More frequent inspection for illegal exhaust & engine

LiuDeHua

"exhaust system is modified without due certification and approval, the existing vehicle components may not be able to handle the increased power or speed. Such modifications may also affect the durability and reliability of a vehicle.

Currently, motorists may choose to legally install aftermarket exhaust systems that are certified to be suitable for the specific vehicle make and model."

LTA is saying chapalang modified exhaust more power & branded legal exhaust cannot make it???

not only that... they are implying that setting speed limits are useless and their speed cams/enforcement are incompetent.

these are the brains that made the Cat A 130bhp rule and also making a big fuss out of what are essentially metal pipes...

I'm not surprised it was mentioned that we lack good engineers in the rail network industry. Apparently the problem is not limited to the rail network.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

One is a natural phenomenon but the other is an illegal act according to the law of the country.

By allowing foreign vehicles which would clearly fail emission and other lta rules onto singapore roads looks like a we are measured by a different yardstick.

All lta needs to do Is to station a couple at the checkpoint and violators will come in tens if not in the hundreds.

Edited by nazerath
  • Praise 4

In the ideal world, this may make sense. In the real world, it means clearing custom takes longer time. The items you bought that are from malaysia directly or indirectly is going to get delayed or never coming at all because businesses may find it too much of a hassle.

Whi is going to certify exos from malaysia cars? Will Malaysia govt cooperate and issue certificates?

Too many challenges.

By allowing foreign vehicles which would clearly fail emission and other lta rules onto singapore roads looks like a we are measured by a different yardstick.

All lta needs to do Is to station a couple at the checkpoint and violators will come in tens if not in the hundreds.

Just because they don't put on newspaper, don't mean they are doing nothing. 

How often do you see speeding cars everyday? How often do you see them get caught?

Resource is limited. They have to balance and many sub departments are working on different things. It just happen the news today is on this.

Geez talk about giving excuses... I do see more cars, taxis and motorcycles being stopped more than trailers, truck etc. And it's not because of papers: -

Jun 2014 - Released in Straits Times

The Singapore Traffic Police's annual report, released in February this year, showed that fatalities caused by road accidents involving heavy vehicles in 2013 increased by 37.5 per cent from the previous year. The number rose from 32 cases in 2012 to 44 cases in 2013.

So any improvements? I don't know because things are done so "secretly"... Well, reminds me of a thai ads - I drive because I poor... Action speaks louder than words.

I everyday using BKE, sorry to said why don't go and catch those Malaysia modify vehicles. The newspaper show that 1181 offender in 2014 been caught, why don't they go checkpoint to do a inspection i think they can hit this numbers by one day [:|]  

• Praise 1

One simple thing that they can start to do, is to make those motorbikes who bend their rear license plate so that half of it cannot be visible at eye level, to bend it back down flat. Sure, when they leave the check point, they can bend it back again. But bend it often enough and it will break and they can't enter Singapore anymore.

• Praise 3

Don't stereotype like that lah. I almost always signal OK?

It has to be said that Singaporeans love to speed up to cut you off when you do that.

But luckily I can pretty much always force my way in (still safely) if they speed up after I signal. Gives me even greater pleasure to do that, actually. :D

No lah, not all BMW drivers don't signal, and not all other brand drivers signal.

It's just my observation. Usually if people signal in advance, I'll slow down so that they can cut in lor.. Lose one car or win one car, get to end destination also +/- 2 mins like that. Unless urgent go toilet, then I'll only give way to ambulance, everyone else, heck care...

Anyway, also observation, a lot of supercar drivers signal regularly. Then again, supercars, even if never signal, I also will let them in and just enjoy watching their backside. I don't mind looking at @sp4wn backside everyday... [laugh]

• Praise 1

The biggest CCB of LTA is, the exact same exhaust system, same brand, same spec, same model. As long as never pay $$$ go through whatever LTA lanjiao check is illegal. 

LTA ownself check ownself also ah? PUI, we all know what LTA has always been about. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LTA is saying they only approve exhaust that does not increase the power of the car significantly. Those that increase a lot should not be approved.

Got exhaust up power alot ah? Prease show me also. Of cos not those straight pipe la. 

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 1

No lah, not all BMW drivers don't signal, and not all other brand drivers signal.

It's just my observation. Usually if people signal in advance, I'll slow down so that they can cut in lor.. Lose one car or win one car, get to end destination also +/- 2 mins like that. Unless urgent go toilet, then I'll only give way to ambulance, everyone else, heck care...

Anyway, also observation, a lot of supercar drivers signal regularly. Then again, supercars, even if never signal, I also will let them in and just enjoy watching their backside. I don't mind looking at @sp4wn backside everyday... [laugh]

Want to see @Sp4wn already very difficult liao loh

• Praise 3

Driving with a modded muffler (which can be quieter than LTA approved aftermarket cat-back) is deemed an offence while driving with under inflated tyres is fine.

EASE OF ENFORCEMENT OVER PRACTICAL SAFETY CONSIDERATIONS! PTOOI PTOOI PTOOI!

And this repeat until sian line about 'car might not be able to handle the extra power'.

CAN YOU PLS BAN ALL THOSE PETROL THAT CLAIMS EXTRA POWER AND ACCELERATION TOO THEN UNLESS THE CAR MANUFACTURER APPROVED IT WITH A CERT!?!??!

Sorry about the all caps. LTA REALLY PISSES ME OFF. 130hp for Cat A and all that shit.

Edited by Ake109
  • Praise 5

This is what happens when you fill a transportation regulator with pencil pushers.

