2016 Toyota Prius

minion

There are 2 kinds of cruise control right?

One is the normal kind..the other one is the radar cruise control...

Yeah radar cruise control comes with Safety Sense P because it utilizes the sensors. Borneo's car has normal cruise control. Edited by NewPriusOwner
↡ Advertisement

Funny they included this button in my ride when I do not have the safety sense and DRCC [:p]

My guess is PI brought in the lowest spec without the cruise control module..but the steering wheel is standard..

Hello, driving a new Prius as well (two weeks liao). Checking in here. [wave]

Type S or Type A?

Anyone knows the prius here is the prius 1,2,3 or 4 in US model speak?

Type S or Type A?

Anyone knows the prius here is the prius 1,2,3 or 4 in US model speak?

It's not directly comparable as all US models come with Safety Sense P as standard.  I tried to do the same comparison when shopping.

The Prius two has NiMH battery pack like our Asian models, but Three, Four, etc come with Lithium.

I used this translated spec sheet from a PI when I was researching - disclaimer, PI name is on the sheet:  http://www.venturecars.com.sg/editor/source/Toyota%20Prius/Specifications/Toyota%20Prius%20Main%20Specification%20Sheet.pdf

http://www.venturecars.com.sg/editor/source/Toyota%20Prius/Specifications/Toyota%20Prius%20Equipment%20Sheet.pdf

It would imply that the US Prius Two is the Type S, US Prius Three is the Type A and US Prius Four is the Type A Premium.   The Touring models come with 17" alloy wheels and a different suspension setup to support that.

Closest I could figure is that the Borneo model is Type A minus, roughly equivalent to Prius three with premium JBL audio / HUD/standard cruise control, but sunroof/blind spot monitor,/Safety Sense P/radar cruise control/qi charging removed.  I'm not sure if the auto parking functions were removed as well.  And NiMH battery pack

PI Models are mostly type S which are equivalent Prius Two minus factory audio and sunroof.  

My model is a Type A, which is sort of like a Prius Three without sunroof/factory audio/qi charging, and with NiMH battery pack.  Just food for thought - my Pioneer 8850BT + German Maestro 2 way component front/coax rear + Pioneer mini sub sounds pretty good, and comes with Bluetooth, Android Auto and Apple Carplay.....

Edited by NewPriusOwner
  • Praise 1

I'm getting 25km/L, normal driving (mostly city, some highway).

On the hybrid information screen, I entered the fuel cost (used 210 yen per liter to represent $2.10), and a 'comparison' car at 10KM/L (you can set whatever car you wanted to buy against the Prius).  The history then shows the savings on fuel against your comparison car by trip or month.  Small thrills....

I've been driving in Power mode to let the engine run a higher percentage of the time over the run-in period, and will probably run the car in Normal mode once I have my first oil change.

A full tank of RON95 was about $80, and projected driving range on that was 1190KM.  

Edited by NewPriusOwner

Meaning you also bought from venture?

I was looking to buy some stuff like floor mats and boot tray..and some sellers actually asked..

Was wondering whats the difference between the different specs..

Floor mats and boot tray should be the same across all the specs right??

Edited by Archenemy
  • Praise 1

On the hybrid information screen, I entered the fuel cost (used 210 yen per liter to represent $2.10), and a 'comparison' car at 10KM/L (you can set whatever car you wanted to buy against the Prius).  The history then shows the savings on fuel against your comparison car by trip or month.  Small thrills....

I've been driving in Power mode to let the engine run a higher percentage of the time over the run-in period, and will probably run the car in Normal mode once I have my first oil change.

A full tank of RON95 was about $80, and projected driving range on that was 1190KM.  

I got a friend to ask a Borneo agent regarding run-in period and she stated it would be best to not exceed 3k RPM before the first engine oil change. I'm not sure whether power mode is ideal before the first oil change?

Btw I'm getting >25KM/L consistently in eco mode. The best I've gotten was around 31KM/L. Pretty fantastic result I must say  [laugh] My route to work is 60%-70% city(factoring the jam on highway) and 40%-30% highway driving(smoother traffic).

