Cars after 10 years coe

Kurty

I bought a 9 year old Jap car and like it a lot.  Well maintained by previous owner who went to AD for service and repair.  Even thought of renewing COE with 4 months to go before expiry. But now, the auto transmission is suddenly intermittent and my gear lights disappear while driving and the gear kicks down to a lower level.  I think a replacement will cause at least a few k.  This sort of problem is completely unpredictable.  Really depends on your luck.   

bro,whats the mileage like?

↡ Advertisement

SG car mart is difference cos that's sell by dealer.

5yrs coe for them easy to sell cos looks cheaper when advertise.

Just imagine,if renew 10yrs 50k,parf 10k gone plus profit 10k and sell you 75k above,you want?

For we owner difference,renew 10yrs more worth cos your gone parf spread to 10yrs.

Those wear and tear parts still can be find easily.Only cosmetric parts like headlamp,grill,bumper,windscreen etc sometimes difficult to find if the model is too old if one meet an accident.

noted w tks bro

144k. Mazda 6. Any idea how much a new gearbox might cost?

no idea bro but here's probably a gauge - http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/productSearch.aspx?&ukey_make=995&modelYear=2007&ukey_model=14358&ukey_trimLevel=00&ukey_driveline=00&ukey_Category=20243&numResults=50&sortOrder=Relevance&isOnSale=0&isAccessory=0&isPerformance=0&searchTerm=

i've checked my 4at cost some 3k usd

but bear in mind theirs should be LHD..

btw, my mileage nearin 150k km provided it hasn't been tampered when i bot it at 90+k km.

i'd assume dealer may rewind some 10-20k km since it's running on timing belt n i've changed it at 110+k km but it still looked quite new w no cracks / evidence of wear.. (just remembered a forester wc i checked out from direct buyer at 70+k km; after sold to dealer, same car mileage became 60+k km)

would like to hear some comments about renewing coe for my korean suv, just in case i cannot find a car i like as much as this..

reasons for considering renewing coe being -

- owned it long enuf to know its issues n parts r "cheap" compared to newer cars

- engine n hardy 4at still smooth; feeling of assurance - everyday can start anytime i want, never left me stranded, no consume eo, no jerking, manual mode available, good space n comfortable ride

- no longer have a good trade in price due to left a year

only issue preventing me from renewing will be parf being forfeited, but at dep of under 7k for next 5yrs may still toy w the idea..

side note - have anyone felt they like a spartan car (hard plastics w basic functions) more than modern ones? i've a neighbor who renewed coe twice for a corolla n he really takes good care of it..

If you feel that it is in good condition and can last you for many years more then I would suggest you renew. 

My previous car was quite simple with not much frills. Less things to headache also.

SG car mart is difference cos that's sell by dealer.

5yrs coe for them easy to sell cos looks cheaper when advertise.

Just imagine,if renew 10yrs 50k,parf 10k gone plus profit 10k and sell you 75k above,you want?

For we owner difference,renew 10yrs more worth cos your gone parf spread to 10yrs.

Those wear and tear parts still can be find easily.Only cosmetric parts like headlamp,grill,bumper,windscreen etc sometimes difficult to find if the model is too old if one meet an accident.

Nowadays anything can be found online. Shouldn't be too much of a problem to source for replacement parts.

• Praise 1

no idea bro but here's probably a gauge - http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/productSearch.aspx?&ukey_make=995&modelYear=2007&ukey_model=14358&ukey_trimLevel=00&ukey_driveline=00&ukey_Category=20243&numResults=50&sortOrder=Relevance&isOnSale=0&isAccessory=0&isPerformance=0&searchTerm=

i've checked my 4at cost some 3k usd

but bear in mind theirs should be LHD..

btw, my mileage nearin 150k km provided it hasn't been tampered when i bot it at 90+k km.

i'd assume dealer may rewind some 10-20k km since it's running on timing belt n i've changed it at 110+k km but it still looked quite new w no cracks / evidence of wear.. (just remembered a forester wc i checked out from direct buyer at 70+k km; after sold to dealer, same car mileage became 60+k km)

Thanks, useful website.  Good idea to check international prices!

