More frequent inspection for illegal exhaust & engine

LiuDeHua

Standing ovation....long overdue...had enough of those illegal exhaust that make hell lot of noise but the car just don't move.....sound fast...but not fast....:)

when I bought a 2nd hand car, it had illegal exhaust.

i quickly changed to legal one... which was a lot louder than the illegal one.... [hur]  [knife]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

when I bought a 2nd hand car, it had illegal exhaust.

i quickly changed to legal one... which was a lot louder than the illegal one.... [hur]  [knife]

Exactly! My legal FGK cat-back often wakes up car alarm in enclosed carparks.

No need rev hard, 3k rpm enuff liao..

• Praise 5

I say it is not enough.

First time offenders every six months for a period of 2 years.

Second time offenders every three months for a period of 2 years. 

Vehicle with emission problems, indicator lights not working etc, inspection every 6 months for a period of 2 years.

One would think that in the greater scheme of things, black / white smoke, brake light / indicator light rosak (this applies a lot to BMWs, or maybe BMW drivers don't know that they have indicator lights) would pose more of a hazard on the road.

But, LTA deems that illegal exhaust pipes are more dangerous.

Well, they are the ones behind the 130BHP Cat A/B categorization also. So....

I don't get all these witchhunt on car modifications. True, if one wants to drive a fast and powerful car, just buy one lah, why mod?

Or because they don't understand why a Toyota must have strut bars, anti-roll cage, big exhaust pipes, lowered springs macam no money must act like their car can match their scholar's "continental" VW/BMW, then they must outlaw it?

The price to buy a new Altis in Singapore, can probably get you a decent 5 Series or so in other countries.

I used to think that those ah beng modded Lancerlutions and Impreza 1.6 WRXes were lame, but aiyah, live and let live. As long as they happy and never harm others, why bother so much?

But LTA.... seems like nothing much good to say about their scholars. So, I better can it... haha..

• Praise 3

Then it is obviously not about the volume, it is about whether it has been tested and complianced.

An un-certified exhaust is $250, the exact same one recognized as compliant by the LTA via the authorized importing workshop, can cost up to four times more.

Of course, the feeling of having a certificate to wave in the LTA officer's gleeful face......priceless!

To me, stock is best, want to go faster, buy a faster car. Been down the mod route - its like taking a detour into Old Upper Thomson Road when you can just continue heading along Upper Thomson Road itself. It is fun the first few times, but after a bit, all you get for taking the detour are humps, monkeys, and wasted time and gas.

Edited by Macrosszero
  • Praise 6

Exactly! My legal FGK cat-back often wakes up car alarm in enclosed carparks.

No need rev hard, 3k rpm enuff liao..

4 inches FGK cat-back, 101% legal! [thumbsup]

post-25667-0-21206200-1446020636_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aaronlkl
  • Praise 14

Sub-standard leh... Only applies to SG vehicles.. What about foreign vehicles? Why not clamp down on them as well. There are so many Proton wiras whose exhaust pipes are larger than GTRs lor. Why catch only singaporeans? Want to implement must implement island-wide what.. 

• Praise 4

Neutral Newbie

Sub-standard leh... Only applies to SG vehicles.. What about foreign vehicles? Why not clamp down on them as well. There are so many Proton wiras whose exhaust pipes are larger than GTRs lor. Why catch only singaporeans? Want to implement must implement island-wide what.. 

Gahmen only want to suppress sinkies lah....Fine FT? Wait long long..

There are Malaysian plates that can hardly be seen n sooty exhaust that are allowed in but sg cars cannot, make me feel like second class citizen.

• Praise 8

you can stay stock or buy GTRrrrrrrrr .... [thumbsup] ... exhaust big like milo can [laugh]

workshop huat

lta also huat.

everyone huat except owner

Edited by Wt_know

"exhaust system is modified without due certification and approval, the existing vehicle components may not be able to handle the increased power or speed. Such modifications may also affect the durability and reliability of a vehicle.

Currently, motorists may choose to legally install aftermarket exhaust systems that are certified to be suitable for the specific vehicle make and model."

LTA is saying chapalang modified exhaust more power & branded legal exhaust cannot make it???

• Praise 2

Does this apply to JB motorbikes?

