Crocodile sightings in Singapore

Neutrino

@tianmo spotted lah...buaya

move on folks...nothing to see here

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

@tianmo spotted lah...buaya

move on folks...nothing to see here

If I am the CEO, this one caught is just the bangala sweeping the floor for me. You guys haven't see me transform yet. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Beware.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/warning-signs-put-up-after-crocodile-spotted-at-changi-beach-9149566

Warning signs put up after crocodile spotted at Changi Beach

SINGAPORE: The National Parks Board (NParks) has put up warning signs at Changi Beach Park following reports of a crocodile in the area.   Channel NewsAsia understands the signs were put up on Monday (Aug 21).

Video and photos circulating on social media appeared to show a crocodile in the waters around Changi Beach.  One eyewitness, who did not want to be named, said that he had seen a crocodile near Changi Point Ferry Terminal for the past four days, including near the boardwalk area close to the ferry terminal.  He added that he had also made reports to the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) and to NParks.  The latest sighting comes after at least two sightings were reported at Pasir Ris Park earlier this month.

A crocodile was seen at the mudflat of Sungei Tampines in Pasir Ris Park and another sighting was reported in the waters off the park's beach on another occasion.  According to wildlife photographer Jeffery Teo, the Changi crocodile is probably the same as the one spotted in Pasir Ris, as crocodiles are usually spotted on the north-west side of Singapore but rarely in the north-east. "I think it's highly unlikely there are two crocodiles ... my gut feel is that it's probably just one crocodile," he said.

"In Kranji, Sungei Buloh, we do see crocodiles regularly, but (the one in) the north-east is a rare sighting, so this particular crocodile is gaining a lot of interest."  He added the crocodile was an estuarine crocodile and that it could possibly have come from Malaysia, but that it was probably a "transient crocodile".  "(It's) just exploring, it hasn't located a place to stay, that's why you see it moving to different places."  He added that it could possibly stay put in Changi, depending on how good the environment was.

Responding to the sightings at Pasir Ris, NParks had said they were likely to be of estuarine crocodiles as they are known to "swim freely in the Straits of Johor".  It told visitors to keep to designated paths and away from water edges. Should members of the public encounter a crocodile, they should "stay calm and back away slowly" and not approach, provoke or feed it, NParks added.

If members of the public need help, they should call the NParks helpline at 1800-471 7300. More information on estuarine crocodiles can be found on NParks’ website.

• Praise 2

Buaya spotted at east coast park...

The sign is quite ridiculous. Feed the crocodile get summon for $3000. [laugh]

If someone gets bitten on the leg or something, considered feeding the buaya or not?

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/environment/croc-seen-at-east-coast-sailing-centre-halts-activities

ST_20171108_CROC08_3544021.jpg?itok=OGdY

The National Sailing Centre (NSC) has suspended its water activities after a crocodile was spotted at a construction site at East Coast Park on Monday. It was seen in the water at the site, where a canal is being built.

A spokesman told The Straits Times yesterday that workers at a construction site nearby saw the large reptile on Monday afternoon.

About 120 sailors were affected when activities were halted.

"The Singapore Sailing Federation informed the National Parks Board (NParks) immediately and called off all water training immediately," said the NSC spokesman.

"As the safety of the participants is our priority, on-water activities will be ceased until further notice."

The spokesman said this was the first time a crocodile has been sighted near the sailing centre.

There were two reported sightings of crocodiles near Pasir Ris Park in August.

Mr Chia Seng Jiang, group director of parks at NParks, said the agency was alerted on Monday and Tuesday to sightings of a crocodile in the waters near NSC. "It was likely an estuarine crocodile," he said. "Estuarine crocodiles are known to swim freely in the waters between Singapore and Malaysia."

NParks is working with the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority to monitor the sightings, catch and relocate the crocodile.

"We have also advised the operators of establishments along the coast to take the necessary precautions," said Mr Chia. Advisory notices have been put up in the area.

A parent, who declined to be named, said: "All these kids shouldn't be allowed to sail in the area unless that crocodile is relocated."

He added that there is a sailing regatta coming up next weekend involving about 200 schoolchildren at the NSC. "Many of the parents are very worried now. Because this is a National Ranking regatta, they fear they will be forced to put their kids in harm's way."

Yesterday, signs were put up at the beach near the NSC advising beachgoers on what to do if they encounter a crocodile.

The NSC spokesman said it is looking for alternative areas where it can hold events temporarily. "We will continue to observe the area to ensure it is safe before any water activity is conducted," he added.

NParks advises East Coast Park visitors to keep to designated paths and away from water edges. Those who encounter a crocodile should stay calm and back away slowly. They should not approach, provoke, or feed the animal. Those who need help should call the NParks helpline on 1800-471-7300.

• Praise 4

Buaya spotted at east coast park...

The sign is quite ridiculous. Feed the crocodile get summon for $3000. [laugh]

If someone gets bitten on the leg or something, considered feeding the buaya or not?

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/environment/croc-seen-at-east-coast-sailing-centre-halts-activities

ST_20171108_CROC08_3544021.jpg?itok=OGdY

waa even East Coast Park is not spared... i wonder how did the buaya get there in the 1st place. its not opposite to Johor... 

also no bikini babes at ECP  [laugh]  [laugh]

waa even East Coast Park is not spared... i wonder how did the buaya get there in the 1st place. its not opposite to Johor... 

also no bikini babes at ECP  [laugh]  [laugh]

Maybe swam from Darwin region.

so what should they put?

I'm thinking why the authorities always have to use fine to scare/deter ppl as though they are children?

Or do they desperately need the money to put away a crocodile? Which I highly doubt.

I'm thinking why the authorities always have to use fine to scare/deter ppl as though they are children?

Or do they desperately need the money to put away a crocodile? Which I highly doubt.

i'm guessing this is standard SOP for warning signs to public. eg. no feeding of monkeys...

↡ Advertisement