7-Seater MPV

Victor68

Hi, I have not been to this site for a long while. I am now driving a Honda Stream but it has only 2 years left. it is time to look around. Hope to hear some advice here before I decide. I need to choose a brand before I can proceed, so I choose Honda since I am driving one now.

I have seen Toyota Sienta & Wish, Honda Mobilio & Odyssey, Renault Grand Scenic, Mazda 5 & Biante. Prices ranges from $110K to $152K.

Quite obviously, the more you pay the better the quality. What would you think is the closest to my current Stream? The Renault is diesel and it is reputed to have higher depreciation value and high cost for maintenance. Finishes is great for a Euro 6 engine which is very responsive. Among them, the Odyssey and Mazda Biante are impressive in look.

Please share your thought and experiences if any.

Thank you.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Hi, I have not been to this site for a long while. I am now driving a Honda Stream but it has only 2 years left. it is time to look around. Hope to hear some advice here before I decide. I need to choose a brand before I can proceed, so I choose Honda since I am driving one now.

I have seen Toyota Sienta & Wish, Honda Mobilio & Odyssey, Renault Grand Scenic, Mazda 5 & Biante. Prices ranges from $110K to $152K.

Quite obviously, the more you pay the better the quality. What would you think is the closest to my current Stream? The Renault is diesel and it is reputed to have higher depreciation value and high cost for maintenance. Finishes is great for a Euro 6 engine which is very responsive. Among them, the Odyssey and Mazda Biante are impressive in look.

Thank you.

Maybe you can consider BMW's new 2-series Gran Tourer, its third row may not be suitable for adults, but it's apparently rather easy to chuck around if you like good handling cars.

It's considered a mini-MPV rather than full-size MPV. A bit like the Wish.

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 1

Thank you.

How about

Nissan Serena - http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_photos.php?CarCode=11767

Toyota Noah - http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=11498

• Praise 1

Mazda 5 gives the best bang-for-buck at $119,800.

Sharing the same 2l engine as the Mazda 6, it sits 7 full sized adults with ease. Last row seats can accommodate adults, unlike some competitors like the Kia Carens.

Adequate power when fully loaded. Spare parts easily available at 3rd party workshops, unlike some makes like Subaru.

Spacious interior as a full sized MPV, rather than trying to be a mini MPV that struggles to accommodate 7 adults.

True blue Japanese, assembled in Japan, and not Thailand.

Only set back is the dated interior and exterior looks, which if you can close an eye, you can't go wrong with the Mazda 5.

But of course if you have a deep pocket, the sky's the limit. There are many other better models around. You just need to pay more.

Edited by Vinceng

Mazda 5 gives the best bang-for-buck at $119,800.

Sharing the same 2l engine as the Mazda 6, it sits 7 full sized adults with ease. Last row seats can accommodate adults, unlike some competitors like the Kia Carens.

Adequate power when fully loaded. Spare parts easily available at 3rd party workshops, unlike some makes like Subaru.

Spacious interior as a full sized MPV, rather than trying to be a mini MPV that struggles to accommodate 7 adults.

True blue Japanese, assembled in Japan, and not Thailand.

Only set back is the dated interior and exterior looks, which if you can close an eye, you can't go wrong with the Mazda 5.

But of course if you have a deep pocket, the sky's the limit. There are many other better models around. You just need to pay more.

Mazda 5 can sit 7 adults with ease and full size mpv?

You got to be kidding me...

• Praise 1

Like I said before many times, ppl got to look at what their priorities are rather dan looking at brands and models. Ppl who can't make up their minds are often divided between models or undecided.

Those 5+2 MPVs and SUVs are not really ppl carriers for a start. They are more suitable for families of 4 or 5 but not 7. The +2 seats are only for occasional use. The additional space is good for children items and groceries. Their role is more similar to an estate or wagon with the hatchback design. Anyway the last row seats aren't very safe when it comes to rear impact safety IMO. It offers more flexibility dan say an estate car or a sedan.

Re-look your priorities, write them down and see which car suits your list. That should help you decide. Listening to ppl here will get differing views and ideas coz they have different priorities compared to you. You may get distracted and focus on the things you do not want and may end up making unsuitable choices.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 7

Similar size as Stream would be the Toyota Wish and the funky looking Sienta which is selling really well in Japan right now.  If you can get past the boxy looks, the Japanese mini-vans give the best space packaging possible with 3rd row seats way usable than anything from europe.

Best bet is to go through some of the threads in the Japanese cars forum.  Current strong contenders in the minivan space are Mazda Biante, Toyota Noah/Voxy/Esquire, Nissan Serena and Honda Stepwgn.  All should come in at around the $130-140k mark.

Ya man, really don't know what type of adults he means. Must be damn short and skinny around 40kg each for those on the 2nd and 3rd row.

While I would not call the Mazda 5 a full size MPV, I have sat at the 3rd row for a short trip 15-20mins and I did not feel like I had a lack of space. I am 183cm and 85kg.

As you see the above comments, one man's recommendation doesn't agree with the others simply becoz their priorities are different. Nothing to do with the car really. So if I were you, TS I wouldn't waste time here. I would rather sit down and think of the wants and needs, write it down and narrow down my choices. After that go for the test drive on the narrowed down choices and make a decision.

Edited by Watwheels

OK, just my opinion based on my preferences. Odyssey would be a good bet, if it fits your budget. The 8 seater version EX-S is around 152k. The third row is spacious, the sliding doors are very useful. The second row has three seats, even when I put two child seats, someone can sit in the middle. The third row is quite comfortable. The new engine is fuel efficient and the 7 speed CVT transmission is neat. All in all, after looking at many full size MPV, this one fits my need the best. You will need to check your preferences as advised by others and then make the final call.

The EX-V model is higher end, with 2nd row as 2 Ottoman cradle seats and leather furnishings. Some gimmicks like Park assist and multi cam view, blind spot warning etc are added. However I prefer have a 3 seater 2nd row, which gives me the choice to carry an extra adult or fold the last row down and lug around things. Again... Subjective choices based on each ones needs I guess...

I currently have a 2007 Odyssey, very happy with it and will upgrade next year to the EX-S when the COE drops hopefully

Edited by Abhi_boatclub

I agree with what the bro Watwheels said. You need to define your priorities first then narrow down the choices.

But anyway, for TS, I suspect the closest equivalent to your Stream would be Wish or Mobilio. But if you want a bigger MPV Odyssey and Biante are very spacious and quite suitable.

Grand Scenic being diesel means you can save quite a fair bit on fuel, but the design is quite dated liao. Mazda 5 is not bad, and comes with sliding doors too, but also a bit dated.

• Praise 1

Thank you.

Well, the answer is obvious... the closest you can get to a honda stream is a new honda stream... [laugh] [laugh]

I meant, just ask yourself are you happy with the current ride? if not, why? is it because of the space? Power? the look? Then choose the car that suit yourself the best. No point asking anyone as what I like to have may not suit to your requirement. MCFers could only advise you on the technical/ performance/ specification espect of the vehicle...

Edited by Tigershark1976
  • Praise 3

hi

biante shares the same engine as the mazda 5. as such, can be sluggish if you have load. i am currently driving an old mazda5. definitely can sit 7 adults.

u should also consider citroen grand picasso. very spacious. that was my second choice before i ended up buying a 7 seater suv last weekend. they have both petrol and diesel.

kah motors odyssey for 8 seater comes with fabric seats, fyi

• Praise 1