• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
156 replies to this topic | 466 praises

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:54 AM

Vinceng
  • Premium member
    Vinceng
    Turbocharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

it's almost impossible if just looking fetching good price.. even i renew 10yrs + parf only sub 60k, n u also mentioned can't imagine payin 100k for it.. don't talk about coe cars, i also not very willing to pay 100k for new car unless it's mid-range ones of 2000cc capacity.

Cannot think of any brand new 2000cc car that costs below $100k in Singapore

Edited by Vinceng, 08 January 2017 - 02:54 AM.

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:31 AM

MkMan
  • Premium member
    MkMan
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

nowadays, many renew their cor for another 5 years and many also bought renewed COE cars from the market. having to pay 100K for a new car? i think not that worth. in sg, owning a car is so expensive, moreover it is just only 10 years, over than that is either renew or but another.

1) Service to the public trust
2) Protect the innocent
3) Uphold the law

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:26 AM

Fuelsaver
  • Premium member
    Fuelsaver
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Cannot think of any brand new 2000cc car that costs below $100k in Singapore

ya, hence the dilemma.. but should i renew by end of this yr, i'm anticipating some upcoming parts replacement like drive shaft boot, lower arm if fussy about new-new-car handling, engine mount, water pump n timing n other belts, v/v cover gasket.

it's oso the almost new interior like dash+fitments, door trim n ceiling lining+fitments that i hate to see it go to scrap yard (scrap dealer sure to salvage these parts). my fren commented if it was really a 9yo ride..the kids also enjoyed the space n comfort n even asked me to consider keepin the car..

FS

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

Jusnel
  • Jusnel
    6th Gear
    Author Image

ya, hence the dilemma.. but should i renew by end of this yr, i'm anticipating some upcoming parts replacement like drive shaft boot, lower arm if fussy about new-new-car handling, engine mount, water pump n timing n other belts, v/v cover gasket.

it's oso the almost new interior like dash+fitments, door trim n ceiling lining+fitments that i hate to see it go to scrap yard (scrap dealer sure to salvage these parts). my fren commented if it was really a 9yo ride..the kids also enjoyed the space n comfort n even asked me to consider keepin the car..

And don't forget abt yr gearbox. This will cost alot, plus your valuable time going in and out of workshops

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

Vinceng
  • Premium member
    Vinceng
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

If I were you, I would renew 10 yr COE, simply cos yours is not a bread and butter <1.6l car where COE renewal costs and new car costs is marginal, eg. $50k to renew VS Mitsubishi Attrage at $80K Minus B&B car scrap $7K, end up pay only $73K for brand new B&B car..

Even if u get brand new 2000cc car, parts will still fail, mid life.

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

MkMan
  • Premium member
    MkMan
    5th Gear
    Author Image

And don't forget abt yr gearbox. This will cost alot, plus your valuable time going in and out of workshops

fuelsaver didnt mentioned his car gearbox got problem wat.. 

2) Protect the innocent
3) Uphold the law

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

MkMan
  • Premium member
    MkMan
    5th Gear
    Author Image

The challenge is where to find a good condition used car which is close to 10th year.

can always request to send to workshop to check before commit? 

Fuelsaver praised this
2) Protect the innocent
3) Uphold the law

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:17 AM

Jusnel
  • Jusnel
    6th Gear
    Author Image

fuelsaver didnt mentioned his car gearbox got problem wat..

It will have problems after 10 years, realistically. We expect auto gearbox to last 20 yrs without problems?
Ct3833 praised this

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

MkMan
  • Premium member
    MkMan
    5th Gear
    Author Image

It will have problems after 10 years, realistically. We expect auto gearbox to last 20 yrs without problems?

r u sure will have problem if taken care of properly? how about the other country that is heavier usage than sg driving? u sure gearbox will definitely have problem after 10 yrs?

2) Protect the innocent
3) Uphold the law

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I bought a 9 year old Jap car and like it a lot. Well maintained by previous owner who went to AD for service and repair. Even thought of renewing COE with 4 months to go before expiry. But now, the auto transmission is suddenly intermittent and my gear lights disappear while driving and the gear kicks down to a lower level. I think a replacement will cause at least a few k. This sort of problem is completely unpredictable. Really depends on your luck.

