2015 Nissan Serena S-Hybrid 2.0 MPV

Zavi

Now that I am convinced that auto-door is a must-have, the alternatives open up. The prices of Highway Star, Noah & StepWGN are really similar. Really hard to choose. The good thing about Highway Star are Tan Chong brand, configurable seats, cruise control. The good thing about Noah are Toyota's reliability, easier to fold-up third row, and possible addition of curtain airbags. The good thing about StepWGN are easier to fold-down 3rd row, waku waku door and road tax.

So, abstracting away all the technicalities, I will choose:

1. Serena if seat configuration and PI are the top priority

2. Noah if reliability is the top priority

3. StepWGN if running cost is the top priority.

I believe many bro here are also deciding between these models. How will you choose?

I have chosen. haha... but on a serious note, I don't think any of these models will pose any reliability issues here. As for running cost, if you talk about the readily availability of spares and parts from TC, as promised by T8 (of coz not forgetting ready parts and spares from our friendly neighbour with favorable exchange rates) , then is a duel between Serena and Spada. Not forgetting Serena is cheaper and OMV higher. I have considered for quite awhile before making the choice. Be it Serena or Spada, both are excellent choices!

All the best in your decision!

Edited by Tonyking
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

I do like Stepwagon for its waku doors but not sure if 1.5L is sufficient for full capacity. As for the Serena and Toyota triplets, not concerned over reliability as all are Japanese cars like what Tonyking has said.

The flexibility of Serena seats are good if I do need the 8th seat on occasions if the entire household has to come along. The only thing I would have preferred is original Japan leather seats as I read that locally fitted ones do not last. Given the current price, it is likely to be stuck with the ride for 10 years.

Other than the reliability of the PI, I will consider the overall cost taking into consideration the mandatory loan amount and period by each seller, and the PARF refund value. In view of this, I'm swayed towards Serena for now.

Any idea what grade of petrol is recommended for Serena? Any particular brand? I've used SPC, Esso, and now Caltex for my current ride.

Edited by Zavi

I do like Stepwagon for its waku doors but not sure if 1.5L is sufficient for full capacity. As for the Serena and Toyota triplets, not concerned over reliability as all are Japanese cars like what Tonyking has said.

The flexibility of Serena seats are good if I do need the 8th seat on occasions if the entire household has to come along. The only thing I would have preferred is original Japan leather seats as I read that locally fitted ones do not last. Given the current price, it is likely to be stuck with the ride for 10 years.

Other than the reliability of the PI, I will consider the overall cost taking into consideration the mandatory loan amount and period by each seller, and the PARF refund value. In view of this, I'm swayed towards Serena for now.

Any idea what grade of petrol is recommended for Serena? Any particular brand? I've used SPC, Esso, and now Caltex for my current ride.

Actually petrol brand is personal preference. 95 should be sufficient for Serena.

Is it true that the 2nd row middle seat can slide it to the first row to create a small walk way for kids walk to the 3rd row?

nissan-serena-s-hybrid-review-2012-20.jp

Serena-S-Hybrid-5-630x417.jpg

• Praise 1

Yes.... seen and tested it at the PI demo car.. :)

Is it true that the 2nd row middle seat can slide it to the first row to create a small walk way for kids walk to the 3rd row?

nissan-serena-s-hybrid-review-2012-20.jp

Serena-S-Hybrid-5-630x417.jpg

Yes.... seen and tested it at the PI demo car.. :)

double confirm + chop. There are levers in the front and back of the center seat. It is very easy to move this center seat at the driver seat, 2nd and third row. This is the most unique design of this MPV.

With this design, the left seat at the 2nd row can be push in to join with the right seat to form a bench, thereby, moving the walkway to the side near the left door. At this configuration, the 3rd row passenger can move in and out without disturbing the passengers at the 2nd row. For other 7-seater MPVs, although there is a center walkway, when the third row passengers move in and out, one of the 2nd row passenger must get out to make room.

I used to drive a 1998 Ford Winstar in 2007 for a year. Its 2nd row is a 2-seater bench, closer to the right side. We have a baby seat there, with the mom sat beside her. They were not disturbed by the 3rd row passengers.

Hence, this moving 2nd row center seat makes the car more fun, practical and useful.

double confirm + chop. There are levers in the front and back of the center seat. It is very easy to move this center seat at the driver seat, 2nd and third row. This is the most unique design of this MPV.

With this design, the left seat at the 2nd row can be push in to join with the right seat to form a bench, thereby, moving the walkway to the side near the left door. At this configuration, the 3rd row passenger can move in and out without disturbing the passengers at the 2nd row. For other 7-seater MPVs, although there is a center walkway, when the third row passengers move in and out, one of the 2nd row passenger must get out to make room.

I used to drive a 1998 Ford Winstar in 2007 for a year. Its 2nd row is a 2-seater bench, closer to the right side. We have a baby seat there, with the mom sat beside her. They were not disturbed by the 3rd row passengers.

Hence, this moving 2nd row center seat makes the car more fun, practical and useful.

1 thing I forget to try/test on what you mention is:

"With this design, the left seat at the 2nd row can be push in to join with the right seat to form a bench, thereby, moving the walkway to the side near the left door. At this configuration, the 3rd row passenger can move in and out without disturbing the passengers at the 2nd row"

What will happen to the seat belt? I mean 1 part of the seat belt will be at the B-frame right?

So when the left seat is move inner to the middle, will seat belt be pull toward the middle too. the passenger need to unbucket the seat belt 1st to let ppl move to the 3rd row?

Thanks.

Hi Simpleonly, the seatbelt for the left seat is affixed to the B Pillar. So the passenger has to unbuckle the seat belt.

Edited by Wildaltum

The boot space is it able to store 2x29" luggage and a baby stroller if the 3 row seat is not folded to the side?

I noticed that the boot space got a hidden compartment, does it mean there is no spare tire?

The boot space is it able to store 2x29" luggage and a baby stroller if the 3 row seat is not folded to the side?

I noticed that the boot space got a hidden compartment, does it mean there is no spare tire?

Spare tyre is underneath the front passenger seat.

Found another review of Serena, compared to Noah/Voxy.

http://carnews.beforward.jp/searchs/detail/entry_id=218279/category=impression

Summary below.

1. More comfortable seats for adults than Noah/Voxy

"... seats are big enough that an adult could easily feel comfortable riding in them ... than that of its competitors".

2. An 8-seater MPV that can transport a full-size bicycle

"... move the Smart Multi Center Seat all the way to the front of the minivan, then there is enough room to transport a bicycle."

3. Serena is more noisy than Noah/Voxy

"The noises from the engine also penetrate the cabin more than the Toyota models"

Spare tyre is underneath the front passenger seat.

Sorry, my oversight. The version we are getting has no spare tyre. It comes with a tyre patch kit instead.