Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Divers

Trying to be Jack of all trades. 

The soft sidewalls makes PS4 a very comfortable tyre for daily use. 

The dry grip is definitely not as good as PSS but wet grip and resistance to aquaplaning is there. 

Have been enjoying my PS4 for 4mths after I ditched my Pirelli PZeros after 1 month.

Size: 225/45/17

You've been on PSS before? How much dry grip is lost in comparison to PSS? 

I assume the information below is bulls**t?

Where does the Pilot Sport 4 sit?

- While Pilot Sport 4 replaces the Pilot Sport 3, it’s an improvement on the Pilot Super Sport, not a “new” Pilot Sport 3, in design and technology. In comparative testing in 18" sizes, Pilot Sport 4 outperforms the Pilot Super Sport in 99% of everyday situations, with the added benefit of 10-15% improved wear. The other 1% is on a dry track where the Pilot Super Sport would outperform the Pilot Sport 4 by a couple of tenths of a second around a long track. For more track focused track drivers we will expand the range of Pilot Sport Cup 2 over the next few years.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

You've been on PSS before? How much dry grip is lost in comparison to PSS? 

I assume the information below is bulls**t?

Where does the Pilot Sport 4 sit?

- While Pilot Sport 4 replaces the Pilot Sport 3, it’s an improvement on the Pilot Super Sport, not a “new” Pilot Sport 3, in design and technology. In comparative testing in 18" sizes, Pilot Sport 4 outperforms the Pilot Super Sport in 99% of everyday situations, with the added benefit of 10-15% improved wear. The other 1% is on a dry track where the Pilot Super Sport would outperform the Pilot Sport 4 by a couple of tenths of a second around a long track. For more track focused track drivers we will expand the range of Pilot Sport Cup 2 over the next few years.

Yes. Wet and aqauplaning PS4 better than PSS. But dry grip PSS is better (which the Q&A rightly pointed out). I cant quantify how much grip is loss unlike the testers. Solely based on butt feel... PSS has better dry grip. Its more noticeable when u take curves above 80km/h.

Price and value for money will be PS4. 

Dry grip and looks will be PSS. 

I voted with my wallet.

Edited by Glyuen

Yes. Wet and aqauplaning PS4 better than PSS. But dry grip PSS is better (which the Q&A rightly pointed out). I cant quantify how much grip is loss unlike the testers. Solely based on butt feel... PSS has better dry grip. Its more noticeable when u take curves above 80km/h.

Price and value for money will be PS4. 

Dry grip and looks will be PSS. 

I voted with my wallet.

Gosh! There have been instances where I almost spun out but the PSS somehow didn't give up and kept me from losing control. I hope PS4 performs well. It definitely performs better than the AS3 that Goodyear has based on reports.

Yes. The font of the Pilot Super Sport looks more atas than the Pilot Sport 4. When you couple that together with tire shine. Wow! Super nice!

Just got my car fitted with PS4s in 235/40/18! Oh my do they perform way better than the Goodyear AS3s. No screeching when driving in car parks. No loss of traction when cornering hard. That said, when compared to PSS, its' dry grip is slightly inferior. Probably 90% of what PSS has. Gave up trying to find 225/45/18. Do get these tires. They are awesome for the price. Sidewall is softer than PSS for sure but not ridiculously soft like the AS3s. 

Just got my car fitted with PS4s in 235/40/18! Oh my do they perform way better than the Goodyear AS3s. No screeching when driving in car parks. No loss of traction when cornering hard. That said, when compared to PSS, its' dry grip is slightly inferior. Probably 90% of what PSS has. Gave up trying to find 225/45/18. Do get these tires. They are awesome for the price. Sidewall is softer than PSS for sure but not ridiculously soft like the AS3s.

I have a preference for firm sidewall tyres too.

Will ask tyre shop whether it's firm or soft sidewall when choosing my tyre.

I have a preference for firm sidewall tyres too.

Will ask tyre shop whether it's firm or soft sidewall when choosing my tyre.

Can use hand to press the sidewall also when the tyres are on the floor.. Very obvious for the soft side wall tyres.

Shop asked me corner fast or slow.. Then points to a set of Pirelli to me.. And ask me press the sidewall of the Pirelli Pzero vs Michelin PS3.. Very different. No right or wrong for different preferences

Edited by Chucky2007
  • Praise 1

No need press.

Juz look at load index.  If higher than other tyres, it means stiffer side wall.

If it states XL, side wall should be very stiff.

To be fair, i pressed the sidewall of the PS4 and then felt that it was soft compared to other tires. But strangely, it drives better than most tires out there except the PSS. I have no idea how Michelin combined comfort and performance. Maybe they sacrificed a bit of dry grip to do that. Other than that PS4 is really bang for your buck given how cheap they are going. Also my PS4 made in germany this time. Should have gone with a slightly wider tire for 240 bucks instead of the 230 I paid for the AS3. 

go 1 big round... talk like no talk

Get PSS if you want absolute performance. Get PS4 if you want some comfort and some extra money to spend on a tank of gas.

To be fair, i pressed the sidewall of the PS4 and then felt that it was soft compared to other tires. But strangely, it drives better than most tires out there except the PSS. I have no idea how Michelin combined comfort and performance. Maybe they sacrificed a bit of dry grip to do that. Other than that PS4 is really bang for your buck given how cheap they are going. Also my PS4 made in germany this time. Should have gone with a slightly wider tire for 240 bucks instead of the 230 I paid for the AS3. 

Get PSS if you want absolute performance. Get PS4 if you want some comfort and some extra money to spend on a tank of gas.

i dun think PS4  is anyway more comfort then pss.

but rather its better then PSS in the wet,

but lose out in the dry.

No need press.

Juz look at load index. If higher than other tyres, it means stiffer side wall.

Nor really.. Using a csc5 with load rating of 100v.. Sidewall is softer than previous dueler load rating 97.

• Praise 1

i dun think PS4  is anyway more comfort then pss.

but rather its better then PSS in the wet,

but lose out in the dry.

Haha it does feel more comfy when driving on the KPE.

Haven't had a chance to test out the PS4 in the wet so I can't comment on that.

PSS is still quite good in the wet. You can floor the throttle without worrying about too much wheel spin in the rain.

No need press.

Juz look at load index.  If higher than other tyres, it means stiffer side wall.

correct me if I am wrong

Load index tells you how heavy load this tyre(1pc) can stand maximum

it got nothing directly related to sidewall feel

look at runflat tire feld like stone and yet the load index number is the as normal tire of the same size 

! thing for sure high speed cornering is better to use stiff sidewall (less roll) and easier to control you car at any changing of lane (more responsive)

↡ Advertisement