Never carry your toddler or baby in front passenger seat

Aukang

Just watching Crash Test Dummies on Discovery Science. Shows how dummies are used to make cars safer.

Made me recall seeing some adult front seat passengers in cars with a baby or toddler carried in their lap.

They don't realise...(cannot be don't care right?) how dangerous it can be if the car rear ends the vehicle in front or driver e brakes....the child could be launched forward by the momentum and crash into the windscreen.

Child seats are also life savers...i suggest parents be more strict with their children when it comes to seat belts. Even for short drive to school less than 2km away, I insist my kids put on their seat belts. You can be the safest driver in the world, but there are many who are reckless or bobo.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

it does mortify me when I see children on laps in the front seat, or unsecure in the back. One of my kids has finally graduated out from her booster, but back when both were in the car seats, it was quite a chore. Plus, my mum would get very irritated coz cnot tompang people esp during hari raya time. That's probably the main reason for not having car seats...coz of space.

• Praise 5

Everybody is more safety conscious now. I grew up without any child seats, nothing happened to me.

Some people drive 10 years without ever getting into an accident. Although you can't stop others from knocking into you, I believe your personal driving style influences your chances of getting into an accident, even if it's caused by another driver.

That said, since there are such devices available in the market today, it may be good to be safe rather than sorry.

• Praise 3

i think MCFers are concerned drivers hence I would expect us to be aware of such unsafe practices.

The issue is that the vast majority of motorists that are unaware and continue to have such unsafe behaviours..

• Praise 1

Everybody is more safety conscious now. I grew up without any child seats, nothing happened to me.

Some people drive 10 years without ever getting into an accident. Although you can't stop others from knocking into you, I believe your personal driving style influences your chances of getting into an accident, even if it's caused by another driver.

That said, since there are such devices available in the market today, it may be good to be safe rather than sorry.

that's true. You can be the most careful driver, a law-abiding pedestrian....but all it takes is one slip from another road user to cause an accident.

and yes....now car seats come in all sorts of colours and designs! even as recently as 5 years ago, when we were shopping for seats, they were so limited. grrr....

that's true. You can be the most careful driver, a law-abiding pedestrian....but all it takes is one slip from another road user to cause an accident.

and yes....now car seats come in all sorts of colours and designs! even as recently as 5 years ago, when we were shopping for seats, they were so limited. grrr....

Sometimes you also have to slow down a bit, let others go first if they look like they are in a hurry, avoid tailgating heavy vehicles or driving alongside them in their blind spot, etc. This will help you to avoid some accidents that are due to other people's fault eg you're driving in a truck's blind spot, the truck driver didn't check his blind spot too and decided to change lane quickly without signalling. Better to either hang back a bit or quickly accelerate to be slightly in front or totally go past.

• Praise 1

Had seen so many times Dummies who drove with children on their laps.

My feelings would always be: alarmed & dismayed that there are people who showed love the wrong way.

Probably they think that it should be ok as long as they drive slowly.

In the event of any sudden braking, the child would be the cushion between the driver & the steering.

Should airbag be deployed, the force will kill the child; face & throat will be smashed in, Instant Fatality is almost certain.

• Praise 1

Had seen so many times Dummies who drove with children on their laps.

My feelings would always be: alarmed & dismayed that there are people who showed love the wrong way.

Probably they think that it should be ok as long as they drive slowly.

In the event of any sudden braking, the child would be the cushion between the driver & the steering.

Should airbag be deployed, the force will kill the child; face & throat will be smashed in, Instant Fatality is almost certain.

I still see quite often some parents allow pre-schooled, stand between two front seats.

http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/his-baby-dies-after-he-crashes-car

The court heard that after the hospital visit on Sept 22 last year, Ng had driven his silver Nissan Latio in the extreme left lane of the four-lane Central Expressway towards Seletar Expressway and then made his way to a slip road into Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3.

His wife, who was expecting their second child, was sitting in the front passenger seat and cradling the girl.

Assistant Public Prosecutor (APP) Asran Samad said that Ng failed to keep a proper lookout and crashed into the rear of a stationary SBS bus around 8.40am.

The poor girl ended up dead...only 1.5yo.

