many have not been tested or put to such strict admission criteria (at least publicly known). There are many paper generals who have no real live experience, let alone fought a real war, are actually paid millions to be on the job training. Why then cant a sincere ordinary citizen be allowed to be elected by the citizen and then be on the job training? Is it too much to asked? After there is a council of advisors that advice the SG President.

4. Reasons given for the criteria, isn't it a slap on the face on the past presidents of years gone by.

5. By the way, many Japanese housewives are given their entire pay every month by their husbands to plan their expenses. Just maybe a Japanese housewife (PR or new citizen - Tharman's wife) can be our potential SG President?

The whole saga borders on being ridiculous but that is just me. Well, we have to live with it.

Hahaha, I like your thinking, but that is provided the hubby take home pay is 5 Billion and that continue for 6 years or more... :grin:  :grin:

• Praise 5

good on paper, but HORRIBLE on scrutiny!!

The stated prime job of EP now must be as a goal keeper, not a rubber stamp as it is for so long.

Fact is the govt will be the PAP for the foreseeable future, to be the goal keeper the EP should be an independent entity from the governing party. (unlike being PM, which Tharman is perfect for)

Tharman as president would be like an auditor being a major share holder of the company he is tasked to audit.

If the PAP puts Tharman up as president, it will be a bare faced power grab mockery of the presidential office.

He may well be a good PRESIDENT like OTC, but it will the death of the PRESIDENCY. Unfortunately I suspect many don't know the difference.

instead of who becomes the EP, the real question is WHY we need one??

and how the EP and CPA candidates are so open to manipulations by incumbent PAP govt.

Eh tharman as PM la

Read the context before blatantly adding your anti agenda and whacking anyhow

At least read the antecedent post before getting soooo emotional

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4