Cars after 10 years coe

Kurty

The additional cover also provides personal accident benefits for the driver and medical expenses arising from the motor accident; things such as death, injury etc. For minor accident likely they will cover the repair; windscreen repair is inclusive, if not likely they just ask u to scrap and take back the balance COE. It's just a difference of about $300 just get for piece of mind. Driving is a high risk event. 

So in a sense there is not much value in getting comprehensive for a COE car?  Since if major accident, the insurer will ask you to scrap car? If minor, you can cover yourself. And for personal injury you can buy separate personal accident insurance that will cover you 24/7 even when not you're not driving?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

If anyone wants to know what happens when they skimp on maintenance, we have a very good example to refer to here in Singapore:

SMRT

Its the work of the exCEO who has plenty of business acumen but zero technical know how. Now happily taking up another fat pay check job while the new CEO and the rest of public transport taking SG suffer.

So in a sense there is not much value in getting comprehensive for a COE car?  Since if major accident, the insurer will ask you to scrap car? If minor, you can cover yourself. And for personal injury you can buy separate personal accident insurance that will cover you 24/7 even when not you're not driving?

IMO, individual buying motor insurance should cater to their needs.

You may customize the excess value if you think likely you won't hit someone from back cos you always keep a safe gap.

Slow in accelerate and always drive with comply road speed. You definitely save a lot $$$ in coverage with good safety records.

I actually support 3rd party insurance once I paid off the car loan. I installed camera front and back on the car.

I can afford up front repair cost payment if accident is not major.

• Praise 1

it all depends on individual, for major accident whether u are driving a new or coe car likely need to scrap. I dont think u want to do some major repair for a coe car. Whether they want to compensate anything more is difficult to know now. Comprehensive coverage save u a lot of hassle. eg. if u break your windscreen, outside repair cost might be easily few hundred dollars, comprehensive usually $100 +gst only. 

Edited by Dafansu

it all depends on individual, for major accident whether u are driving a new or coe car likely need to scrap. I dont think u want to do some major repair for a coe car. Whether they want to compensate anything more is difficult to know now. Comprehensive coverage save u a lot of hassle. eg. if u break your windscreen, outside repair cost might be easily few hundred dollars, comprehensive usually $100 +gst only. 

Ok, if it is that cheap then that is ok.  I recall my comprehensive policy say will compensate at market price for equivalent car in event of total scrap after accident. But market price for >10 year car is debatable.  You may just get back your COE balance so that is another risk to factor in if I choose to renew my car COE... 

Thanks All for sharing!

Here are what I've gathered for buying COE cars:

- Honda Stream, Toyota Wish, Camry, Civil are models that should consider to buy

- when test drive, look for any damages/leaks, any unusual noise, engine is smooth/shaky, Gearbox, Suspension, body damage, etc

- ask dealer to allow the car to be check by your own mechanic/workshop or AA/STA. If don't allow, maybe something is wrong?

- don't trust the ODO readings from dealers

- insurance: option of comprehensive and 3rd party only. Price seems to be around $500 to less than $1000 with NCD

- Road tax will increase 10% every year

- set aside $3000 to $5000 for possible repair

Anything I missed out? Please feel free to add to the list.

I narrowed down to Honda Stream and Toyota Wish.

Can anyone share what are the possible repairs, replacement and cost that may be expected specifically for these 2 models which are 10 yr old?

Honda Stream - ???

Toyota Wish - ???

Thank you :)

• Praise 3

For me the only 1.6sedan worth renewing is a VW Jetta.

It's on a aisin GB and relatively well built with a not very high omv that is worth renewing.

W204 C class is also a good candidate. Reliable 1.6 liter supercharged engine and still renewable at Cat A pqp.

OMV also relatively low.

• Praise 3

W204 C class is also a good candidate. Reliable 1.6 liter supercharged engine and still renewable at Cat A pqp.

OMV also relatively low.

I thought those are 1.8L SC?

The 2007 W204 is 1.8L SC. The W204 C200 is in my opinion the best candidate for renewal since road tax is low for 1.8L and CAT B COE PQP is so close to CAT A now.

My 2011 w204 is 1.6 sc... And best part, tuned by factory stock to have the same 156 hp output as the 1.8 sc

Coe of cat a, power of cat b. Now not possible with newer cars already

Thks for suggesting. my concern for VW is the gear box, parts and maintenance, and also the reliability. so is the merc. I have to consider these cars have already ran more than 150000km or more. will they cost the same as those Jap cars mentioned?

I heard DSG gear box repair or replacement is in the 5 figure range. if that's true, then it defeat the purpose of getting a COE cars

I chk sgcarmart, there is no COE jetta that's for sale, and hardly any for 2007 mod. merc C also don't have. and on the road I hardly see those VW and merc models, but still see alot of stream, wish, civic, camry.

I'm still open to hear what other COE models are gd to buy.

And also can anyone share what are the possible repair I have to made for both 10 yr old Wish and Stream?

Thks for suggesting. my concern for VW is the gear box, parts and maintenance, and also the reliability. so is the merc. I have to consider these cars have already ran more than 150000km or more. will they cost the same as those Jap cars mentioned?

I heard DSG gear box repair or replacement is in the 5 figure range. if that's true, then it defeat the purpose of getting a COE cars

I chk sgcarmart, there is no COE jetta that's for sale, and hardly any for 2007 mod. merc C also don't have. and on the road I hardly see those VW and merc models, but still see alot of stream, wish, civic, camry.

I'm still open to hear what other COE models are gd to buy.

And also can anyone share what are the possible repair I have to made for both 10 yr old Wish and Stream?

More familiar with Toyota. For Toyota Wish, few major things need possible repair or replace:

1. Air con compressor. New one cost around $650 but can get recon easily at half the price

2. Alternator. New cost around $800 but can get recon easily at 1/3 of the price

3. Engine mounting. New cost around $450

4. Shock Absorber. New cost around $700 + labour. 

The others small things will be those wear and tear, which doesn't cost as much as the above. Hope it clarifies. 

• Praise 4

My 2011 w204 is 1.6 sc... And best part, tuned by factory stock to have the same 156 hp output as the 1.8 sc

Coe of cat a, power of cat b. Now not possible with newer cars already

2011 W204 C180 chao chao $14K depreciation a year.

Renew COE for 2007 W204 COE only $7K annual depreciation

Big difference leh

2011 W204 C180 chao chao $14K depreciation a year.

Renew COE for 2007 W204 COE only $7K annual depreciation

Big difference leh

Sorry bro i should be clearer..

For now second hand is around 14k...

Those already driving one can consider extending rather than scraping.

It will be much lower in the 7k range, which is what i intend to do when mine is up.

↡ Advertisement