I have seen too many parents who did the same in their cars.

i think MCFers are concerned drivers hence I would expect us to be aware of such unsafe practices.

The issue is that the vast majority of motorists that are unaware and continue to have such unsafe behaviours..

I don't know why we're even talking about it........it's about as legal as driving through a red light. Most (if not all) parents with kids are at an age when, at the time they past their tests, child seats were already a legal requirement.

I need urgent help. if my car seat belt has no ALR. how to install my non isofix baby car seat rear facing in it?

Got a new Subaru Forester Xt today and realised I cannot drive my baby around....

(edited)

I need urgent help. if my car seat belt has no ALR. how to install my non isofix baby car seat rear facing in it?

Got a new Subaru Forester Xt today and realised I cannot drive my baby around....

Some pics of your car seat will be helpful.

Offhand, put your cat seat facing back in the back seat area. Pull the seat belt and extend it long enough to loop it behind the car seat then into the seat belt securing clip. Then manually retract the excess belt.

Reference below may help too.

http://cpsafety.azurewebsites.net/articles/lockincss.aspx

Edited by Aukang
  • Praise 1

not to be rude, but i'll be direct, how much do you treasure your baby's life? he/she kena injured or worse, die, u can bear? will u regret and say "if only i had bought another child seat that can fit into my forester's seat"?

anyway on the light side, you already pay so much for car, can't be u wanna save small money for safety of your baby right. nothing is worth more than your child's life. i would recommend you buy a isofix child seat for your forester. and in my opinion, i feel that isofix is safer because got some locking mechanism instead of just relying on seatbelt. but that's just me. 

Ishiwgao

If I don't treasure my babies' lives, I'll put my 1.5 yr old facing front and in the middle rear seat already and solve all problems!

The issue here is both of them, when older one is 1.5 yrs and my 2nd one is here, they still need to face backwards and how is the maid going to squeeze through 2 car seats that are rear facing to get to the middle? And from what we understand, the middle seat cannot fix isofix. We don't mind buying a new isofix for the side but we do need 1 to install with seatbelt in the middle for sure.

We have called Subaru up and the salesperson doesn't even know whether we can change our seatbelt to ALR coz we very much prefer that to solve things easily. We will have more options for car seats too. But the thing is, The Forester does not recommend middle child seat fitting due to the hump on the seat but our baby car seat seems to fit snugly in there, so we don't think it's an issue. It's just that the seat belt doesn't hold up the top back portion of the rear facing car seat properly.

Edited by pills

@pills, did you pulling the seat belt to make sure there is no slack before securing the belt with the locking clip? At least for my baby seats, u will need to pull the belts all the way to the end, secure the seat, then tighten the seat belt. My car seat belts has no ALR, only ELR, but the seats are very snug even without the locking clip. Do check the baby seat manual to confirm that you have secured the seats correctly.

@pills, did you pulling the seat belt to make sure there is no slack before securing the belt with the locking clip? At least for my baby seats, u will need to pull the belts all the way to the end, secure the seat, then tighten the seat belt. My car seat belts has no ALR, only ELR, but the seats are very snug even without the locking clip. Do check the baby seat manual to confirm that you have secured the seats correctly.

Hi there,

do you mean, I need to pull out of the way and then lock with locking clip so that excess seat belt is on the horizontal lap part?

Bro pills... Easiest solution... Don't bring maid out la...

We employ maid to help with the kids and don't bring her out, might as well don't want maid. :P

Hahaha... anyway, cannot lo, I travel out without hubby often, how to bring 2 kids below 2 out and run errands like grocery shopping? My maid is the damn blur type. Leave 1 kid with her still ok, I won't be able to leave infant with her kind. She's slow and damn blur!!

Edited by pills
  • Praise 1

Hi there,

do you mean, I need to pull out of the way and then lock with locking clip so that excess seat belt is on the horizontal lap part?

We employ maid to help with the kids and don't bring her out, might as well don't want maid. :P

Hahaha... anyway, cannot lo, I travel out without hubby often, how to bring 2 kids below 2 out and run errands like grocery shopping? My maid is the damn blur type. Leave 1 kid with her still ok, I won't be able to leave infant with her kind. She's slow and damn blur!!

Perhaps u can take a picture of the baby seat.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1