Renault Fluence 1.5 dci

Sopskysalat

(edited)

The car and engine is mechanically sound, safe and reliable. Only thing you need to take note is the dual clutch GB. Not as many complaints as DSG though are some potential issues. Can go local renaultcarclub (which is very quiet) or UK renaultcarclub look look see see. 

There are reports on erratic gear change due to "loss of gear 2,4,6", usually can be solved by changing the solenoid. Seems like quite a common issue with Renault automatics (even on the old 4AT).

I test drive the Renault Fluence 1.5 dCi privilege recently. Found it to be quite a nice drive.

Anyone currently driving this car can advise if it is a good buy?

Are there any reliability issues so far?

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement

Having all four doors equipped with lock and unlock sensors is quite helpful, I can attest. But mine doesn't auto-lock, unfortunately.

Though actually, aren't most keyless cars equipped with sensors on all four doors for unlocking? Usually you have to unlock the entire car via a passenger door, while driver's door is only driver's door...

Most cars I know up to now don't have the lock button/sensor on passenger doors.

Depends... some cars only have one button on driver's side - Corolla Altis... some have one each on front doors - Sonata... some have four like the Fluence. Most expensive Continentals have one on each door for convenience.

Test drove this car last week. 

What I like:

1. Diesel Cars have better FC and cheaper fuel

2. Very large boot space

3. Price wise similar to a Nissan Sylphy and a Honda City. Take that!

4. High torque and more than sufficient power

5. Be different on the road! 

Neutral Comments:

1. The basic model and the premium models are miles apart. The premium model has many more features. However, the price difference is quite significant as well

2. If you can get your hands on their management car, may be worth it as few months back COE is higher, but now they are selling at more than 10k cheaper, for just a few months of usage.

What I don't really like:

1. The steering is too light for a conti

2. Resale might be an issue? Not that it is not worth the price, but you need to find the right buyer

3. People might comment it looks and feels like a Renault taxi. 

4. Everyone (mostly other SEs) urging us to avoid French cars. I truly believe their quality is improving, but its still a big risk nevertheless

Renault taxi is the Latitude. A different model and one step up in terms of size.

Renault's reliability is good due to the tie-up with Nissan. I think Renault owned Nissan or part-owned Nissan during the period when Nissan was facing bankruptcy. Carlos Ghosn was made CEO of Nissan to revive the car company. Today I think he's in charge of Renault. He's helped Renault shed it's unreliable history due to the reliability know-how gleaned from Nissan. Since the last Megane, I think Renault has had pretty good reliability. Definitely better than Citroen or Peugeot.

The premium model's price premium is quite worth it in my opinion. My dad bought his for $107,000 Privilege trim last year. I agree that the plastics are not up to par, and the trimmings inside isn't very precisely cut or fitted. The doors are also very thin, doesn't look premium, in fact looks quite basic like taxi. The rear aircon is pretty useless, but the aircon power is quite ok, not the coldest around but adequate. 

The best feature is the door locking function placed on the centre console above the screen. With one touch, you can prevent people outside the car from opening your doors. But anyone inside can open any of the doors. That's a very useful feature. The walkaway unlocking is also very useful but you still have to watch to ensure that it is triggered. There have been occasions when my dad walked away and the car didn't autolock. The folding of the mirrors are a good indication that the car has autolocked since they fold as the car enters into the autolock mode.

The other nice feature is the 4 front and rear parking sensors and the display screen graphic. Helps with parking the car if you're into that sort of thing. I don't really use it though.

Finally, there's auto tire pressure monitors which are pretty useful to me cos tire pressure does really affect consumption as I found out rather belatedly.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Good day everyone.. Few days ago i have test drive the fluence 1.5 dci and it really caught my eyes and my heart. I am impressed by the overall feature and the strenght of the car. But due to the bad reputation.. I am still making my selection. The SE have explained alot of thing to me regarding the gearbox..motor..diff parts in the car.. To convince me that is reliable compare to last time. But se talk are sales talk.. Is my responsibility to do research.. Currently i am driving lancer glx manual..i travel alot to Malaysia as a outdoor sales.. I am also looking at mazda 3 deluxe...volk jetta and chevrolet cruz.. All around same price.. Feel free to advise me or give me ur pass experience on fluence. We can make this chat more lively.. Sorry for my bad English

Edited by kaposama
  • Praise 2

Don't have to worry about driving to Malaysia. Renault has some tie up with a service provider whom you can call to toy and recover your car if it should breakdown. Really I won't worry about the reliability of the Renault. The poor reputation was the model before the previous Megane.

Supercharged

I've ordered the Fluence and expect to get it end of the month. Let you know how it goes. 

welcome to Renault family. we have a renault grand scenic diesel for 2yrs and running fine. many ppl say renault not reliable but i think other wise. so far so good. touch wood. the best thing i like is value for money if you going to drive till 10yrs else resales sucks big time. no one even want to take. the next thing is the service level at the service center is top notch, even better than those premium brand like merc and bmw. we owned a merc too so i am in the positiion to say that. try the service center in the west pandan area. the SE is fantasic and they can even send u home if u stay not far like in jurong area and pick u when the car is done. of cos dont expect send u home if u stay too far..i only clock 800+km for 85% city driving on diesel. enjoy your ride.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Thanks Heman75. I test drove 4 other cars of similar class, and this was like-at-first-drive. The expected fuel economy was a key decision driver, but it also felt nice and cosy inside when driving. And that 4 full-size adults and 2 pre-schoolers were seated pretty comfortably during the test drive. I got the no-frills edition but it doesn't seem like a compromise.