Your auto transmission needs a service. A common problem for auto transmisson due to waer and tear. just that it is a little costly. You can still drive it but after a while , the problem would become permanent. I did that before. My auto tran went off after 220k km. Service/repair cost about 2.4k.

Edited by Ct3833, 08 January 2017 - 10:35 AM.

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

Fuelsaver
  • Premium member
    Fuelsaver
    Supercharged
    Author Image

U have ur point, though mine a 4at, wc I hope can outlast current transmission types. But if factor in this n I drive for another 3 yrs wo further issues then scrap n take back unused coe. But even to repair 4at will probably cost another 2-3k as this is not new tech.
Ct3833 praised this
FS

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

Fuelsaver
  • Premium member
    Fuelsaver
    Supercharged
    Author Image

r u sure will have problem if taken care of properly? how about the other country that is heavier usage than sg driving? u sure gearbox will definitely have problem after 10 yrs?

Current mileage at 150k km assuming dealer nvr tweak it. No hesitation, jerk, failure to engage any gear so far. If tahan another 100k km shouldn't b an issue provided I change gear oil every 40k km I think / hope.
FS

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:18 AM

Jusnel
  • Jusnel
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Oh pls. It's part of wear and tear, if u know how auto gearbox works. No matter how u take care, it will have problems. Just like brake pads. Will wear off no matter what.

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

MkMan
  • Premium member
    MkMan
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Oh pls. It's part of wear and tear, if u know how auto gearbox works. No matter how u take care, it will have problems. Just like brake pads. Will wear off no matter what.

well  your statement says after 10 years. never say year what wor..

2) Protect the innocent
3) Uphold the law

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Not about the number of year, it is the mileage travelled and the nature of traffic condition. While we may not travel very far in sgp, the start stop nature of our traffic condition will cause more wear and tear to the components in the auto transmission assembly. The auto trans repair and service is mainly to replce the wear and tear components, generally those gears in the auto box can last nearly forever.

Edited by Ct3833, 08 January 2017 - 12:12 PM.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:34 AM

Halo
  • Halo
    Clutched
    Author Image

Your auto transmission needs a service. A common problem for auto transmisson due to waer and tear. just that it is a little costly. You can still drive it but after a while , the problem would become permanent. I did that before. My auto tran went off after 220k km. Service/repair cost about 2.4k.

Wow!  Your auto tran lasted 220k km before giving problems? What car are you driving?  The only servicing I've seen done by my mechanic is to change transmission fluid! [laugh] 

I figure the repair will be a few k too but with a few months to go, that just adds to the equation of renew COE or buy new car.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:38 AM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Wow! Your auto tran lasted 220k km before giving problems? What car are you driving? The only servicing I've seen done by my mechanic is to change transmission fluid! [laugh]

I figure the repair will be a few k too but with a few months to go, that just adds to the equation of renew COE or buy new car.

It was an Odyssey. Repair cost $2.4k. Had i not repaired it, i would have had to write off about $9k of close to 1 year left depreciation. And assuming i get another new car or a 9 year old car, i would have to pay for another 10k depreciation for the equivalent period, all in all about 20k. I figured it was cheaper to repair it because i knew my car's condition then was quite good, unlikely anything else major need to be repaired. True enough i drove the car till last week before COE expired.

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Modern Automotive Services Pte Ltd

Modern Automotive Services Pte Ltd  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by tkheric  |  Neutral Newbie

Visited this workshop... Talk to Daryl.... Nice guy. Understand that my car is going to scrap in another 9 months... Provide some constructive advise and options and no hard selling. Help to to source recon tyres and I will be going back next Sat for types rotation, balancing and alignment. » Read More

Han Revolution

Han Revolution  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by   |  Neutral Newbie

Very prompt when called. Clearly experts in what they do. Really appreciates their works. A relieved customer here. Hope for the best and happy lunar new year in advance to you.

Related Motor Directory search on sgCarMart.com : Repair & Servicing

Quick Reply

Tags: alfa romeo, car, maintainence and 3 more...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users