Using credit card oversea

Bluepica

In the head lor.

You can have many cards leh. And the cards change every few years.

On top of all the other passwords/numbers u need to remember, sounds like a recipe for getting the numbers confused for me.

• Praise 1

You can have many cards leh. And the cards change every few years.

On top of all the other passwords/numbers u need to remember, sounds like a recipe for getting the numbers confused for me.

I have quite a few cards but only one or two that I use for online purchase. So far, I don't have issues remembering the 3 digits. Then again, I also don't black it out.

I have quite a few cards but only one or two that I use for online purchase. So far, I don't have issues remembering the 3 digits. Then again, I also don't black it out.

I can remember most of the time, but sometimes i get mixed up between the few cards i have and use. 

Well you can always write down in a hard copy in the house. 

Edited by Lala81

Recently got con by Firefly.

I choose to pay in Singapore dollars. Cos need to claim from friend.

Guess what, their exchange rate is using S$1 = RM$2.3

Paid extra about s$150.

Just to share my experience....

Like what most of mcf people said, always choose to pay in foreign currency unless there's a sudden surge in that foreign currency.

Try not to change your currency in sg airport (unless last minute travel and you have nil $). You are better of using credit card. Lower or equivalent rates but at least rewarded with whatever reward plans you are in.

SC Manhattan used to be my favorite. But after their "review" of rebate and tier I gave up. In fact their conversion rate is among the highest/least favourable.

Citi mastercard and boc union pay is what I use now.

Most cash rebate card has become very stingy / stringent.

Definitely cash is lowest rate unless sudden drop like uk pound last week.

where u note down the ccv nunbers ? :D

Very simple. I take my CCV numbers, multiply by 3, square it, minus 10, then store the result in my mobile phone contact under MIL's number. Just rework the sum & you will have the CCV number.

• Praise 1

Very simple. I take my CCV numbers, multiply by 3, square it, minus 10, then store the result in my mobile phone contact under MIL's number. Just rework the sum & you will have the CCV number.

Better to use cash..

• Praise 2

Recently got con by Firefly.

I choose to pay in Singapore dollars. Cos need to claim from friend.

Guess what, their exchange rate is using S$1 = RM$2.3

Paid extra about s$150.

Wow. Daylight robbery

hmm... you're right. Manhattan has credit back. Wonder if applies for air tickets... Should be, right?

tks... will check this out.

Tks...

will also check this out.

Yup just checked my bill. Got 90 plus cash back on my 3k plus charged. I only use this card like occasionally for such occasions.

Yup just checked my bill. Got 90 plus cash back on my 3k plus charged. I only use this card like occasionally for such occasions.

Tks... called up stanchart last night after i dug out my manhattan card. They confirmed everything also eligible, but must be >3k in a bill cycle then got 3%, else it's just either 0.5% or 1%. Our tickets should qualify for 3%.

tks again for the tip... looks like this is the best offer in the absence of better deals.

Tks... called up stanchart last night after i dug out my manhattan card. They confirmed everything also eligible, but must be >3k in a bill cycle then got 3%, else it's just either 0.5% or 1%. Our tickets should qualify for 3%.

tks again for the tip... looks like this is the best offer in the absence of better deals.

Yup I write down the bill cycle dates in ever note. So once I make a big purchase. I just charge everything into that bill cycle. Even my usual eating out or groceries bills. Edited by Lala81

Turbocharged

Do you guys enable your Singapore credit card for Overseas usage when you travel to other Country?

Example : Malaysia

Do you know how it works?

Example : If you dont enable the Overseas usage function?

Below answer from UOB CSO

If I dont enable my Singapore UOB credit card for overseas usage,

ONLY those Credit card  machine with smart chip function are still able to deduct the amount from your credit card when you use it Overseas.

Most of the Malaysia Merchants are using the smart chip function machine.

Most of the Singapore merchants are also using the Smart chip function machine.

I am wondering what is the point of having enable/disable the (UOB) Overseas usage function?

Do you guys enable your Singapore credit card for Overseas usage when you travel to other Country?

Example : Malaysia

Do you know how it works?

Example : If you dont enable the Overseas usage function?

Below answer from UOB CSO

If I dont enable my Singapore UOB credit card for overseas usage,

ONLY those Credit card machine with smart chip function are still able to deduct the amount from your credit card when you use it Overseas.

Most of the Malaysia Merchants are using the smart chip function machine.

Most of the Singapore merchants are also using the Smart chip function machine.

I am wondering what is the point of having enable/disable the (UOB) Overseas usage function?

kiasu and just in case [laugh]

Hypersonic

btw now pump petrol in malaysia cannot pay at the pump with cc already

because pin is required and sg cc no pin one

(edited)

I believe that when they say 'enable', they meant enable the magnetic strip for swiping.

I think the strips are more prone to being clone.

But I am not exactly certain. I travel about 6 times each year around SEA (for work) and have not enable my strips. Only using the smart chips.

Edited by w7_lee
  • Praise 1

Since on this topic

Any idea how to check the exchange rate of credit card?

I last went to dubai to buy some clothing and bought a handbag.

The clothing i used citibank, and the rate very jialat, its like $3-4 dollar lost in $70 transaction

But i used amex for few k transaction and to my dismay the exchange rate is good, similar to money changer.

Any way to check before qe swipe?

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Since on this topic

The clothing i used citibank, and the rate very jialat, its like $3-4 dollar lost in $70 transaction

But i used amex for few k transaction and to my dismay the exchange rate is good, similar to money changer.

if want to count until like that, then better full cash yo....

i simply consider that few dollars every transaction a convenience fee for me to bring less cash

scared lose the cash overseas or tio robbed

• Praise 3

Since on this topic

OK we got your msg, you ASK one time spend a few K transaction on AMEX.  [thumbsup]  [laugh]  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4