7-Seater MPV

Victor68

anyone knows of hybrid 7 seater?

we've ditched the kids' school bus and so will be doing lots of driving next year

Esquire hybrid.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

we've ditched the kids' school bus and so will be doing lots of driving next year

If you don't need a full sized MPV like an Odyssey or Estima and will be doing a lot of driving you can consider the Wish which I understand can get as high as 14km/l. Am not too confident about hybrids from PIs in terms of after sales support when there is a major problem with the hybrid system and I noted the hybrids from the ADs are significantly more ex compared to their petrol or diesel variants.

Hope this helps...

Yup, I did find the Estima van-like. Esp when the gear was like the 3 Liteaces I used to drive since about 30 yr ago  [:p]

But at least the current version is slightly improved from those days, although like you said, the windscreen and bonnet being flushed means it looks like a van still.

But i'm practical  [laugh] So will not rule it out since it ticks most other boxes of a MPV i need. (years ago, when I got the Corolla G9, the revolutionary short bonnet was also highly-criticised, but it still became the most popular sedan).

The big problem is the current Estima is really dated, and FC i heard is quite bad at 7-8 km/l? Am hoping the new Estima will be launched soon, and maybe it'll be the best choice.

Tested Sharan, and agree that it's good too, but loses out if want luxury seats for 2nd rows (which wife likes…)

Agreed. Estima looks very dated both exterior, interior and engine-wise.

I believe this model has been around nearly 10 years already...

Remember drivng the Estima (known as Tarrago Down Under) in 2006...

IMHO, it is a good MPV but not worth what I need to pay for it now when there are other choices available...

• Praise 2

2nd generation previa and current smaller facelift estima aeras - both are good cars,have nice memories of it.

Current Estima, Yes, a bit dated, more than 10 yrs,  However, If recalled correctly, fuel consumption wise was quite good, arond 10km/L....full tank of 65 L can get around 550km range (for 2.4, not the 3.5 V6)

Also agree with Abdul - for hybrid, suggest get from AD for peace of mind.

3 reasons

1) hybrid battery warranty (not cheap).

2) maintenance

3) usually Japanese character on dashboard for JDM (hybrid cars have many useful information).  Except for current 2016 alphard/vellfire, most other older JDM have no options to choose ENGLISH language (even the latest harrier).

Edited by alphard96
  • Praise 2

Any bro here knows Jap? Possible to help to contact Toyota Japan and ask them when will the next Estima be launching? One PI told me it's end of 2016, but I just want to be sure. If it's really the case, i might wait for it. Else, i'll likely get one of the van-like MPVs, or maybe even (unwillingly) the current Estima...

tks...

Good point. 

I had not compared with Accord. But I was comparing OMV for ody vs estima, and couldn't understand why they were priced around the same, as estima OMV was significantly higher.

accord is selling badly, so they dropped the margins significantly. 

The ody is KM's top seller among their more higher end cars, hence the higher margins.

For eg, when i bought, KM's margins for accord was about 17k vs 27k for the ody.

accord is selling badly, so they dropped the margins significantly. 

The ody is KM's top seller among their more higher end cars, hence the higher margins.

For eg, when i bought, KM's margins for accord was about 17k vs 27k for the ody.

Sigh… what happened to the practice of earning lower margin to sell more units?

Any bro here knows Jap? Possible to help to contact Toyota Japan and ask them when will the next Estima be launching? One PI told me it's end of 2016, but I just want to be sure. If it's really the case, i might wait for it. Else, i'll likely get one of the van-like MPVs, or maybe even (unwillingly) the current Estima...

tks...

looking at this japanese article....yes new Estima likely to surface within 2016..

http://magazine.vehiclenavi.com/archives/3822

http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2142154311749636601/2142154697554286303

from the artist impression, looks futuristic. Toyota is planning a FCV version too. the front looks like the current Mirai FCV.

• Praise 1

ha u don't want to buy anyway right. your 3rd bench rule...  [laugh]

Yah… but just hoping to benefit those bros who are interested in it mah  [:p]

looking at this japanese article....yes new Estima likely to surface within 2016..

http://magazine.vehiclenavi.com/archives/3822

http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2142154311749636601/2142154697554286303

from the artist impression, looks futuristic. Toyota is planning a FCV version too. the front looks like the current Mirai FCV.

