Renault Fluence 1.5 dci

Sopskysalat

just to elaborate on how the change in tax will affects these cars. hope i didnt get my sum wrong. on surface, it might make sense that you should buy now before the price shoots up later. on the other hand, AD will not bring in such cars since it is going to cost more than most of their competitors. the fact that they are bringing them now is precisely due to tax rebate making them competitive.

so you will be owning a model that is most certain to be obsoleted or AD would be bringing other models. maybe it is still a good buy, i really also unsure.

Obsolescence is definitely a consideration. But even if the diesel models stop, I would think AD will honour warranties as well as perform servicing. Otherwise it will be a huge dent to the make's reputation itself. I still see Skoda Superbs plying the roads.

Another possibility is offering trade-in for petrol/petrol-hybrid models, assuming they are attractive enough.

Then again they might retain a couple of diesel models in their offerings for those of us who want them for all the FE and torque goodness and willing to fork out the surcharge.  

↡ Advertisement

New Megane Sedan is expected to incur $10K surcharge per this table. Still a good buy I reckon.

This is interesting. The actual losers are not diesels. They are normal petrol cars. Look at the Mazda 3 vs Megane - both are 10k. And the Qashqai with 20k surcharge is even worse!

Of course this doesn't take into account that Mazda and Nissan are still more popular brands than Renault, but the point is that diesel cars in general may not be as dead as people think (or hope).

Let's say both Megane 1.2 TCe and 1.5 dCi attract the same 10k surcharge. I am sure somw people will still take the diesel for its FC.

• Praise 1

So seems like Renault diesel engine is "cleaner" than some petrol engines.  [confused]

To top it off, it does not require AdBlu too! [thumbsup]

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

It uses a particulate filter and hot exhaust gases to burn off the trapped soot particles. That's the bit that can be quite polluting... we do not know yet how the whole scheme will work right?

• Praise 1

So seems like Renault diesel engine is "cleaner" than some petrol engines.  [confused]

To top it off, it does not require AdBlu too! [thumbsup]

Actually BMW diesels also don't use adblue and I also wonder why some need and some don't need this adblue. Isn't it better your diesel car don't require adblue?

But is it so straight forward as that or is there more to it than meets the eye? Surely those manufacturers whose diesels require adblue would have looked at those cars which didn't require adblue and follow suit? But why didn't they?? 

• Praise 3

Actually BMW diesels also don't use adblue and I also wonder why some need and some don't need this adblue. Isn't it better your diesel car don't require adblue?

But is it so straight forward as that or is there more to it than meets the eye? Surely those manufacturers whose diesels require adblue would have looked at those cars which didn't require adblue and follow suit? But why didn't they?? 

AdBlue helps reduce NOx emissions (= lower VES surcharge?). https://www.rix.co.uk/blog/2016/7/adblue-what-diesel-vehicle-owners-need-to-know/

With DPF alone, NOx emissions are higher. Plus the DPF needs to be regenerated regularly for which one needs to drive the vehicle at 70 kmph+ for 10 min or more at least every 500km or so. https://www.holtsauto.com/redex/diesel-particulate-filters-all-you-need-to-know/

BUT AdBlue needs to be topped up and it's not cheap, thus eating into assumed fuel savings. Plus it's one more thing to fill up at the fuel station. And if you forget to top and it runs out, the car won't move. Also it's one more mechanism added. More complexity and complications.

All said, I think I am happy with just the DPF in Fluence. Regeneration is not an issue with my driving patterns. Just need to change the fuel filter element every 30K/40K or so and it costs around $30/40 at stockists (from what I've learnt from fellow MCF-er @koolaba). Less complicated mechanics.  

However, if it's mostly city driving and short trips, DPF will get clogged pretty soon. Selective Catalytic Reduction methods using Diesel Engine Fluid (like AdBlue) might be more suited in that case (in SG, better to go with petrol). 