• Praise 1

It's not directly comparable as all US models come with Safety Sense P as standard.  I tried to do the same comparison when shopping.

The Prius two has NiMH battery pack like our Asian models, but Three, Four, etc come with Lithium.

I used this translated spec sheet from a PI when I was researching - disclaimer, PI name is on the sheet:  http://www.venturecars.com.sg/editor/source/Toyota%20Prius/Specifications/Toyota%20Prius%20Main%20Specification%20Sheet.pdf

http://www.venturecars.com.sg/editor/source/Toyota%20Prius/Specifications/Toyota%20Prius%20Equipment%20Sheet.pdf

It would imply that the US Prius Two is the Type S, US Prius Three is the Type A and US Prius Four is the Type A Premium.   The Touring models come with 17" alloy wheels and a different suspension setup to support that.

Closest I could figure is that the Borneo model is Type A minus, roughly equivalent to Prius three with premium JBL audio / HUD/standard cruise control, but sunroof/blind spot monitor,/Safety Sense P/radar cruise control/qi charging removed.  I'm not sure if the auto parking functions were removed as well.  And NiMH battery pack

PI Models are mostly type S which are equivalent Prius Two minus factory audio and sunroof.  

My model is a Type A, which is sort of like a Prius Three without sunroof/factory audio/qi charging, and with NiMH battery pack.  Just food for thought - my Pioneer 8850BT + German Maestro 2 way component front/coax rear + Pioneer mini sub sounds pretty good, and comes with Bluetooth, Android Auto and Apple Carplay.....

Agreed that the Pioneer 8850 is pretty fantastic. Android Auto is pretty handy, just need to get used to the limited usage while you're driving. 

It's not directly comparable as all US models come with Safety Sense P as standard. I tried to do the same comparison when shopping.

I used this translated spec sheet from a PI when I was researching - disclaimer, PI name is on the sheet: http://www.venturecars.com.sg/editor/source/Toyota%20Prius/Specifications/Toyota%20Prius%20Main%20Specification%20Sheet.pdf

It would imply that the US Prius Two is the Type S, US Prius Three is the Type A and US Prius Four is the Type A Premium. The Touring models come with 17" alloy wheels and a different suspension setup to support that.

Closest I could figure is that the Borneo model is Type A minus, roughly equivalent to Prius three with premium JBL audio / HUD/standard cruise control, but sunroof/blind spot monitor,/Safety Sense P/radar cruise control/qi charging removed. I'm not sure if the auto parking functions were removed as well. And NiMH battery pack

My model is a Type A, which is sort of like a Prius Three without sunroof/factory audio/qi charging, and with NiMH battery pack. Just food for thought - my Pioneer 8850BT + German Maestro 2 way component front/coax rear + Pioneer mini sub sounds pretty good, and comes with Bluetooth, Android Auto and Apple Carplay.....

Any amps?

The car comes stock with 2 pairs of component speakers on the doors?

I was looking to buy some stuff like floor mats and boot tray..and some sellers actually asked..

Depend. I understand some version come with Spare Tyre/Wheel, some doesn't. Those boot tray that was designed for Prius Gen 4 come with two version for this reason. Please double check.

My version from PI doesn't come with Spare Tyre and I ordered my boot tray from ebay.

• Praise 1

I don't think you should buy floor mats for US spec cars - left hand drive vs right hand drive.  Even on the chinese sites you have to be careful to find RHD floor mats.  Boot trays might work, but as the other poster said, you should ensure you order the version for your car with/without spare.

I'm living with my 3M-like carpets now....  Any soul brave enough to try these and give us feedback?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/special-RHD-right-hand-drive-car-floor-mats-for-Prius-Hong-Kong-version-all-around-tasteless/32637368769.html?spm=2114.01010208.8.19.DMy0wS

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Custom-fit-car-trunk-mat-for-Toyota-Camry-Corolla-RAV4-Prius-Prado-Sienna-zelas-verso-3D/32546275102.html?spm=2114.01010208.8.45.10wYFb

Edited by Nostalgia
  • Praise 1

I got a friend to ask a Borneo agent regarding run-in period and she stated it would be best to not exceed 3k RPM before the first engine oil change. I'm not sure whether power mode is ideal before the first oil change?