Car enthusiasts believe LTA is clamping down on owners of cars with noisy exhausts.

Mr Ben Wong, 25,who owns a Mitsubishi Evo and is one of the founders of a motoring blog, The Right-Wrong, said: "The illegal exhaust sets can be less noisy than the stock sets, but it is still considered illegal as it is not LTA-approved."

LTA said it's not just the noise, but whether the modifications are safe. (zhun bo?)

Modifications can be made to approved systems. But Mr Wong claimed the problem is that there are too few LTA-approved exhaust systems.

For instance, there are only 50 pieces of "Tomei" exhaust sets for Evos which have been approved for road use in Singapore,Mr Wong said.

They cost over $2,000 each, according to a workshop owner.He declined to be named.

Mr Wong added: "Even if you bought the exact same thing from the same company, the same model, the same size for the car, with all emissions and decibels within the legal limit, you would not be able to get the set LTA-approved.

"Only those 50 pieces which were sent for inspection by the importing workshop are considered LTA-approved." All 50 sets have been sold, the workshop owner told The New Paper.

- See more at: http://transport.asiaone.com/news/general/story/lta-hunting-down-cars-illegal-modifications?page=0%2C1#sthash.1NtDc1Oa.dpuf

One is a natural phenomenon but the other is an illegal act according to the law of the country. 

Er... this example also a bit weird like the previous example you gave about F5.

Policy and law formulation looks at generality of matters not specifics. The main rationale is that unmonitored modification of cars can impact their safety and hence impact the safety of the drivers, passengers and other road users.

It is true that certain modifications are harmless but imagine LTA has to create a new division just to certify every car after modification. It is neither effective nor efficient to have a database or system to monitor all modifications. That is a waste of taxpayer money.

I wouldn't want to waste my tax money so that civil servants can sit and listen to every driver why his modification is safe and justified everyday.

I think all the different bars and spring you mentioned are legal even exhaust pipes if it is approved by LTA but I stand corrected.

The F5 Tiger is a totally different thing. Modification of the F5 is about enhancing our capability to handle foreign threat while extending its life span to save money.

So here is the great divide between scholarly views and views on the ground. Granted that the F5 example is on a different level altogether, though the basis to extend the life span of the particular equipment and improve or bespoke the performance is actually the same between the two.

If the authorities can take their heads out of their asses and do factual studies on modification of cars, they would realise that their views do not hold much ground in reality.

A souped up Toyota or Subaru would not equate a reckless driver, decrease the car's on road capability, cause danger to other motorists just because it is going to suddenly stop moving or burst into flames. If we were just to flip through the past decade news clippings of road accidents, how many actually involved modified cars?

I am not supporting the illegal acts of lupping a big turbo onto a 2.0RS Subaru Impreza or a 1.6 Vios, because if you wanted turbo, buy a turbo charged car, simple. I just don't see the danger in changing a stock exhaust to a Fujitsubo exhaust. Are flames going to come out of the Fujitsubo?

Just as tax payers money shouldn't be wasted on setting up a separately new department to police illegal modifications, by coming up with this new ruling, they already are wasting resources. The only people who are going to benefit? Probably STA, VICOM for the increased traffic to their inspection centres.

• Praise 3

Huat ah! Catch all those mod exhaust illegally one. Also go and catch those window tint black black one. Also go and catch those HID in reflector lamp one.

I agree to certain extend illegal mod is safe. But not all safe. Change brake to better brake is safe in my opinion. Only those mod exhaust, thinking that with exhaust that can fit a Fuji Apple in can make a car go faster, put in KNN air filter can increase HP.

I do have a ex colleague who do this. Change exhaust, change filter, change iridium spark plug. Don't know what else he changed. He think he Honda Jazz can become Type R. These people are those in dream land.

electric bike user no $$$ to mlik

shld implement certification and authorised importer just like how they do it for exhaust.

then I go open e-bike shop and huat.

oops.. cannot... e-bike is abit more complex than exhaust... maybe exceed LTA's competencies for testing and certification.

This is what happens when you fill a transportation regulator with pencil pushers.

LTA like many gahmen people are filled with kiasu, kiasi, lazy type of people.

They make rules to suit themselves, and banned everything else, the easy way.

• Praise 4

I am guessing from your response that you may not have management experience and hence unable to see the difference between efficiency and effectiveness.

The most effective way to reduce such accident is through reinforcement of the law but it is also the least efficient.

The most efficient way to reduce such accident is through education and programme but it is also the least effective.

As of 2014, (https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltaweb/corp/PublicationsResearch/files/FactsandFigures/MVP01-1_MVP_by_type.pdf)

There are roughly 6 times more cars than trailers and truck, ceteris paribus, you will expect 6 cars/taxi/motorbikes being stopped by TP per 1 truck.

It is important to also know, statistical analysis is more accurate than personal experience. It is a established fact that our personal experience is not an unbiased sample and in statistics, biased sampling creates inaccurate results.

Remember our last election? Remember how accurate was the sampling voting results to the final one? As compare to all the hearsays? 

Geez talk about giving excuses... I do see more cars, taxis and motorcycles being stopped more than trailers, truck etc. And it's not because of papers: -

Jun 2014 - Released in Straits Times

The Singapore Traffic Police's annual report, released in February this year, showed that fatalities caused by road accidents involving heavy vehicles in 2013 increased by 37.5 per cent from the previous year. The number rose from 32 cases in 2012 to 44 cases in 2013.

So any improvements? I don't know because things are done so "secretly"... Well, reminds me of a thai ads - I drive because I poor... Action speaks louder than words.

↡ Advertisement