Err… I can't find anything that I can understand there leh (dunno Jap  [smash] )

So there's rumors that it's indeed going to be 2016?

tks...

Yah… but just hoping to benefit those bros who are interested in it mah  [:p]

Err… I can't find anything that I can understand there leh (dunno Jap  [smash] )

So there's rumors that it's indeed going to be 2016?

tks...

Don't be too hopeful, as there are other sites that posted another facelift for the Estima in May 2016. New model will only be ready in late 2018 to 2020...

2016q10015.jpg

• Praise 3

Honda Jade

Nissan Serena

Toyota Sienta

Toyota Prius Alpha

Toyota Esquire

Toyota Noah

Toyota Voxy

Toyota Estima

Toyota Alphard

Toyota Vellfire

Some of these are on indent basis.

• Praise 3

I would prefer a TC engine and reduce the cc like Honda Stepwagon 1.5T than a hybrid. Don't make much sense in SG as road tax goes according to cc and Hybrid cc remains the same. Assuming the same higher maintenance on Hybrid system and TC engines, at least TC can save on road tax.

Having said that, comparing Sharan, Previa/Estima and Odyssey,

Sharan : 4,854mm (L) x 1,904mm (W) x 1,720mm (H) x 2,920mm (Wheelbase)

Previa/Estima : 4,795mm (L) x 1,800mm (W) x 1,730mm (H) x 2,950mm (Wheelbase)

Odyssey : 4,830mm (L) x 1,820mm (W) x 1,695mm (H) x 2,900mm (Wheelbase)

Sharan is the longest and widest yet 3rd row is slightly narrower than the other 2.

Volkswagen-Sharan_2011_1024x768_wallpapecarlineup_estima_welcab_p_liftup_22_pc.pcar_02_img_01.png

• Praise 3

Having said that, comparing Sharan, Previa/Estima and Odyssey,

Sharan : 4,854mm (L) x 1,904mm (W) x 1,720mm (H) x 2,920mm (Wheelbase)

Previa/Estima : 4,795mm (L) x 1,800mm (W) x 1,730mm (H) x 2,950mm (Wheelbase)

Odyssey : 4,830mm (L) x 1,820mm (W) x 1,695mm (H) x 2,900mm (Wheelbase)

Sharan is the longest and widest yet 3rd row is slightly narrower than the other 2.

Volkswagen-Sharan_2011_1024x768_wallpapecarlineup_estima_welcab_p_liftup_22_pc.pcar_02_img_01.png

Wow, you're good.  [thumbsup]  

Although no measurement on interior height and cabin length for Sharan to have a better comparison, we can confirm that both Sharan and Oddy longer bonnet suffers on cabin length. Oddy win on height due to lower floor board and also 3rd row seats are position behind rear wheel axle instead of above, that gives the best 3rd row space.

Well, I had chosen Sharan, silly me. haha.

• Praise 1

Wow, you're good.  [thumbsup]  

Although no measurement on interior height and cabin length for Sharan to have a better comparison, we can confirm that both Sharan and Oddy longer bonnet suffers on cabin length. Oddy win on height due to lower floor board and also 3rd row seats are position behind rear wheel axle instead of above, that gives the best 3rd row space.

Well, I had chosen Sharan, silly me. haha.

You made a good choice with the Sharan. As I have shared earlier, as long as the space meet your requirement, we should not be too bother with a few mm / cm more here and there, but to look at your other priority, such as power, price, reliability, etc. etc.

Among the 3 listed, I would have pick Sharan too, as the other 2 lose out in power (and not forgetting the larger engine capacity attract hundreds more in road tax per year). And to make you feel more at ease, the EA888 2.0TSI engine + 6 speed DSG is a very reliable combination. It can be found in Golf GTI, Passat, CC, Superb, just to name a few...

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 5

3 reasons

1) hybrid battery warranty (not cheap).

2) maintenance

3) usually Japanese character on dashboard for JDM (hybrid cars have many useful information).  Except for current 2016 alphard/vellfire, most other older JDM have no options to choose ENGLISH language (even the latest harrier).

The Toyota triplets also offer English language.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2