Malaysian students in S'pore

Jman888

$550 (or RM1650) for secondary school [sweatdrop]
still have to spend on daily transport and brave the morning jam [sweatdrop]

Parents of Malaysian students in S'pore considering options due to higher costs
Nelson Benjamin The Stars
Friday, Oct 2, 2015
20151002_ST_MalaysianstudentinSg.jpg?ito
A student doing his homework in the bus as he makes his journey home from Singapore to Johor Baru
Photo: The Straits Times
JOHOR BARU - Thousands of parents whose children are schooling in Singapore will have to fork out more, not just because of the weakening ringgit, but also due to the increase in school fees beginning next year.
Many of them are now scouting for local private or international schools as the school fees and transportation cost have now come up to almost RM2,000 per child per month.
More than 10,000 children from Johor brave predawn and afternoon traffic jams at the Causeway to attend school in Singapore.
They are picked up at designated areas around the city by about 4.30am to 5am so that they can make it in time for school which starts at 7.10am.
Housewife V. Meena, 47, whose two children are studying in the island republic, said it would now cost her an additional S$120 (RM360) for both her children.
"One of my sons is in primary and another in secondary school there," she said, adding that her younger child's new fees would be S$370 (RM1,110), S$20 (RM60) more while fees for her elder child would be S$550 (RM1,650), an increase of S$100 (RM300).
Meena said she would have to look at other options such as putting them in local private or international schools.
"Whatever I do, I need to think about them as surely they will miss their schoolmates whom they are close to," she said.
Lawyer L.M. Looi, 46, said he too was looking at other options for his son who is in Primary 5 in Singapore.
"It is not just the increase in school fees next year, but the cost of transportation has also gone up to almost RM900 per month this year," he said.
Gregory Lui, 47, said that his son would be going to secondary school and the S$100 increase to S$550 per month would be a burden.
"When my son started in Primary One, we were paying about S$125 per month. The fees seem to be always increasing," he said.
Lui is also considering Malaysian private or international schools in the state.
Another parent who wanted to be known as Mrs Chang, 39, said she would have to bear with the increase as it was too late to take out her 11-year-old son.
"My 13-year-old son, who was initially there, opted to come back to Malaysia as he was unable to cope with the stress of studying there. He is now studying in an international school here," she said, adding that she pays about RM1,300 per month for his school fees.
Singapore's Ministry of Education in a statement on Tuesday announced that it would be revising the school fees for students who are Permanent Residents (PRs) and international students (IS) in government and government-aided schools from January 2016.
The increase is part of its periodic review of school fees and to further differentiate fees by citizenship.
Fees will increase by between S$20 (RM60)and S$60 (RM180) per month for PR students and by between S$20 and S$150 (RM450) per month for IS.
School fees for Singapore citizens remain unchanged - it is free at primary level, S$5 (RM15) for secondary level and S$6 (RM18) for pre-university level.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Interesting. The parents mentioned are either Indian or Chinese.

Parents would do whatever it takes to give their children a leg up. I wouldn't want my child "educated" in Malaysia either, frankly.

• Praise 5

i bet you 101% they will still continue cos if their kids are enrolled in their boleh land school how to be singapore mp like 啊花 or 啊khaw

cos everyone knows education is key to break the poverty cycle.

see i cant write well...always kana suan by people as ah beng

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 14

most likely are children of businessman, normal household income of RM10K will find it shiong to support say 2 kids to study in singapore.

it used to be easier when exchange rate less than RM2 and cheaper fee.

most likely are children of businessman, normal household income of RM10K will find it shiong to support say 2 kids to study in singapore.

it used to be easier when exchange rate less than RM2 and cheaper fee.

jb policeman confirm can have the capability to send their kids here.

• Praise 1

do they have a stake in our country?

if not, why are we educating their children?

cannot be for the puny school fees right?

:D

• Praise 5

msian put their kids in spore school

spore put their kids in international school

msian send their kids to spore uni

sproean send their kids to usa/uk uni

one mountain is higher than another mountain ... normal la

my mom said ...

if want to eat salty fish must tahan thirsty ...

wake up at 4:00am, pick up at 5:00am, get to school by 7:00am

i really empathize the kids ... even adult cannot than this schedule ...

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 6

Must show this picture to my son.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

To tap the talent from bolehland, should offer than some type of scholarship..... then psycho them become citizen...... since inside don't want them, we grab lor....

• Praise 2

Must show this picture to my son.

not that bad lah, some parents here ferry their kid from one tuition to another , few days a week until the poor kid has to eat in the car [:(]

To tap the talent from bolehland, should offer than some type of scholarship..... then psycho them become citizen...... since inside don't want them, we grab lor....

They have the ASEAN Scholarship for this. Only the very talented in Asean.

• Praise 1

To be frank. They can't blame our gahment....they can only blame ah jit ge for the exchange rate nightmare...

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

They have the ASEAN Scholarship for this. Only the very talented in Asean.

That's good... [thumbsup] Grab their brightest....

For those xmm not so bright can open leg one... can offer them special pass.... [rolleyes]:nosebleed:

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

well, this is a correct policy, although i feel sorry for the kids

a country must always help its citizens first

• Praise 8

do they have a stake in our country?

if not, why are we educating their children?

cannot be for the puny school fees right?

:D

They ain't a citizen so why our tax payer money need to be used to educate their children? When our children get charged a leg and arm for oversea UNI education...can we complain? We choose what we want....we pay what we want...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3