Got cert so what? The cert is not pasted big big on your car. So everytime an LTA officer spotted your aftermarket exhaust he will stop you nonetheless. Along your journey if you suay suay got spotted by 2 or 3 officers you will have to stop 2 or 3 times and show them your cert. So troublesome sia.

On a good day you get from point A to B on time but on a bad day the stopping & checking of your license, cert & etc will set you back 2 times or more to get to your destination.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

brake light / indicator light rosak (this applies a lot to BMWs, or maybe BMW drivers don't know that they have indicator lights) would pose more of a hazard on the road.

Don't stereotype like that lah. I almost always signal OK?

It has to be said that Singaporeans love to speed up to cut you off when you do that.

But luckily I can pretty much always force my way in (still safely) if they speed up after I signal. Gives me even greater pleasure to do that, actually. :D

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 3

When a boy was caught for drinking in class by a teacher, he was angry that the teacher caught him.

He kicked a big fuss and asked what is wrong with drinking in class? He did not spill the water and no one was affected by his actions. He then asked why not catch the students from other classes? Why catch him? Is the teacher targeting him? This is not fair. The teacher should catch every one, even the students from other schools. In fact should be nation wide.

He wasn't mature enough to understand how systems work, how laws work. All he cared about was how it is affecting him. 

In psychology, this is call the "centre-stage" mentality. Often found in teenagers.

LTA is saying they only approve exhaust that does not increase the power of the car significantly. Those that increase a lot should not be approved.

"exhaust system is modified without due certification and approval, the existing vehicle components may not be able to handle the increased power or speed. Such modifications may also affect the durability and reliability of a vehicle.

Currently, motorists may choose to legally install aftermarket exhaust systems that are certified to be suitable for the specific vehicle make and model."

LTA is saying chapalang modified exhaust more power & branded legal exhaust cannot make it???

If you don't mod your car, how will that affect you?

I am not bothered at all.

workshop huat

lta also huat.

everyone huat except owner 

Just because they don't put on newspaper, don't mean they are doing nothing. 

How often do you see speeding cars everyday? How often do you see them get caught?

Resource is limited. They have to balance and many sub departments are working on different things. It just happen the news today is on this.

I rather they spend more time and effort on how to stop Heavy Vehicles from modifying their speed limit device... Just imagine a trailer with container beat red light... at 60km/hr??!!! I doubt so...  [mad]  [thumbsdown]

• Praise 2

When a boy was caught for drinking in class by a teacher, he was angry that the teacher caught him.

He kicked a big fuss and asked what is wrong with drinking in class? He did not spill the water and no one was affected by his actions. He then asked why not catch the students from other classes? Why catch him? Is the teacher targeting him? This is not fair. The teacher should catch every one, even the students from other schools. In fact should be nation wide.

He wasn't mature enough to understand how systems work, how laws work. All he cared about was how it is affecting him. 

In psychology, this is call the "centre-stage" mentality. Often found in teenagers.

LTA is saying they only approve exhaust that does not increase the power of the car significantly. Those that increase a lot should not be approved.

If you don't mod your car, how will that affect you?

I am not bothered at all.

Just because they don't put on newspaper, don't mean they are doing nothing. 

How often do you see speeding cars everyday? How often do you see them get caught?

Resource is limited. They have to balance and many sub departments are working on different things. It just happen the news today is on this.

El nino doesn't affect Singapore directly. So why should we bother?

• Praise 3

One is a natural phenomenon but the other is an illegal act according to the law of the country. 

Er... this example also a bit weird like the previous example you gave about F5.

Policy and law formulation looks at generality of matters not specifics. The main rationale is that unmonitored modification of cars can impact their safety and hence impact the safety of the drivers, passengers and other road users.

It is true that certain modifications are harmless but imagine LTA has to create a new division just to certify every car after modification. It is neither effective nor efficient to have a database or system to monitor all modifications. That is a waste of taxpayer money.

I wouldn't want to waste my tax money so that civil servants can sit and listen to every driver why his modification is safe and justified everyday.

I think all the different bars and spring you mentioned are legal even exhaust pipes if it is approved by LTA but I stand corrected.

The F5 Tiger is a totally different thing. Modification of the F5 is about enhancing our capability to handle foreign threat while extending its life span to save money.

El nino doesn't affect Singapore directly. So why should we bother?

Edited by Pioneer
↡ Advertisement