2016 Toyota Prius

minion

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/prius/2016/#fullreview

2016_toyota_prius_4dr-hatchback_base_s_o

A new platform, revamped interior and 55 mpg should make the 2016 Toyota Prius the iconic gas-electric, go-to choice among hybrids.

Prius is an interesting car but not popular in SG. Would the 2016 iteration attract more buyers? Of course, the AD may need to trim down the margin a bit. The margin is > 25k for the previous current version?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/toyota/first-drives/2016-toyota-prius-review

The new Prius is the first model to be based upon the Japanese manufacturer’s new TNGA modular architecture, said to bring advantages in terms of interior space, mechanical packaging and chassis sophistication. In turn, that should mean a car that offers a more involving driving experience than the outgoing model.

However, the emphasis is still on remarkable fuel economy and low CO2 emissions, and in that respect the new Prius has taken a significant step forward. According to Toyota’s own figures, it emits an impressively low 70g/km of CO2 and is capable of 94.1mpg.

At 4540mm, the new car is 60mm longer than the Prius Mk3. It is also 15mm wider and 20mm lower, while retaining the same wheelbase of 2700mm, and has a more slippery shape than of old.

The now more compact powertrain components in the front of the car have been positioned 10mm lower than before. Toyota claims the new platform helps to lower the centre of gravity and that, allied with a 60% increase in body rigidity and revised front and rear suspension, gives the Prius improved handling response and agility.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged

From the side looks a bit like the Mirai. Probably intentional. This new black D-pillar trend that Toyota has started on their cars is still weird to me.

but in the end, prius still too expensive for most consumers... and frankly the new front end is even more awkward than before. Prefer the old kamm-back too.

Prius is a taxi?

Last Sunday time reported 2.5L per 100km, is it true? I read in the local car selling website state more like 4-5L per 100km.

yeah, the old one is... maybe also a contributor to its low popularity among consumers.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Prius is a taxi?

Last Sunday time reported 2.5L per 100km, is it true? I read in the local car selling website state more like 4-5L per 100km.

FC 2.5 L/KM must be under Japaneses FC test standard, where 4-5L/KM (for existing generation) reflects typical driver's experience.

• Praise 2

I call up Boneo Motors yesterday.  They are preparing to launch the car in Q1 2016. No price yet.  The current price for prius is $138K.  What do you think they will price this car?

• Praise 2

I call up Boneo Motors yesterday.  They are preparing to launch the car in Q1 2016. No price yet.  The current price for prius is $138K.  What do you think they will price this car?

below 140

• Praise 2

at 138k, this car will not sell. Who would want to buy a car with no power and yet pay a premium over the better FC?

Less the extra 20-30k , one can buy a better car with more power and treat this additional premium cost for the extra fuel use.

The government is never having a green mindset at all. All they know is $$$  [thumbsdown]

Ppl get to pay extra more on the penalty but saving the earth.. [hur]  [hur]

Sooner or later , you will get to see lesser of this car on Singapore road with that kind of lousy policy.

Edited by L23
  • Praise 1

at 138k, this car will not sell. Who would want to buy a car with no power and yet pay a premium over the better FC?

Less the extra 20-30k , one can buy a better car with more power and treat this additional premium cost for the extra fuel use.

The government is never having a green mindset at all. All they know is $$$  [thumbsdown]

Ppl get to pay extra more on the penalty but saving the earth.. [hur]  [hur]

Sooner or later , you will get to see lesser of this car on Singapore road with that kind of lousy policy.

Agree. like the current version which is priced to high, cannot sell. Very few ppl bought Prius because of the aggressive pricing. AD should not take advantage of cevs and turn it into their own profit. The automobile ecosystem in SG is just sick.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

FC 2.5 L/KM must be under Japaneses FC test standard, where 4-5L/KM (for existing generation) reflects typical driver's experience.

Update:  L/KM  ->   L/100KM

Neutral Newbie

The new Prius is here:

http://www.toyotasingapore.com.sg/showroom/prius/#nogo

$131,888, non-guaranteed COE.

Thanks for the info!   Do you know whether Toyota's new version of auto-braking system (like Volvo's city safety and Subaru's EyeSight) will come to Singapore together with Prius 2016?  It is standard option with Prius 16 in Japan. 

Could you kindly tell us from where you get the price info?  I cannot find it from the web link. Thanks!

Thanks for the info! Do you know whether Toyota's new version of auto-braking system (like Volvo's city safety and Subaru's EyeSight) will come to Singapore together with Prius 2016? It is standard option with Prius 16 in Japan.

Could you kindly tell us from where you get the price info? I cannot find it from the web link. Thanks!

Maybe give them a call?
  • Praise 1

$131K.. That's pricey!!

Just asking ah, would you even consider buying prius models if PIs were to bring them in?

I ever considered getting one but am worried about the battery servicing and the lack of technical expertise to service hybrid cars in Singapore.

Any bros can give your opinions?

Just curious, why is it considered no power? I've seen how the SMRT Prius Taxis drive on the road and the driving power looks pretty decent.

• Praise 2

Just asking ah, would you even consider buying prius models if PIs were to bring them in?

I ever considered getting one but am worried about the battery servicing and the lack of technical expertise to service hybrid cars in Singapore.

Any bros can give your opinions?

Just curious, why is it considered no power? I've seen how the SMRT Prius Taxis drive on the road and the driving power looks pretty decent.

There are PIs who bring in some versions already (can't remember which one has the Prius alpha, also saw an Aqua on the road the other day) but I just wouldn't risk it. I drive a hybrid myself and though it's been fine so far, I don't think I can deal without the comfort of knowing Borneo's there if I need them.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1