More frequent inspection for illegal exhaust & engine

LiuDeHua

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/vehicles-with-illegal-mods-to-undergo-more-frequent-inspections

SINGAPORE - From next month (Nov 1), motorists caught with illegally-modified engines or exhaust systems in their vehicles for a second or subsequent time will be subjected to more frequent mandatory vehicle inspections.

Under this enhanced inspection regime, second-time offenders will be required to bring their vehicles for mandatory inspections every six months for a period of two years, while third-time or subsequent offenders will need to bring their vehicles for mandatory inspections every three months for a period of two years.

This represents a more stringent inspection regime as compared to that for normal vehicles, which are typically inspected once every one or two years, depending on their age and type.

"Any owner who does not comply with the inspection regime is guilty of an offence and can be fined up to $1,000 or jailed for up to three months on conviction for the first offence," the Land Transport Authority said in a statement Wednesday (Oct 28).

"On conviction for a second or subsequent offence of failing to comply, the maximum penalty will be doubled."

This latest move will complement existing penalties to deter motorists from modifying their vehicle engines or exhaust systems illegally.

Any person who is convicted of an illegal modification can be fined up to $2,000 or jailed for up to three months, for the first offence.

Repeat offenders can be fined up to $5,000 or jailed up to six months.

In addition, if a vehicle is found with a tampered engine, it will need to be deregistered and the owner may not be granted scrap rebates.

The LTA said illegal modifications can create serious safety and environmental hazards.

Once a vehicle's engine or exhaust system is modified without due certification and approval, the existing vehicle components may not be able to handle the increased power or speed. Such modifications may also affect the durability and reliability of a vehicle.

Currently, motorists may choose to legally install aftermarket exhaust systems that are certified to be suitable for the specific vehicle make and model.

These exhaust systems, which are specifically designed and engineered for a particular vehicle make and model, will have undergone testing either by the vehicle manufacturer or by independent test laboratories, to ensure compliance with internationally recognised standards.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

I say it is not enough.

First time offenders every six months for a period of 2 years.

Second time offenders every three months for a period of 2 years. 

Vehicle with emission problems, indicator lights not working etc, inspection every 6 months for a period of 2 years.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

I say it is not enough.

First time offenders every six months for a period of 2 years.

Second time offenders every three months for a period of 2 years. 

Vehicle with emission problems, indicator lights not working etc, inspection every 6 months for a period of 2 years.

seems like they are only focusing on illegally modified cars, and not poorly maintained cars.

• Praise 9

Hope to see more enforcement and not just on paper.

Also,not only for cars, but also motorcycles.

yes motorcycles with moded exhaust. catch and fine fine fine. bloody nuisance.

Edited by Mkl22

I don't get all these witchhunt on car modifications. True, if one wants to drive a fast and powerful car, just buy one lah, why mod?

Budden hor... Singapore's expertise is taking things that are already made and making it better. Correct or Corwrong?

The F5 Tiger comes to mind, in fact, most of the military hardware in Singapore are all modified and then even re-exported overseas as Singapore's product.

So, just because for domestic use, it's illegal?

Or because they don't understand why a Toyota must have strut bars, anti-roll cage, big exhaust pipes, lowered springs macam no money must act like their car can match their scholar's "continental" VW/BMW, then they must outlaw it?

Really, it is a witchhunt on a wild goose chase.

不会就要问,问了就要学,学了就要做,做错就要认...

yes motorcycles with moded exhaust. catch and fine fine fine. bloody nuisance.

Loud pipes save lives.

• Praise 2

seems like they are only focusing on illegally modified cars, and not poorly maintained cars.

Not true. What ever they do now has only one objective.

I believe many should know what it is [;)]  [idea]

Edited by Aaronlkl
  • Praise 7

I rather they spend more time and effort on how to stop Heavy Vehicles from modifying their speed limit device... Just imagine a trailer with container beat red light... at 60km/hr??!!! I doubt so...  [mad]  [thumbsdown]

• Praise 3

My aftermarket FGK cat-back has a ENDORSED certificate!

heng ahhhhhhhhh....................

Edited by Aaronlkl
  • Praise 4

Standing ovation....long overdue...had enough of those illegal exhaust that make hell lot of noise but the car just don't move.....sound fast...but not fast....:)

• Praise 5

Not true. What ever they do now has only one objective.

I believe many should know what it is [;)]  [idea]

Workshops, solar film installer all also huat ah!! 

Standing ovation....long overdue...had enough of those illegal exhaust that make hell lot of noise but the car just don't move.....sound fast...but not fast....:)

*cough* maserati *cough*

• Praise 2

My aftermarket FGK cat-back has a ENDORSED certificate!

heng ahhhhhhhhh....................

Skali ur certificate from degree mills how?....

• Praise 3