Old Sylphy car horn doesn't work

Yymail22

A little surprised that car horns can break down. I mean, my Sylphy is coming to 9 years old only.

I was told by the workshop that it is a common problem to Nissan cars. It's not the horn but the contact on the steering wheel that's worn.

Appreciate fellow motorists in this forum can advise where to find distributors who supply the "pad" (to be mounted on steering wheel) for the horn. Perhaps, what is a reasonable price to replace the horn?

Thanks!

Also, looking for manual air horn to save cost. Hahaha!

↡ Advertisement

A little surprised that car horns can break down. I mean, my Sylphy is coming to 9 years old only.

I was told by the workshop that it is a common problem to Nissan cars. It's not the horn but the contact on the steering wheel that's worn.

Appreciate fellow motorists in this forum can advise where to find distributors who supply the "pad" (to be mounted on steering wheel) for the horn. Perhaps, what is a reasonable price to replace the horn?

Thanks!

Sometimes can DIY. Like the workshop said, is just the contact. My old Nissan Silvia had failing headlamp switch, I took the stalk out and physically bent the contacts. Started working again.

Alternatively, lean out the window and yell loudly.

• Praise 1

Thanks!

You need to buy a new clockspring in order to get your horn working again. It's going to cost 350$ or so.

Great, my over 5yr old slyphy horn already break down. Yes, before I see this thread I already did a round of fault isolation. It's at the wheel side. Turn all the way to left can horn everytime. turn back straight no horn. If it's going to cost me $350 bucks like the third break light (~250) I am going to leave Nissan for good next time.

Previously mine had a similar experience and had some parts replaced. Cost me about $300++ as well. My sylphy was 8 years old then

Anyone have a photo of our clock spring? I am wondering if China version same as us even though they are left side driver.

Hi.

I started this thread last year. Saw a few replies recently. I thought it is good that I let known the repair done to my car horn.

I sent the car to Tai Tong Lee Battery Workshop at Bt Merah Lane to replace. It costed $280. It wasn't the horn's problem but an electrical component in the steering wheel horn button.

There are still many old Sylphy's on the road. Hope this helps when the horn breaks down.

• Praise 1

Those who experience same problem in luck now.

Check out the pin out below. What you need to do is have the pin swap to another working pin. You got ur horn back. Most pin not use unless you have both audio control and cruise control install which most don't have. So you don't need to change the whole clock spring.

post-83338-0-32629400-1463887602_thumb.jpeg

Thanks!

I had the same problem on my 2009 Sylphy. The horn works only when I turn the wheel to extreme left or right. Also, the airbag warning light on my dashboard kept blinking. When I serviced my car at the workshop, the mechanic said its the clockspring problem. Quoted me $280 to change (part and labour).

I then saw video on youtube on how to replace. Its for Nissan but not Sylphy. But procedure is similar. The link is

I bought an original replacement part from Nissan stockist costing $190. Also bought a couple of tools (used in video) for about $30. I managed to do replacement in about 2hrs. Now my horn works and no more blinking airbag warning light. Felt very proud of myself to be able to do it on my own.

Now, I'm trying to service my auto power window switch. Already found the video. Just waiting for weekend to do it.

Hope this will help Sylphy/Latio owners facing the same problem.

Thanks!

I had the same problem on my 2009 Sylphy. The horn works only when I turn the wheel to extreme left or right. Also, the airbag warning light on my dashboard kept blinking. When I serviced my car at the workshop, the mechanic said its the clockspring problem. Quoted me $280 to change (part and labour).

I then saw video on youtube on how to replace. Its for Nissan but not Sylphy. But procedure is similar. The link is

I bought an original replacement part from Nissan stockist costing $190. Also bought a couple of tools (used in video) for about $30. I managed to do replacement in about 2hrs. Now my horn works and no more blinking airbag warning light. Felt very proud of myself to be able to do it on my own.

Now, I'm trying to service my auto power window switch. Already found the video. Just waiting for weekend to do it.

Hope this will help Sylphy/Latio owners facing the same problem.

• Praise 1

I ever ownself change clockspring before, original Kia part cost about $60 (USD37) including shipping lor.

Now selling USD40, price quite stable. Japanese part should be similar too.

Buy online better.

Do note that there are usually alot of variant lor, so for steering with Audio control, gear shift etc ......  Made sure you get the right one, connector issue.

I confirm China version (taobao) is the same, cost me less than $100. Just that signal auto spring back might not work as well.

You are right. I just checked on Ali Express that the clockspring for Sylphy 2009 model (not sure exact year) is selling for USD32 with free shipping to SG.

You are right. I just checked on Ali Express that the clockspring for Sylphy 2009 model (not sure exact year) is selling for USD32 with free shipping to SG.

Can share or PM the link? Thanks.