The rest only real-life experience will tell. My first car - so looking forward to it!

Edited by sarathin
  • Praise 1

I have ask around my friend whom is driving and even my regular workshop uncle tell me i will myself. Currently Renault is trying hard to building up their reputation, i wish that more people driving 1.5 dci fluence now can advise more thing.  

Hi! I am interested to this car too.. however, the SE offered me 6-bid non guarantee COE make me put a step back to reconsider... For those friends who had placed order, can advise is that common for buying Renault?     

• Praise 1

I tried Renault Fluence as well. Powerful but I heard a wierd grinding sound when accelerating. SE says it is normal sound. But as far as power is concerned, feels more responsive than C4 picasso diesel which I tried recently. 

Checked with a colleauge who used to drive renault megane. He sold it at its 8 year cos from 7.5 years onwards, it started giving him issue. Every repair is a 4 figure cost. I guess after problem in a car after 8 years should be acceptable? Other than that, he says it is a reliable and good and comfy ride for him.

• Praise 1

From what i study in forum.. The sound maybe is produce due to diesel engine.. I never really notice it as my damm lancer glx is like 10 times louder lol... My se also asked me to go for 6 bid non guran.. He is very confident within 2 bid he can get it with current stable coe. That what he told me.. Don waste money go for guanetee

I have ask around my friend whom is driving and even my regular workshop uncle tell me i will myself. Currently Renault is trying hard to building up their reputation, i wish that more people driving 1.5 dci fluence now can advise more thing.

What else would you like to know?

I tried Renault Fluence as well. Powerful but I heard a wierd grinding sound when accelerating. SE says it is normal sound. But as far as power is concerned, feels more responsive than C4 picasso diesel which I tried recently.

Checked with a colleauge who used to drive renault megane. He sold it at its 8 year cos from 7.5 years onwards, it started giving him issue. Every repair is a 4 figure cost. I guess after problem in a car after 8 years should be acceptable? Other than that, he says it is a reliable and good and comfy ride for him.

Perfectly normal... my made in Japan Impreza also the same... about 7-8 years start to breakdown. Basic wear and tear. I don't pay four figure sums for repair cos I don't use the authorized dealer. I have my own mechanic. He either source re-conditioned parts or new parts for me. So save a lot. It's up to you what you want lor...

Bro teo... U already got the Renault fluence?..do u know how much the cost per servicing? And if the parts is easy to find anot?.. The Se told me all the parts is common in the market.. This part same as bmw that part same as nissan.. And also about the dual clutch gearbox.. What so special and is it very expensive if spoil?.. Sorry for so many question

Bro teo... U already got the Renault fluence?..do u know how much the cost per servicing? And if the parts is easy to find anot?.. The Se told me all the parts is common in the market.. This part same as bmw that part same as nissan.. And also about the dual clutch gearbox.. What so special and is it very expensive if spoil?.. Sorry for so many question

My father bought one... he's been driving since late last year Dec...

The engine is the same one that powers the Nissan NV200 goods or passenger van. So no worries, sure can get parts and is cheap. You can get them from a stockist. Cheaper than going back to Wearnes. He has not sent the car for any paid servicing cos mileage still low. But he was quoted $600+ by the SE. Just tahan the 5 year warranty period, then go out and do it lor... but Wearnes services at Renault is super duper. I think they will accommodate you if you just change oil outside.

Dual clutch gearbox is basically a manual gearbox but changing of gears is automated by the computer. It drives like an auto in that you just step on the gas and it will swap gears for you. It's similar like an manual gearbox in that at low speed, may have some juddering like never step enough gas. So just get use to it. The gear swaps are super fast and the gearbox super responsive at normal driving speeds.

The mid-range pulling power of the engine is really quite something.... if you're at 70 km/hr and want to go to 120 km/hr, it's a breeze... very fast to hit 120 km/hr.

The engine is used in Merc, Nissan, and BMW cos of some partnership. So it's really reliable. It has been used on the Nissan NV200 for like quite a few years already. Of course each brand will do some of their own secret tuning lar... so power output and torque as well as gearing ratios may be slightly different.

Overall I find the car very good to drive. Build quality can be better but is really good enough. The Privilege trim is the best to buy. Super good value. I didn't get it cos I felt best to have one diesel and one petrol car in the family. I just got my Hyundai Sonata VIII sunroof trim. That's a petrol car.

Hope this helps. Anything else just post here lar...

Pick the Flu or Mazzie.

Good day everyone.. Few days ago i have test drive the fluence 1.5 dci and it really caught my eyes and my heart. I am impressed by the overall feature and the strenght of the car. But due to the bad reputation.. I am still making my selection. The SE have explained alot of thing to me regarding the gearbox..motor..diff parts in the car.. To convince me that is reliable compare to last time. But se talk are sales talk.. Is my responsibility to do research.. Currently i am driving lancer glx manual..i travel alot to Malaysia as a outdoor sales.. I am also looking at mazda 3 deluxe...volk jetta and chevrolet cruz.. All around same price.. Feel free to advise me or give me ur pass experience on fluence. We can make this chat more lively.. Sorry for my bad English

Hi! I am interested to this car too.. however, the SE offered me 6-bid non guarantee COE make me put a step back to reconsider... For those friends who had placed order, can advise is that common for buying Renault?     

I booked it on guaranteed basis at a roadshow, and got the COE on the 2nd attempt. At the roadshow, the SE seemed fairly confident of securing within 2 tries. 

↡ Advertisement