7-Seater MPV

Victor68

can elaborate why x-trail cannot make it? am considering it since it is one of the 5+2 suv.

3rd row only can squeeze in height below 1.6m people 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

can elaborate why x-trail cannot make it? am considering it since it is one of the 5+2 suv.

The front, mid rows are fine, as are the exterior/interior/spec/performance I suspect.

But the 3rd row is super cramped, for a car this size. It is more squeezed than Outlander, it's compatriot, and one sky vs one earth against Sorrento.

Maybe same as or at best just marginally better than the 1.4l conti MPVs, which are sedan-sized cars (both length, width and height), squeezed in an extra third row = squatting on 3rd row...

If you occasionally need to have kids < 1.5 m sitting on 3rd row, then maybe ok. Anyone taller, I won't recommend. Getting in/out already a problem. 

Thanks. My kids below 5, so I don't think space is a big worry for me now. Also, only occasionally need to use the 3rd row when have to ferry parents on special occasions. Sorento is definitely a class above but the price also few levels above.

post-58053-0-30003100-1447334213_thumb.jpg

X-trail. 3rd row.

No foot space at all unless push middle row seat to the front. 

But then, middle row will have tight leg space.

But the driver area is nice.

Thanks. My kids below 5, so I don't think space is a big worry for me now. Also, only occasionally need to use the 3rd row when have to ferry parents on special occasions. Sorento is definitely a class above but the price also few levels above.

• Praise 1

is there any reason not to consider a petrol turbo charged VW Sharan? 

all the negative news are about its diesel engines and Sharan is still a very well spec car?  having good discounts now i believe.

• Praise 1

You could consider the new KIA Carens... Impressive mpv for the price of less than 120k.

Well specced too

Kia Carens is more of  a stationwagon than a 7 seater.

The last row of seats is Japanese style sitting, and best fits toddlers. 

post-27974-0-53615200-1447338238.jpg

• Praise 1

all the negative news are about its diesel engines and Sharan is still a very well spec car? having good discounts now i believe.

For that price range, Elgrand would be a better choice.

all the negative news are about its diesel engines and Sharan is still a very well spec car?  having good discounts now i believe.

Sharan should be not bad. I tested it few months ago, and was the most impressive among Mazda 8, Sorrento, Peugeot 5008, Elgrand. 

The few things i can nick-pick about it is that it is high price (was even higher), it is quite dated (new model i think is out in Europe), don't have 2 single luxurious seats on 2nd row - but is very responsive/powerful and despite being dated, is still high-spec'ed.

For that price range, Elgrand would be a better choice.

I tested both, and found Sharan easier to drive. Elgrand is significantly more difficult to manourve, given it's larger.

But Elgrand is more spacious, and the seats are more flexible.

Kia Carens is more of a stationwagon than a 7 seater.

Looks as tight the BMW "Grand" Tourer.
  • Praise 1

IMO, space should be one of the top priority for MPV buyer (and basis for comparison), follow by price and/or performance. For easy reference, here are the new 6/7/8/9 seater MPV available on our shore, or coming soon*.

Compact (~4.3m)

Honda Freed 1.5

Honda Mobilio 1.5

Toyota Sienta 1.5 / 1.5H

Toyota Avanza 1.5

Mid-Size (~4.5 -4.6m)

BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer 1.6D

Chevrolet Orlando 1.4T

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 1.6D / 1.6T

Honda Jade 1.5H / 1.5T

Kia Carens 2.0

Mazda 5 2.0

Opel Zafira Tourer 1.4T

Peugeot 5008 1.6D

Renault Grand Scenic 1.5D

Toyota Isis 1.8

Toyota Prius Alpha 1.8H

Toyota Wish 1.8

VW Touran 1.4T

Boxy / In-Between (~4.7m)

Honda Stepwgn 1.5T

Mazda Biante 2.0

Nissan Serena 2.0H

Toyota Esquire 1.8H / 2.0

Toyota Noah 1.8H / 2.0

Toyota Voxy 1.8H / 2.0

Full Size (4.8m - 4.9m)

Ford S-Max*

Honda Odyssey 2.4

Mazda 8 2.3

Renault Grand Espace*

Ssangyong Stavic 2.0D

Toyota Estima / Previa 2.4 / 2.4H

VW Sharan 2.0T

Large Size / Luxury (>4.9m)

Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8D

Mercedes Benz V-Class 2.2D

Nissan Elgrand 2.5

Toyota Alphard 2.5

Toyota Vellfire 2.5

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 11

Sharan should be not bad. I tested it few months ago, and was the most impressive among Mazda 8, Sorrento, Peugeot 5008, Elgrand. 

The few things i can nick-pick about it is that it is high price (was even higher), it is quite dated (new model i think is out in Europe), don't have 2 single luxurious seats on 2nd row - but is very responsive/powerful and despite being dated, is still high-spec'ed.

I tested both, and found Sharan easier to drive. Elgrand is significantly more difficult to manourve, given it's larger.

But Elgrand is more spacious, and the seats are more flexible.

From value for money perspective (size vs $$$), Elgrand (with it huge interior space) seems to be the clear choice for almost all buyer. But on the other hand, if you are looking at depreciation value, Sharan (with OMV ~$38K vs. Elgrand's ~S$34K) is marginally better than Elgrand.

So end of the day, it voice down to what are the needs. If for me, it will be Sharan, as performance is my second priority (since space for all 3 row are already adequate for daily use). BTW, the only major changes to the facelift Sharan is with the engine. It will be getting the new gen 3 EA888 2.0 TSI, which has 20ps (10%) more horsepower, 70Nm (25%) more torque, and ~16% more fuel efficient (CO2 emisson also reduced from 198g/Km to 168g/Km - neutral zone of the revised CEVS).

