Crocodile sightings in Singapore

Neutrino

Sorry, for crocs and potentially dangerous it should be AVA.

http://www.ava.gov.sg/contact-us

Let's avoid this culture of "hunting" in case the animals are dangerous. If need be, contact the SPCA or Herpetological Society for advice. They welcome even roadkills and dead specimens.

https://www.facebook.com/herpsocsg

Edited by Seohster
↡ Advertisement

your friend would love langkawi

monitor lizards overrun some of its beaches and don't even attempt to avoid humans

Maybe too many monitor lizard for his friend to catch liao. Lol.

http://iyb2010singapore.blogspot.sg/2010/12/busting-myths-about-monitors.html#.ViHH2YluvFo

Apart from the mouth and the tail, a monitor lizard is armed with sharp talons on its limbs; 20 claws in total. These claws, which help the lizard to climb trees and dig burrows, may be put to good use if a lizard is seized; thrashing about would likely cause some serious lacerations.

Nonetheless, despite all these weapons, it appears that the Malayan water monitor is far more likely to flee rather than fight; even at Sungei Buloh, where the monitor lizards are relatively unafraid of humans, there do not seem to be any incidents in which a monitor lashed out and attacked a person. And so it seems that while the Malayan water monitor does have the potential to cause a great deal of damage in self-defence, by and large these giant lizards are quite harmless, and pose little if any threat to people, as long as we keep a respectful distance and don't attempt to harass or catch them.

Let's avoid this culture of "hunting" in case the animals are dangerous. If need be, contact the SPCA or Herpetological Society for advice. They welcome even roadkills and dead specimens.

https://www.facebook.com/herpsocsg

Huge 50-year-old elephant killed by German tourist in Zimbabwe

HARARE (AFP) - A German tourist has killed one of the biggest elephants seen for years in Zimbabwe, wildlife groups said on Friday (Oct 16), reviving the fierce debate over trophy hunting after the shooting of Cecil the lion.

The unnamed hunter was reported to have paid US$60,000 (S$82,653) to shoot the male elephant, which was at least 50 years old, on private land near the border with South Africa, sparking condemnation by tour operators and conservation groups.

"This elephant, which was more than 50 years old, was shot and killed outside Gonarezhou National Park last Thursday (Oct 8)," Emmanuel Fundira, chairman of the Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe (SOAZ), told Agence France-Presse.

Mr Fundira said the elephant was "so huge its tusks were almost hitting the ground while it was standing. "We have never seen any animal that big."

Mr Fundira said that SOAZ believed that the animal should have been treated as a "national treasure" rather than killed.

"We need to discipline ourselves and hold such iconic things sacred," he said.

Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority spokeswoman Caroline Washaya said she was not aware of the hunt, which was legal if the correct permits were issued.

"We are disgusted. It's wrong to kill an iconic animal like that," said Johnny Rodrigues, chairman for Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, adding that the elephant's tusks weighed 54kg.

"The last time one was seen (of such size) was more than 40 years ago. The hunter should not have shot it."

In July, American dentist Walter Palmer incensed animal rights activists worldwide when he shot and killed Cecil the lion with a powerful bow and arrow.

Cecil was a well-known attraction among visitors to the Hwange National Park and was wearing a tracking collar as part of an Oxford University research project.

Zimbabwe this week abandoned its bid to press charges against Mr Palmer, saying his papers "were in order" and that he did not know he was committing any offence.

The Zimbabwean Parks department recently vowed to increase patrols after at least 26 elephants were poisoned to death by poachers in separate incidents over the past month.

No wonder so many calls from jin Bak phui...they need our help...lolx

• Praise 8

http://iyb2010singapore.blogspot.sg/2010/12/busting-myths-about-monitors.html#.ViHH2YluvFo

Apart from the mouth and the tail, a monitor lizard is armed with sharp talons on its limbs; 20 claws in total. These claws, which help the lizard to climb trees and dig burrows, may be put to good use if a lizard is seized; thrashing about would likely cause some serious lacerations.

Nonetheless, despite all these weapons, it appears that the Malayan water monitor is far more likely to flee rather than fight; even at Sungei Buloh, where the monitor lizards are relatively unafraid of humans, there do not seem to be any incidents in which a monitor lashed out and attacked a person. And so it seems that while the Malayan water monitor does have the potential to cause a great deal of damage in self-defence, by and large these giant lizards are quite harmless, and pose little if any threat to people, as long as we keep a respectful distance and don't attempt to harass or catch them.

I believe most of these reptile, if you dont harass or attack them, they pose little threat to us.

• Praise 1

One of the "out of nowhere" location I ever encounter monitor lizard was at junction of Ubi Ave 3 and Ubi Rd 3.

The 2m long monitor lizard crawl under my car to cross the road, while I was waiting to turn right towards Ubi driving centre.

Where did that come from?

• Praise 1

One of the "out of nowhere" location I ever encounter monitor lizard was at junction of Ubi Ave 3 and Ubi Rd 3.

The 2m long monitor lizard crawl under my car to cross the road, while I was waiting to turn right towards Ubi driving centre.

maybe it was doing road works.

some are also engaged for cleaning jobs

lizardmain.jpg

• Praise 3

The monitor lizard never get killed on the road eh?

maybe it was doing road works.

some are also engaged for cleaning jobs

lizardmain.jpg

This one is huge

The monitor lizard never get killed on the road eh?

Amazingly, no.

Cars let it cross 1st.

Turbocharged

Out for a late afternoon jog/walk along a popular park connector beside Sungei Ulu Pandan and I spotted something in the canal. At first I thought it was a log, but the tail started to move.  Was it a crocodile?  I can't really tell but I think not, given that the head didn't look like a croc, but what do I know?

Here is some video footage shot from my phone camera.

• Praise 2

Out for a late afternoon jog/walk along a popular park connector beside Sungei Ulu Pandan and I spotted something in the canal. At first I thought it was a log, but the tail started to move.  Was it a crocodile?  I can't really tell but I think not, given that the head didn't look like a croc, but what do I know?

Monitor lizard....

Croc swing with it nose under water. This lizard had his head up on water surface. 

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Out for a late afternoon jog/walk along a popular park connector beside Sungei Ulu Pandan and I spotted something in the canal. At first I thought it was a log, but the tail started to move. Was it a crocodile? I can't really tell but I think not, given that the head didn't look like a croc, but what do I know?

I believe that is our resident MCF Croc @tianmo

• Praise 1

Supercharged

this one can eat one... looks delicious