Amendments to Women’s Charter Bill

Jman888

Gentleman please have your say now.

Public feedback sought on amendments to Women’s Charter Bill
The public consultation will start on Monday and end Nov 8, says the Ministry of Social and Family Development.
POSTED: 19 Oct 2015 10:01

stock-mother-02.jpg
A mother pushes her child in a pram. (File photo: Francine Lim)

SINGAPORE: Members of the public are invited to give feedback on the draft Women’s Charter (Amendment) Bill, which includes proposed amendments such as a mandatory parenting programme for divorcing parents.

The public consultation will start on Monday and end Nov 8. It will be hosted on Government e-consultation portal REACH, the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) said on Monday (Oct 19).

The proposed amendments seek to:

a. Put the child’s interest first in divorce through a mandatory parenting programme for divorcing parents;

b. Allow maintenance for incapacitated men who cannot work;

c. Enhance protection for women, girls, residents at places of safety and professionals engaged in protection work; and,

d. Void a marriage that is a marriage of convenience under Section 57C of the Immigration Act.

The MSF is also proposing to extend the mandatory Marriage Preparation Programme to marriages where at least one party is a minor.

Members of the public can submit their feedback on the proposed amendments via the following channels:

• Email to: [email protected],

• Fax to: 6708 7138, or

• Post to: Family Development Group, Ministry of Social and Family Development, 20 Lengkok Bahru, #04-02, Singapore 159053

- CNA/cy

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

The entire bill should be repealed. AWARE should step up and applaud the repeal as it marks a significant move towards equality

• Praise 8

The entire bill should be repealed. AWARE should step up and applaud the repeal as it marks a significant move towards equality

• Praise 4

c. Enhance protection for women, girls, residents at places of safety and professionals engaged in protection work; and

WTF is that supposed to mean? Better protection for female bodyguards?

c. Enhance protection for women, girls, residents at places of safety and professionals engaged in protection work; and

WTF is that supposed to mean? Better protection for female bodyguards?

security guards and bouncers lah...

Long time ago.. one spouse(usually wife) will give up a career to bring up the children. 

Hence upon a divorce, the wife gets alimony and the children go with the wife due to the needs of the young kid.  

Now... so many challenges to improve standard of living.. duo income families are the norm...

please phase out such outdated and generic laws. 

• Praise 4

Long time ago.. one spouse(usually wife) will give up a career to bring up the children. 

Hence upon a divorce, the wife gets alimony and the children go with the wife due to the needs of the young kid.  

Now... so many challenges to improve standard of living.. duo income families are the norm...

that why now they have this 

b. Allow maintenance for incapacitated men who cannot work;   [sweatdrop] 

that why now they have this 

b. Allow maintenance for incapacitated men who cannot work;   [sweatdrop] 

Why men must be incapacitated to get maintenance?  Women can be CEO and still get maintenance.. :a-bang:

• Praise 4

The Women's charter was needed in the old days to protect women so that they were not short changed. In today's world, this has become antiquated as the majority of women go out to work.

It's about time that this antiquated law is changed. The Court is more than capable of giving fair verdicts without this Charter obstructing and forcing them to abide by it n I hope a fairer law is in place as I know of some short changed husbands who were not given fair judgement due to this Charter!

• Praise 11

By introducing more regulations to marriage, it simply deters more ppl from getting married in the first place.

Any learned individual who bothers to read the Act and compare it to any Sales and Purchase / Joint Venture agreement, will never agree to the terms.

It is so one sided with few viable exit clauses.

I am all for the protection of the innocent children, but at least be fair and reasonable with Divorce when things do not work out. Most divorces are initiated by women. The Act favours women. So why would any guy agree to this?

A union without the cert is by far the most rational choice. I hope the govt realises that the wording of the Act is the direct cause of divorces and low birth rates. 

• Praise 2

The Women's charter was needed in the old days to protect women so that they were not short changed. In today's world, this has become antiquated as the majority of women go out to work.

It's about time that this antiquated law is changed. The Court is more than capable of giving fair verdicts without this Charter obstructing and forcing them to abide by it n I hope a fairer law is in place as I know of some short changed husbands who were not given fair judgement due to this Charter!

Exactly.  Nowadays is Tiger Mum !!.  And recently, on TV they call it Lion<ness> Mum,  for Sg I suppose.

On Channel 8, they call it, Hu Ma, Mao Pa.  (Tiger Mum, Cat<kitten...lol> father).

Esp in Sg's context, it's remotely relevant & prone to abuse.

• Praise 3

Exactly.  Nowadays is Tiger Mum !!.  And recently, on TV they call it Lion<ness> Mum,  for Sg I suppose.

On Channel 8, they call it, Hu Ma, Mao Pa.  (Tiger Mum, Cat<kitten...lol> father).

Esp in Sg's context, it's remotely relevant & prone to abuse.

Is there a CH 8 show with plot of a woman making use of WC to extract alimony from the man?

and then the woman is rich and successful and the man is down on his luck and thrown in jail..

I recall something like that on TV but the details were not developed around the WC. No mentioned of the WC.

It was as if this was the norm for the law.

• Praise 1

Is there a CH 8 show with plot of a woman making use of WC to extract alimony from the man?

and then the woman is rich and successful and the man is down on his luck and thrown in jail..

I recall something like that on TV but the details were not developed around the WC. No mentioned of the WC.

It was as if this was the norm for the law.

no.  the show was some conversation show about family issues.  Something like in conversation.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1