2016 Toyota Prius

minion

I was facing the same issue a few months back when deciding which to buy, where to buy.

I got the quote from 3 different PIs and BM. 

The PI spec i got was ZVW50-AHXEB

You can check the Toyota Japanese site for the actual spec http://toyota.jp/pages/contents/prius/004_p_001/pdf/spec/prius_spec_201512.pdf

The price difference between PI and BM is around 20~30K, possibly depending on the SE, trade-in if any and maybe others like mood of the day, etc.

Between mine and BM spec, BM has...

1) Toyota Sense P

2) HUD

3) Front "fog" day running light

4) Nice JBL car audio with 10 ? speakers

my PI model come with much cheaper Pioneer Audio Set with 2 standard front speakers.

BM offer 10 years battery warranty and my PI offered 5yr. I understand that for BM, it is 5yr Toyota warranty and another 5yr done by insurance company. Cost of battery replacement is ~ $5K. So end of the day, I suspect Toyota only do up to 5 yrs, and the rest is top by locally or insurance. Someone mentioned in the forum that the battery can last 250K km, so, unless you can drive up to 250K within 5 yrs i think it is the last of concern. Prius is using Nickel–metal hydride battery. Not exactly hi-tech battery and not really expensive as compared with LiPo and others.

There is one PI model that come with Sense P, front fog light but the price is higher and closer to BM model.

One of the poster mentioned of this "ICC" thingy. The console for Prius is divided into 2 windows of information.

But the BM model come fitted with the factory JBL system that can see the charging status on the JBL audio set, but not on my PI model.

So, end of the day, whether if it is worth the price difference, it is up to the individual. Personally, I don't.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!  [thumbsup]

Care to share how much and which PI you got yours from by dropping me a pte msg?  [laugh]

I think the usage of Nickel-Metal Hydride for the battery is an economical move. From my understanding of Lithium battery, the entire battery unit needs to be changed if something is wrong with the battery whereas for NmH, you may opt to change only the affected cells [thumbsup]

I'm not sure if Borneo carries the Lithium variant or NmH ones.

↡ Advertisement

I was facing the same issue a few months back when deciding which to buy, where to buy.

I got the quote from 3 different PIs and BM. 

The PI spec i got was ZVW50-AHXEB

You can check the Toyota Japanese site for the actual spec http://toyota.jp/pages/contents/prius/004_p_001/pdf/spec/prius_spec_201512.pdf

The price difference between PI and BM is around 20~30K, possibly depending on the SE, trade-in if any and maybe others like mood of the day, etc.

Between mine and BM spec, BM has...

1) Toyota Sense P

2) HUD

3) Front "fog" day running light

4) Nice JBL car audio with 10 ? speakers

my PI model come with much cheaper Pioneer Audio Set with 2 standard front speakers.

BM offer 10 years battery warranty and my PI offered 5yr. I understand that for BM, it is 5yr Toyota warranty and another 5yr done by insurance company. Cost of battery replacement is ~ $5K. So end of the day, I suspect Toyota only do up to 5 yrs, and the rest is top by locally or insurance. Someone mentioned in the forum that the battery can last 250K km, so, unless you can drive up to 250K within 5 yrs i think it is the last of concern. Prius is using Nickel–metal hydride battery. Not exactly hi-tech battery and not really expensive as compared with LiPo and others.

There is one PI model that come with Sense P, front fog light but the price is higher and closer to BM model.

One of the poster mentioned of this "ICC" thingy. The console for Prius is divided into 2 windows of information.

But the BM model come fitted with the factory JBL system that can see the charging status on the JBL audio set, but not on my PI model.

So, end of the day, whether if it is worth the price difference, it is up to the individual. Personally, I don't.

there is no way 20k extra is going to offset any $$$ in petrol price for 10 years...

all the cars i looking at, c4 picasso, civic, hrv are all in the 110k price range...

wife is also not in favour to spend so much more for prius...

but PI prius falls into this price range... so i want to know a bit more on the diff of BM and PI Prius...

so basically its not a apple and orange comparison as BM are higher specs...

i can live without the what sense thingy or fog light or even the HUD (which is freaking cool in the first place, too bad PI does not have it)...

but the ICC which show engine info, seems like this should come together as a basic for the car... so PI swapping with pioneer set..

are we losing some info that is supposed to be displayed... i remember it show like battery state, trip info and others...

i am concern about the ICC....