This video is very helpful in understanding all these:

• Praise 1

On that note I think all AD selling diesel cars ought to remind their buyers:

- potential for DPF clogging if only drive short trips, cos the exhaust doesn't reach high enough temperature to burn off the trapped soot particles

- therefore, diesel not suitable for short trips and low mileage owners

- need to drive at least 10-20 mins of expressway every week to help regenerate the DPF

Of course I want to protect the environment but as an owner lets face it, DPF clogging is priority concern as the DPF is not cheap!

Different cars use different tech... I feel PSA system is the most advanced when it comes to DPF. They inject a fluid called Eolys which increases exhaust temperature so the trapped particles can burn off more easily.

• Praise 3

(edited)

Is this car worth buyin?

1) reliability of gearbox?

2) timing belt?

3) warranty exclusions?

4? Electronic failure?

5) resale value ?

6) made in Turkey vs made in france

It's going very cheap now. Honest views pls

Edited by Friendstar
  • Praise 1

Is this car worth buyin?

2) timing belt?

3) warranty exclusions?

4? Electronic failure?

5) resale value ?

I saw high spec selling at 95k at car expo. Competitive pricing.
  • Praise 1

Is this car worth buyin?

2) timing belt?

3) warranty exclusions?

4? Electronic failure?

5) resale value ?

I've had it 13 months now and have had no issues so far. Gear shifts are smooth once you get the hang of it. Electronics work fine and reliably so. Haven't had it long enough to replace timing belt or test the warranty.

Not sure of resale value but there's some talk on the diesel thread that once VES kicks in next year, resale value of cars like these might go up as new diesel vehicles would be rarer and more ex. 

Not had French-made Renaults before to compare, but european manufacturing and build quality seems solid. 

For a more detailed take: 

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_reviews.php?CarCode=11636&RID=4496#comments4496

Since my review I have taken it on the NSH and enjoyed peak mileage of 24.1 kmph. Fuel economy and space (much more than you can expect from a 1.5l) are the key reasons you would go for this. If as the post above suggests, you get the Privilege for 95K, that's a fantastic deal for all the bells and whistles.

Having said that, you are getting a relatively old model with the Fluence, and the new Megane would be a far superior modern car, if finances permit.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

I've had it 13 months now and have had no issues so far. Gear shifts are smooth once you get the hang of it. Electronics work fine and reliably so. Haven't had it long enough to replace timing belt or test the warranty.

Not sure of resale value but there's some talk on the diesel thread that once VES kicks in next year, resale value of cars like these might go up as new diesel vehicles would be rarer and more ex. 

Not had French-made Renaults before to compare, but european manufacturing and build quality seems solid. 

For a more detailed take: 

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_reviews.php?CarCode=11636&RID=4496#comments4496

Since my review I have taken it on the NSH and enjoyed peak mileage of 24.1 kmph. Fuel economy and space (much more than you can expect from a 1.5l) are the key reasons you would go for this. If as the post above suggests, you get the Privilege for 95K, that's a fantastic deal for all the bells and whistles.

Having said that, you are getting a relatively old model with the Fluence, and the new Megane would be a far superior modern car, if finances permit.

seems like unpopular brands are improving and moving up the ladder . French are getting more reliable, Korean getting more value for money. Seems like only Japanese like Toyota moving backwards hahah. design also looking dated. old ppl always said dont take things for granted. toyota too complacent and recent company reported result is bad ..so wake up! 

On that note I think all AD selling diesel cars ought to remind their buyers:

- potential for DPF clogging if only drive short trips, cos the exhaust doesn't reach high enough temperature to burn off the trapped soot particles

- therefore, diesel not suitable for short trips and low mileage owners

- need to drive at least 10-20 mins of expressway every week to help regenerate the DPF

Of course I want to protect the environment but as an owner lets face it, DPF clogging is priority concern as the DPF is not cheap!

Different cars use different tech... I feel PSA system is the most advanced when it comes to DPF. They inject a fluid called Eolys which increases exhaust temperature so the trapped particles can burn off more easily.

Not hard to squeeze in a slightly longer journey every week to clean the DPF. I guess in general anyone who considered or bought a diesel would have done substantial reading up since it is not at all common in singapore,and would have come across the procedure for cars with DPF.

