Problem starting car

Pirate

Neutral Newbie

Need some advice from experienced bro.

I experienced this problem once when I can't start my Altis. .
Batt was ok so the mechanics suspected spark plug.
Changed that but didn't solve and they discover that the "pump" is not pumping petrol to the engine so got they changed as well.

Initially it was ok. But now it will usually take me 3 attempts before it get started.

Any idea what is the possible causes? And if want to fix, how much will it cost?

Considering whether to expand coe or scrap so want to have a feel of what is the repair cost likely to be to help make the decision.

Thanks in adv.

↡ Advertisement

Changed that but didn't solve and they discover that the "pump" is not pumping petrol to the engine so got they changed as well.

Initially it was ok. But now it will usually take me 3 attempts before it get started.

Any idea what is the possible causes? And if want to fix, how much will it cost?

Considering whether to expand coe or scrap so want to have a feel of what is the repair cost likely to be to help make the decision.

Thanks in adv.

Did your mechanic check the starter?

Edited by Airwaver

To solve the problem with starting up, the repair cost usually won't cost a bomb, more importantly to find actual cause. It could be faulty starter motor, cam sensor, fuel pump, corroded battery terminal, and many more.

Good luck bro!!

Edited by Optramagnum

2 problems due to "no start"

1. Engine turnover - battery, wiring/terminal, starter motor

2. Engine firing - air, fuel, ignition, compression

If your case is no. 2, then you have to check for:

1. Air - blockage due to idling control, dirty throttle body

2. Fuel - fuel pump, fuel pressure, fuel injectors

3. Ignition - spark plug, spark plug cables, ignition coils

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 2

This issue usually is battery fault. First thing to do is do a battery test. Not many workshops know how to do a proper test to see if the battery is good. It's to test to see CCA not the voltage. If there's not enough CCA in the battery your car will have a problem starting. Other parts not getting enough power it will not work so previously whatever you had replaced the parts could still be working. Those inexperienced ppl could have replaced it for no good reason.

Did the mechanic check for fuel pressure? Try turning the key to the ON position and waiting while the fuel pump pressurizes the system, then crank when it's done.

Neutral Newbie

Haha. Any good and experienced mechanic to recommend? Want to do a general health check too before confirm renewal. Don't want wait sekali 1 problem after another.

If the cause is what bro mentioned above, what is the repair cost like?

Thanks in adv.

if your car cannot start and your mech replace the spark plug for u ,

u really can change mech, in any case, u can alway question him back, why after replacement of parts, still got problem?

2 problems due to "no start"

1. Engine turnover - battery, wiring/terminal, starter motor

2. Engine firing - air, fuel, ignition, compression

If your case is no. 2, then you have to check for:

1. Air - blockage due to idling control, dirty throttle body

2. Fuel - fuel pump, fuel pressure, fuel injectors

3. Ignition - spark plug, spark plug cables, ignition coils

Follow this advice, it's good. 3 basic things needed for ignition are listed, typically the problem comes from either fuel or ignition. Your spark plugs are replaced and you can start the engine, so likely that spark plugs are good. Fuel pressure is actually a likely candidate as I faced the same issue last time. There was a leak in a breather hose which made it harder to start the engine, but once started it runs perfectly.