Btw I'm getting >25KM/L consistently in eco mode. The best I've gotten was around 31KM/L. Pretty fantastic result I must say  [laugh] My route to work is 60%-70% city(factoring the jam on highway) and 40%-30% highway driving(smoother traffic).

Interesting advice since you cannot get RPM information from your hybrid information screen.  Sounds like that agent is merely repeating something he/she learnt as a newbie agent 10 or 15 years ago.  I would be VERY skeptical about technical advice coming from any sales agent...

Most modern car engines are supposed to have been run in at factory these days, though user manuals still recommend gentle use in the first 500 or 1000 KM.

My very personal opinion is that the whole idea of the 1000 KM oil change is to remove any debris from a non run-in engine, and in order to achieve that, the engine has to actually do work.  In normal driving the hybrid ECU would REDUCE engine running time to conserve fuel. Power mode gives the gas pedal a more linear response, and the engine is engaged more early and often on accelerator.  Power mode doesn't mean you have to jackrabbit off every red light revving over 3000K, it just means that the engine is engaged more quickly to supplement the power. 

With a non hybrid car, the engine would be doing work 100% of the time, so watching the RPMs makes sense.    It's your own car, so do what you will with it.

Edited by Nostalgia
  • Praise 1

Interesting advice since you cannot get RPM information from your hybrid information screen.  Sounds like that agent is merely repeating something he/she learnt as a newbie agent 10 or 15 years ago.  I would be VERY skeptical about technical advice coming from any sales agent...

Most modern car engines are supposed to have been run in at factory these days, though user manuals still recommend gentle use in the first 500 or 1000 KM.

My very personal opinion is that the whole idea of the 1000 KM oil change is to remove any debris from a non run-in engine, and in order to achieve that, the engine has to actually do work.  In normal driving the hybrid ECU would REDUCE engine running time to conserve fuel. Power mode gives the gas pedal a more linear response, and the engine is engaged more early and often on accelerator.  Power mode doesn't mean you have to jackrabbit off every red light revving over 3000K, it just means that the engine is engaged more quickly to supplement the power. 

With a non hybrid car, the engine would be doing work 100% of the time, so watching the RPMs makes sense.    It's your own car, so do what you will with it.

The topic on RPMs actually came about because I was tinkering with the engine brake function on the Prius ie the B gear shift. 

I agree that power mode does not necessary translate to higher revs as it is dependent on the driving style of user. However, there's a higher chance that the engine would actually hit above 3k rpm. With eco mode, the chances are lesser as you have to deliberately step on the accelerator to feel the torque.

Then again I also read that with technological advancement, the parts used in modern factory-state cars are almost always ready to hit the roads.

Maybe I'm more kiasi so I stick to gentle usage for first 1000km  [laugh]

I'm new to the scene of actually owning a new car so I tend to ask around for advices. Its always nice to share with others what I've gathered and listen to their feedback as well  [:p]  

The PI car comes with 6 speakers.  Two tweeters on the dashboard and one 6.5" speaker in each door.

This is what I swapped them out for:  http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?app=sgcarstore&req=showprod&product=107854

No amp, just running on the 8850

Cool! I find the stock speakers pretty decent.

With the 8850, you can play around with the equalizer until you find your own sweet spot.

Did you trade in your stock speakers or hold on to them?

Depend. I understand some version come with Spare Tyre/Wheel, some doesn't. Those boot tray that was designed for Prius Gen 4 come with two version for this reason. Please double check.

My version from PI doesn't come with Spare Tyre and I ordered my boot tray from ebay.

Is yours with or without spare tyre?

Do you mind sharing the link for the boot tray which you've gotten?

↡ Advertisement