It is another thing though, if there is a fine print in the warranty document that excludes liability if found owner did not "drive the car hard enough"

• Praise 1

Is this car worth buyin?

2) timing belt?

3) warranty exclusions?

4? Electronic failure?

5) resale value ?

1) Reliable. My dad has clocked 25,000 km already. Mixture of highway and school runs in crowded estate.

2) Timing belt standard mileage lar...

3) None so far. Wearnes have been really good and professional.

4) So far so good. Not too concerned cos Renault has Nissan expertise on reliability for a decade already.

5) Unknown especially given the upcoming VES.

6) Build quality isn't good. Door panel seams uneven. Plastics a bit crude, especially around edges and fittings. You can feel that the car is built to a budget. Generally for the French cars, the build quality still not up to par... lacking in the little details... the Korean Elantra and K3 feel much better put together. So does the Japanese Mazda 6. The Thai Toyota Corolla Altis is marginally poorer in build quality to the Koreans and Mazda.

Worthwhile to buy it... reliable... but feels cheap. Diesel rattle quite prominent now after about 13 months... but the dual clutch is really shiok to drive especially coupled to the diesel torque.

• Praise 2

Worthwhile to buy it... reliable... but feels cheap. Diesel rattle quite prominent now after about 13 months... but the dual clutch is really shiok to drive especially coupled to the diesel torque.

Mine actually got quieter as time goes by...

I'm also starting to find that fuel brand seems to have an impact on idle quality.

Between the major brands, Caltex > Esso > Shell >>>>>>>>>>> SPC.

Tried SMART Energy for a while, idle is noticeably rougher. Trying Cnergy now, it's about the same.

Of course, can add an extra 10-20k for the newer generation cars such as Kadjar/Megane etc. and have perfectly smooth idle... 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

seems like unpopular brands are improving and moving up the ladder . French are getting more reliable, Korean getting more value for money. Seems like only Japanese like Toyota moving backwards hahah. design also looking dated. old ppl always said dont take things for granted. toyota too complacent and recent company reported result is bad ..so wake up! 

The ocean waves effect :yeah-im-not-drunk: Consumers love such competitions.  :a-good: 

• Praise 1

Mine actually got quieter as time goes by...

I'm also starting to find that fuel brand seems to have an impact on idle quality.

Between the major brands, Caltex > Esso > Shell >>>>>>>>>>> SPC.

Tried SMART Energy for a while, idle is noticeably rougher. Trying Cnergy now, it's about the same.

Of course, can add an extra 10-20k for the newer generation cars such as Kadjar/Megane etc. and have perfectly smooth idle... 

Interesting, I'm noticing the same thing. Been on Smart + Cnergy for about 9 months (i.e., since the Shell vouchers Wearnes gave expired  [sly] ). Idle sound was louder plus noisier acceleration (both get their fuel from SPC btw, which is probably why SPC is last on your scale).

Was forced to pump Shell recently through because I wouldn't last till Toh Tuck. Car felt smoother and quieter; pumped again with Caltex (even better discount 1.18/l instead of 1.30 with Shell) and it's feeling good as well, with mileage improvement of about 1.5-2 kmpl.

Question I have is why. Thought the big 4 was all about marketing and paying for their overheads, but could they be adding stuff (for real, that is - their marketing always claims so) to their diesel to improve mileage, performance, etc.? Or is it just our mind playing games since we paid more   [:/]

Would be great to have some fuelheads weigh in.

6) Build quality isn't good. Door panel seams uneven. Plastics a bit crude, especially around edges and fittings. You can feel that the car is built to a budget. 

Built to a budget yes (and thank heavens for that), but I didn't feel the build quality was not good. I do like the smudge-free nature of the plastics used and the ease with which you can clean the interiors. Haven't noticed anything sticking out badly.

But I confess, I haven't lived with a luxury conti so don't know what's the best out there. Compared to Jap and Korean cars though (mostly in Uber rides), have felt that the Fluence seems pretty well put together.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1