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 3

Hi, I have not been to this site for a long while. I am now driving a Honda Stream but it has only 2 years left. it is time to look around. Hope to hear some advice here before I decide. I need to choose a brand before I can proceed, so I choose Honda since I am driving one now.

I have seen Toyota Sienta & Wish, Honda Mobilio & Odyssey, Renault Grand Scenic, Mazda 5 & Biante. Prices ranges from $110K to $152K.

Quite obviously, the more you pay the better the quality. What would you think is the closest to my current Stream? The Renault is diesel and it is reputed to have higher depreciation value and high cost for maintenance. Finishes is great for a Euro 6 engine which is very responsive. Among them, the Odyssey and Mazda Biante are impressive in look.

Please share your thought and experiences if any.

Thank you.

Closest to your drive now would be another Stream...

Or do you mean to compare....hmmmm

I would look at fixtures, such as anchoring and securing points for the second row seats. Does the floor wobble under the carpet. Are there freebies like cargo mats like the XV?

The engine and drive quality of course.

Any plans for wheelchair load?

Wheelchair loadable seven seaters would be useful for the coming silver tsunami.

• Praise 1

IMO, space should be one of the top priority for MPV buyer (and basis for comparison), follow by price and/or performance. For easy reference, here are the new 6/7/8/9 seater MPV available on our shore, or coming soon*.

Compact (~4.3m)

Honda Freed 1.5

Honda Mobilio 1.5

Toyota Sienta 1.5 / 1.5H

Toyota Avanza 1.5

Mid-Size (~4.5 -4.6m)

BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer 1.6D

Chevrolet Orlando 1.4T

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 1.6D / 1.6T

Honda Jade 1.5H / 1.5T

Kia Carens 2.0

Mazda 5 2.0

Opel Zafira Tourer 1.4T

Peugeot 5008 1.6D

Renault Grand Scenic 1.5D

Toyota Isis 1.8

Toyota Prius Alpha 1.8H

Toyota Wish 1.8

VW Touran 1.4T

Boxy / In-Between (~4.7m)

Honda Stepwgn 1.5T

Mazda Biante 2.0

Nissan Serena 2.0H

Toyota Esquire 1.8H / 2.0

Toyota Noah 1.8H / 2.0

Toyota Voxy 1.8H / 2.0

Full Size (4.8m - 4.9m)

Ford S-Max*

Honda Odyssey 2.4

Mazda 8 2.3

Renault Grand Espace*

Ssangyong Stavic 2.0D

Toyota Estima / Previa 2.4 / 2.4H

VW Sharan 2.0T

Large Size / Luxury (>4.9m)

Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8D

Mercedes Benz V-Class 2.2D

Nissan Elgrand 2.5

Toyota Alphard 2.5

Toyota Vellfire 2.5

Another way to categorize them is based on wheelbase (usable cabin space). For example,

1. Compact MPV such as Sienta and Mazda 5 have wheelbase of 2750.

2. Midsize MPV such as Biante/Serena is 2850.

3. Full size MPV such as Odyssey is 2900.

4. Large size MPV such as Alphard is 3000. 

• Praise 1

Ford Smax is not full size  MPV

Ford Galaxy is full size MPV

i saw these at Ford last year, but 5 mth ago when i went there again, they were nowhere to be seen anymore. Heard S-Max new model came out in Europe. Not sure about Galaxy.

The only thing that is lacking in Galaxy is that it doesn't have sliding doors...

S-Max space-wise, is one notch down from Galaxy. It is maybe only on par with wish.

From value for money perspective (size vs $$$), Elgrand (with it huge interior space) seems to be the clear choice for almost all buyer. But on the other hand, if you are looking at depreciation value, Sharan (with OMV ~$38K vs. Elgrand's ~S$34K) is marginally better than Elgrand.

So end of the day, it voice down to what are the needs. If for me, it will be Sharan, as performance is my second priority (since space for all 3 row are already adequate for daily use). BTW, the only major changes to the facelift Sharan is with the engine. It will be getting the new gen 3 EA888 2.0 TSI, which has 20ps (10%) more horsepower, 70Nm (25%) more torque, and ~16% more fuel efficient (CO2 emisson also reduced from 198g/Km to 168g/Km - neutral zone of the revised CEVS).

Good way of looking at it.  [thumbsup]

I read here about a year ago that Elgrand was going at a very cheap price at one point, when others like Ody was about 10k more. Was tempted, but didn't want to waste the ~15 mth left of my wish, and besides, that time COE was high(er) so overall still didn't really had the urge to plunge in. Also, it's huge, and not sure it's appropriate for me. Bosses' cars also not so big  [laugh]

Ford Smax is not full size  MPV

Ford Galaxy is full size MPV

Agree.

But I just looked at the specs. Length-wise, smax is 4772, galaxy is 4819

Width both the same 1884

Galaxy is taller, 1770 vs 1620

wheelbase both 2850.

Except for the height, i'm not sure why Galaxy felt significantly more spacious than smax… 3rd row for galaxy i remember was decent for adult. smax was a stretch there. Maybe it's because in Galaxy can sit more upright given the height.

Kia Carens is more of a stationwagon than a 7 seater.

I certainly don't think so when i tried. In fact, it is ok for short adult trips at the last row when the middle seats are adjusted forward

Carens is an MPV through and through

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1