BM Prius is also using NmH ...

of all the car test driven, this BM Prius is really high tech... drive liao jin song... even my kids also prefer the BM Prius compare to the hondas and toyota altis.... 

btw,did u pay extra for leather seats? can share PI and cost thru PM? thanks...

Edited by Auron

but the ICC which show engine info, seems like this should come together as a basic for the car... so PI swapping with pioneer set..

are we losing some info that is supposed to be displayed... i remember it show like battery state, trip info and others...

i am concern about the ICC....

Those info can be found on the standard dashboard console. So, you only lose the display of the status on the large car audio display.

My version is a Japanese version. So, dashboard is in English and Japanese. The Fuel Price calculator is only in Japanese Yen. So

Care to share how much and which PI you got yours from by dropping me a pte msg?  [laugh]

I think the usage of Nickel-Metal Hydride for the battery is an economical move. From my understanding of Lithium battery, the entire battery unit needs to be changed if something is wrong with the battery whereas for NmH, you may opt to change only the affected cells [thumbsup]

I'm not sure if Borneo carries the Lithium variant or NmH ones.

I got mine from hevshop/hua yang. So far so good experience. Suggest you ask them for a quote instead. I think their price varies from time to time. So, no fair to do comparison.

As for battery design, it is really up to the design to make it replaceable. Not so much if it is Lithium or NiMH.

I think the local ones are all NiMH.

One more Minor Detail, BM version come with a USB charger.  [:p]

Edited by Ongbenghui

Those info can be found on the standard dashboard console. So, you only lose the display of the status on the large car audio display.

My version is a Japanese version. So, dashboard is in English and Japanese. The Fuel Price calculator is only in Japanese Yen. So

I got mine from hevshop/hua yang. So far so good experience. Suggest you ask them for a quote instead. I think their price varies from time to time. So, no fair to do comparison.

As for battery design, it is really up to the design to make it replaceable. Not so much if it is Lithium or NiMH.

I think the local ones are all NiMH.

One more Minor Detail, BM version come with a USB charger.  [:p]

so its hevshop or hua yang? both different company right?

at least dashboard got show english.... fuel price calculator not critical...

btw, does your Prius S come with cruise control? 

so its hevshop or hua yang? both different company right?

at least dashboard got show english.... fuel price calculator not critical...

btw, does your Prius S come with cruise control? 

I think Hevshop and Hua Yang are related. Pretty much the same.

The Dashboard is in English, you can check out the actual car.

My Prius doesn't come with Cruise Control. Does the BM version come with it ? if so, that is additional different.

My previous car has Cruise Control, only use it a few time in KPE & PIE. With Singapore traffic, I don't find it useful.

My Prius doesn't come with Cruise Control. Does the BM version come with it ? if so, that is additional different.

My previous car has Cruise Control, only use it a few time in KPE & PIE. With Singapore traffic, I don't find it useful.

yes... BM come with cruise control...

good for off peak expressway traffic...

thanks for all the info... 

Posted in another thread, but guess this one more appropriate.

Owners pls take note...

If you bought from PI, might be more tricky...

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/international/toyota-recalls-340-000-priuses-globally-to-fix-parking-brake-iss/3199630.html

Toyota recalls 340,000 Priuses globally to fix parking brake issue
  • Posted 12 Oct 2016 13:55
  •  
  • Updated 12 Oct 2016 16:10
woman-is-reflected-on-a-screen-showing-t
A woman is reflected on a screen showing Toyota Motor Corp's Prius hybrid car at the company's showroom in Tokyo, Japan June 14, 2016. REUTERS/Toru Hanai/File Photo

TOKYO: Toyota Motor Corp said on Wednesday it was recalling around 340,000 of its latest Prius gasoline hybrid model in Japan and overseas to fix a parking brake issue.

The recall covers models produced between August 2015 and October 2016, and affects around 210,000 vehicles in Japan and 94,000 in North America, Toyota said, adding that the balance would be recalled in Europe, Australia and other regions.

No accidents have been reported in Japan in connection with the issue, a Toyota spokeswoman said, while declining to comment on whether any accidents had occurred overseas.

(This version of the story corrects paragraph 2 to say 94,000 vehicles, not 92,000, will be recalled in North America; also corrects start of production period to August 2015, from October 2015)

(Reporting by Naomi Tajitsu; Editing by Subhranshu Sahu)

- Reuters

• Praise 2

There is a A spec that comes with the toyota safety lane thing, HUD and parking assist.