I bought a 9 year old Jap car and like it a lot.  Well maintained by previous owner who went to AD for service and repair.  Even thought of renewing COE with 4 months to go before expiry. But now, the auto transmission is suddenly intermittent and my gear lights disappear while driving and the gear kicks down to a lower level.  I think a replacement will cause at least a few k.  This sort of problem is completely unpredictable.  Really depends on your luck.   

hmm. gearbox need maintenance too. best to get some mech to take a look at it.

it might not be a serious problem if just do the replacement parts instead of overhauling.

Why so ex?

Comprehensive for my sunny was $647 in the 10th year..

Then renewed coe this year and bought 3rd party insurance for $377 only.

yours AIG also?

lately looking at more then 10years old car and seems that IF you manage to keep it prestine and orignal, it could fetch a whopping good price. As in the case of a Datsun 1200. I cant imagine paying near 100K for it.

lately looking at more then 10years old car and seems that IF you manage to keep it prestine and orignal, it could fetch a whopping good price. As in the case of a Datsun 1200. I cant imagine paying near 100K for it.

it's almost impossible if just looking fetching good price.. even i renew 10yrs + parf only sub 60k, n u also mentioned can't imagine payin 100k for it.. don't talk about coe cars, i also not very willing to pay 100k for new car unless it's mid-range ones of 2000cc capacity.

• Praise 1

get a renewed COE cars is cheaper. 

The challenge is where to find a good condition used car which is close to 10th year.

hmm. gearbox need maintenance too. best to get some mech to take a look at it.

it might not be a serious problem if just do the replacement parts instead of overhauling.

The problem is that it is intermittent.  If my mechanic tries to do anything, he wouldn't know whether he solved the problem or not. Also, I noticed most mechanics very reluctant to troubleshoot gearbox problem. When my old BMW had problems, it is either buy new, buy refurbished or cheapest option to repair at 3-4k with 3 month warranty only.  Probably repairing a Japanese gearbox is cheaper but with only a few months to go... 

it's almost impossible if just looking fetching good price.. even i renew 10yrs + parf only sub 60k, n u also mentioned can't imagine payin 100k for it.. don't talk about coe cars, i also not very willing to pay 100k for new car unless it's mid-range ones of 2000cc capacity.

Cannot think of any brand new 2000cc car that costs below $100k in Singapore

Edited by Vinceng

nowadays, many renew their cor for another 5 years and many also bought renewed COE cars from the market. having to pay 100K for a new car? i think not that worth. in sg, owning a car is so expensive, moreover it is just only 10 years, over than that is either renew or but another.

Cannot think of any brand new 2000cc car that costs below $100k in Singapore

ya, hence the dilemma.. but should i renew by end of this yr, i'm anticipating some upcoming parts replacement like drive shaft boot, lower arm if fussy about new-new-car handling, engine mount, water pump n timing n other belts, v/v cover gasket.

it's oso the almost new interior like dash+fitments, door trim n ceiling lining+fitments that i hate to see it go to scrap yard (scrap dealer sure to salvage these parts). my fren commented if it was really a 9yo ride..the kids also enjoyed the space n comfort n even asked me to consider keepin the car..

ya, hence the dilemma.. but should i renew by end of this yr, i'm anticipating some upcoming parts replacement like drive shaft boot, lower arm if fussy about new-new-car handling, engine mount, water pump n timing n other belts, v/v cover gasket.

it's oso the almost new interior like dash+fitments, door trim n ceiling lining+fitments that i hate to see it go to scrap yard (scrap dealer sure to salvage these parts). my fren commented if it was really a 9yo ride..the kids also enjoyed the space n comfort n even asked me to consider keepin the car..

And don't forget abt yr gearbox. This will cost alot, plus your valuable time going in and out of workshops

If I were you, I would renew 10 yr COE, simply cos yours is not a bread and butter <1.6l car where COE renewal costs and new car costs is marginal, eg. $50k to renew VS Mitsubishi Attrage at $80K Minus B&B car scrap $7K, end up pay only $73K for brand new B&B car..

Even if u get brand new 2000cc car, parts will still fail, mid life.

↡ Advertisement