Our Very Own National Bird - Crimson Sunbird

Picnic06-Biante15

We have our national orchid and now, our national bird....... :a-happy:

Crimson Sunbird

Yahoo : Did you know that Singapore has a national bird?

Everyone knows Singapore’s national flower is the Orchid, but do you know that Singapore’s national bird is the Crimson Sunbird?

The Crimson Sunbird, or Aethopyga siparaja, was declared the national bird by Dr Shawn Lum, President of the Nature Society (Singapore) at the 6th Asian Bird Fair Fellowship Dinner on 31st October 2015.

The national bird was apparently chosen in a public vote at the society’s 1st Nature Day way back in 2002. In that poll, the Crimson Sunbird won with 400 votes, or 38 per cent of a total of 1038 votes. Yahoo Singapore has reached out to the Nature Society

(Singapore) regarding the 13 year gap between the vote and announcement, but has not received a response at the time of publication.

Many members of the public that voted for the bird commented that it was small, active and red, much like Singapore.

Other contenders were the White-bellied Sea-eagle, which was second in the vote count, followed by the Black-naped Oriole, Olive-backed Sunbird and the Greater-Racket-tailed Drongo.

One interesting fact about the Crimson Sunbird is that it was collected and named by none other than Singapore’s founder Stamford Raffles, who published his findings in a journal.

The bird can be seen at places like the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve, Central Catchment Nature Reserve, Pulau Ubin, Bukit Batok Nature Park, Singapore Botanic Gardens, Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve, according to the Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum.

Considering the small voting pool, it’s no wonder that hardly anyone knows about the Crimson Sunbird and many people believe the crane or joke that the Singapore Airlines is the national bird.

link : https://sg.news.yahoo.com/did-you-know-that-singapore-has-a-national-bird-083735196.html

Nice little cutie birdie .... :a-m1212:

post-21853-0-36844400-1446508954.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

not yet....they retracted 

Is the crimson sunbird Singapore's national bird? Er... not official yet
The crimson sunbird has been informally nominated by nature lovers as the national bird of Singapore.PHOTO: 

2111530016929_-_22_11_2013_-_zkbird24a.j

• Praise 1

The national bird should be the mynah. they are every where. They have made Singapore their home and hunting ground. They even integrate well into our kopi tiam culture. You'll see them occupying your seats or picking up food that you left behind. And shxt on the chair you sit.

This bird in the picture. Is he from around here?

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 2

The national bird should be the mynah. they are every where. They have made Singapore their home and hunting ground. They even integrate well into our kopi tiam culture. You'll see them occupying your seats or picking up food that you left behind. And shxt on the chair you sit.

FT la [laugh][:p]

• Praise 9

Any other birds as national bird I don't mind but not this noisy one .... :yuush:

birds-starling.jpg

nb...dun disturb my mascot hor...he bring me business...hehehehe

this one also

Tyto_alba_-British_Wildlife_Centre,_Surr

hahahaha!!!! everyday build and build

the true national bird

amdk!!!!! :XD:  :XD:  :XD:

aXpEVOP_700b.jpg

Walau the blue towel guy on the floor like @Porker waiting for bukkake liddat. :D

This mynahs have really overtaken the little sparrows; I remember in my old days used to so many sparrows all over, but see less of them nowadays, the mynahs are really noisy lot; they make lots of noise and seems like fights are very common between themselves; good entertainment though and they are bold enough to enter kopitiams and restaurants too      

This mynahs have really overtaken the little sparrows; I remember in my old days used to so many sparrows all over, but see less of them nowadays, the mynahs are really noisy lot; they make lots of noise and seems like fights are very common between themselves; good entertainment though and they are bold enough to enter kopitiams and restaurants too      

sometimes I will see 2 groups of mynahs fighting

lots of noise but no actual fight

then my kids will: fight!!! fight!!! fight!!!

:XD:  :XD:

Supercharged

The black mynah we see all over Singapore is originally from Java. The brown ones are native to Singapore but are seriously outnumbered by the FT mynah.

• Praise 4

Supercharged

Yup! Higher chance of seeing them after a shower, when the come out and bathe using the water on the leaves.

sometimes I will see 2 groups of mynahs fighting

lots of noise but no actual fight

then my kids will: fight!!! fight!!! fight!!!

:XD:  :XD:

Bro... I have seem them fight , they tumble and rumble ,(unitl can see some ruffled feathers too)  maybe my area they are more "garang/ macho/paikiah"  type; It kind of gets violent and lots of cheering and jeering too by the fellow kaypoh mynah and it becomes a show like thing and goes on long play for a few minutes and the noise irritates me (more of the cheerers/jeerers) I have to come and break it up as its reach high pitched noise; They damn social sia!

Edited by BanCoe
↡ Advertisement