Only 1 PI has it. Very easy to find out who.

Im tempted by the parking assist function..really useful if your wife drives and she isnt that good with parallel parking.

The gen 3 prius has its battery in the boot..running at 20 hours a day..it lasted more than 250,000km..the gen 4 has it under the passenger seat in the cabin..which is cooler..therefore should last longer...

Bear in mind that they also spend a lot of time idling in the car....which doesnt contribute to mileage on the meter...think waiting at taxi stands..queueing at airport..

1 good thing i heard is that they have never had to change the motor( the one that the battery powers) before..which is good news..and they got MANY gen 3 prius..

Posted in another thread, but guess this one more appropriate.

Owners pls take note...

If you bought from PI, might be more tricky...

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/international/toyota-recalls-340-000-priuses-globally-to-fix-parking-brake-iss/3199630.html

Toyota recalls 340,000 Priuses globally to fix parking brake issue
  • Posted 12 Oct 2016 13:55
  •  
  • Updated 12 Oct 2016 16:10
woman-is-reflected-on-a-screen-showing-t
A woman is reflected on a screen showing Toyota Motor Corp's Prius hybrid car at the company's showroom in Tokyo, Japan June 14, 2016. REUTERS/Toru Hanai/File Photo

TOKYO: Toyota Motor Corp said on Wednesday it was recalling around 340,000 of its latest Prius gasoline hybrid model in Japan and overseas to fix a parking brake issue.

The recall covers models produced between August 2015 and October 2016, and affects around 210,000 vehicles in Japan and 94,000 in North America, Toyota said, adding that the balance would be recalled in Europe, Australia and other regions.

No accidents have been reported in Japan in connection with the issue, a Toyota spokeswoman said, while declining to comment on whether any accidents had occurred overseas.

(This version of the story corrects paragraph 2 to say 94,000 vehicles, not 92,000, will be recalled in North America; also corrects start of production period to August 2015, from October 2015)

(Reporting by Naomi Tajitsu; Editing by Subhranshu Sahu)

- Reuters

Ah....

Is the Prius S released in 2015? I always thought production started in 2016  :o

Ah....

Is the Prius S released in 2015? I always thought production started in 2016  :o

haiz.... hear such news really a bit sianz... 

yup... 

i drop a message to hevshop and they ask me to go hua yang to check out the car as they do not have it at their shop...

if i can make it, i will go and check out this weekend.... 

• Praise 1

A Toyota advert in US - Hacks on Wheels...for the ultimate nerd when only behind his hybrid wheels.

Take note of the main character's favorite breakfast package.

A dedicatation to Duckduck   [:p]

the cab color looks kinda nice on prius, esp at night when tail lamp strips lit up.

• Praise 1

Thats great to know.

I think the stated figure for FC is ~37km/L. I will usually discount 20% from the figure which rounds up to around 30KM/L.

Still, 25km/L reading from user is terrific. My current Sunny is around 8KM/L from my guesstimate [laugh]

serious bro? my prev sunny auto return around 10.x kml.. but cornering was stable n grippy, or mayb last time bigger balls..

Ah....

sorry, i don't really know.

I don't know much about Prius as i don't drive one. 

Came across the recall news and so thought it useful to share it here for Prius owners to take note.

If bought from BM, i think BM will definitely call up owner to do the necessary.

But if it's bought from PI, i suspect it might not be so straightforward, speaking from my own experience of my PI Wish being involved in recalls...

• Praise 1

serious bro? my prev sunny auto return around 10.x kml.. but cornering was stable n grippy, or mayb last time bigger balls..

My Sunny coming to 10 years liao. Mileage around 170,000km.

The 8KM/L is just a rough estimate haha. Every 4-5 days have to top up petrol. On average one day travel about 50+ KM.

The Sunny is reliable and the drive is OK just that sometimes during emergency situation the pick up is seriously lacking. Almost made me get into accident on a few occasion. 

My Sunny coming to 10 years liao. Mileage around 170,000km.

The 8KM/L is just a rough estimate haha. Every 4-5 days have to top up petrol. On average one day travel about 50+ KM.

The Sunny is reliable and the drive is OK just that sometimes during emergency situation the pick up is seriously lacking. Almost made me get into accident on a few occasion.

Agree on pick up part. Really can't move when u stomp it from standstill. I tried once on turn right junction, really horrifying exp.. but when cruising on eway u try rev to 4.5k rpm power is ok