Wrong tyre profile installed

Eviltrap

Hi guys, just want to ask a question.

I recently changed my tyres.

Ordered and installed the wrong tyre profile.

Supposed to be 225/45/R18
But installed 225/40/R18

Will there be any detrimental effects on the car, tyres, or other things?

↡ Advertisement

But installed 225/40/R18

There will be a speed difference, you can go Google search and there are a lot of calculator to calculate it.

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/speedo-error-calculator

For worst case scenario, breaking and handling will be affected. But then most of it should be okay. On how much the changes that will affect breaking and handling, I don't know.

post-14834-0-94207800-1447591049_thumb.png

Can also assume that changes in tyre profile, tyre pressure may need to change to accommodate it. I.e if change from higher to lower profile tyre, there is a need to pump higher pressure then what one will normally do for higher profile type.

But for your case, it is just a slight difference, so don't worry too much and just take note that there is a slight error in speedo reading that's all. So when you want to speed at least you know where is the limit after factoring the speed error.

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

Hi TS since taking in profile , can I tag along on this for wheel off set matching too?

My current rim offset is et42. Can a rim of offset et55 fit to my car too? Pcd is the same.. thanks in advance.

Hi TS since taking in profile , can I tag along on this for wheel off set matching too?

My current rim offset is et42. Can a rim of offset et55 fit to my car too? Pcd is the same.. thanks in advance.

Depends on what car. ET55 means less space between your brake calipers and the rims

• Praise 1

Depends on what car. ET55 means less space between your brake calipers and the rims

O.. so the higher the ET, the rim will move inward? Hmm .. it this case will those wheel spacer help?

Thanks! :-)

O.. so the higher the ET, the rim will move inward? Hmm .. it this case will those wheel spacer help?

Thanks! :-)

For Singapore's context, where most cars are Japanese and front wheel drive, yes.

To complete the real picture, you need to consider also the rim width.

Edited by Sturtles

40 vs 45 means the tire wall height is 5mm less. The overall diameter of the wheel will be 10mm smaller. The effects will be a feel of faster acceleration as the wheel is smaller. Slower if the traveling on the same speed(speedo). What is the actual factory wheel size? Ppl like to "upgrade" the rim size until they themselves get confused.

If the overall diameter is +/- less dan 5% from the stock wheel size the effects are negligible. But for me personally I do not like low profile tires as they are stiff and make the ride uncomfortable, not to mention noisy. Tire walls are also stiff which compromises grip levels believe it or not as the stiff wall prevents the tires from flexing. That's why insurance companies void the claim if the car is found to be on bigger rims. But still ppl care more of aesthetics dan safety, looking good is more important.

Edited by Watwheels

40 vs 45 means the tire wall height is 5mm less. The overall diameter of the wheel will be 10mm smaller. 

Bro, a small correction, the "40" or "45" means the sidewall height is 40 or 45% of the tyre width, not absolute numbers in mm.

Bro, a small correction, the "40" or "45" means the sidewall height is 40 or 45% of the tyre width, not absolute numbers in mm.

Thanks.

The tire wall height calculation in this case is 225 x 45%   vs    225 x 40%   = ______ mm

Ok noted bro.

The rim width will be the same for the new rim. Only offset different.

Hmm may be just stick to old rim lol.

Dun wan to get the wrong rim.

Thanks again.

For Singapore's context, where most cars are Japanese and front wheel drive, yes.

To complete the real picture, you need to consider also the rim width.

But installed 225/40/R18

Your speedo will be slightly off.  Ride might get harsher since you have lost some sidewall. I hope your tyres are not runflats.  [lipsrsealed]

There will be a speed difference, you can go Google search and there are a lot of calculator to calculate it.

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/speedo-error-calculator

For worst case scenario, breaking and handling will be affected. But then most of it should be okay. On how much the changes that will affect breaking and handling, I don't know.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-11-15-20-36-40.png

Can also assume that changes in tyre profile, tyre pressure may need to change to accommodate it. I.e if change from higher to lower profile tyre, there is a need to pump higher pressure then what one will normally do for higher profile type.

But for your case, it is just a slight difference, so don't worry too much and just take note that there is a slight error in speedo reading that's all. So when you want to speed at least you know where is the limit after factoring the speed error.

Thanks for the detailed explanation and the link!

I used the link and calculated. My speed will be -3% of what the speedometer is displayed.

From the day I replaced the tyres with the wrong profile, I felt nauseous when I drive. Suspecting my tyres to be overinflated, I went to check. I think it was at least 260-270!

So I lowered it down to 230. Now no nauseous feeling.

But is it too low now? Or should I increase it to 240?

Your speedo will be slightly off.  Ride might get harsher since you have lost some sidewall. I hope your tyres are not runflats.  [lipsrsealed]

Fortunately they are not runflats. But what will happen if they are indeed runflats?

I changed to Michelin PS3.

Can only blame myself and trusting the internet rather than get off my lazy arse and go down to the car park to check the side of the door before ordering the tyres.  [thumbsdown]

Then it was only known to me when the mechanic installing the rim protectors told me the profile was wrong.  [:(]

impossible to even go in

way too much diff

sure buah calliper

• Praise 1

I used the link and calculated. My speed will be -3% of what the speedometer is displayed.

From the day I replaced the tyres with the wrong profile, I felt nauseous when I drive. Suspecting my tyres to be overinflated, I went to check. I think it was at least 260-270!

Fortunately they are not runflats. But what will happen if they are indeed runflats?

Can only blame myself and trusting the internet rather than get off my lazy arse and go down to the car park to check the side of the door before ordering the tyres. [thumbsdown]

Then it was only known to me when the mechanic installing the rim protectors told me the profile was wrong. [:(]

Don't worry too much, yours just a slight change. Pump tyre pressure per normal as you normally do. There are a lot of drivers also change tyre to different profile and drive as per normal and nothing happen.

Can only blame myself and trusting the internet rather than get off my lazy arse and go down to the car park to check the side of the door before ordering the tyres.  [thumbsdown]

Then it was only known to me when the mechanic installing the rim protectors told me the profile was wrong.  [:(]

Runflats to me make for very uncomfortable driving. :yuush:

Dear Eviltrap , may be you can share what car are you driving?

otherwise the comment are just about effect between 40 vs 45 profile, seriously speaking there is 1 important some have overlook is the Load index (which tells you how heavy load this tyre can withstand) this particularly important on car like MPV / SUV commercial van. 

sourcing item over the e commercial is always carry risk like what you had experience.

Get the right people do the right job you wont go wrong.

regarding another issue about rim offset 42mm to 55mm

I think you have to show both rim and car than you know can or not

↡ Advertisement