Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

elmoguy

Tried AMap, GMap, Waze, Sygic and Bmap on Clarion HU (Think it's from Malaysia or Vietnam) installed by AD.  The Clarion supports Carplay and worked flawlessly with my iPhone 6 thru USB1.

Observations: On SG roads, AMap is smooth and economy (battery & data), GMap is most accurate but quite a strain on batt and data, Waze is most informative (Thanks to all bros who provided the inputs while driving!) and Sygic is -- quite commerce heavy (need you to pay for features) and finally BMap (Baidu), well I think it is good for mandarin commands via Siri.

As some bros here pointed out, Apple Siri is good for phone, message and music play commands.  For navigation using any one of the maps mentioned, I gave up!!

I have a new car, wanna do the car play on my existing HU. Anyone got kangtao can pm heh

Buy bmw

Come pre installed

Hahhaha

Yah waze n google maps works well w CarPlay

Buy bmw

Come pre installed

Hahhaha

Yah waze n google maps works well w CarPlay

BMW need to pay yearly subscription right?

Mine free hahahh

Sorry boss, no free lunch in Singapore. You already paid for it by changing your BMW way too often. Edited by Hosaybo

ooo wee...thanks for the post.

Hopefully the wireless works too.

This is the official requirement for AA Wireless:

1. A car or aftermarket receiver that is compatible with Android Auto Wireless.
  2. A Pixel or Nexus phone with Android 8.0 ("Oreo") or higher as follows:
    • Pixel or Pixel XL
    • Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL
    • Nexus 5X or 6P
  3. The Android Auto app version 3.1 and up.
  4. A high-quality USB cable for initial setup.

Unofficially, it is said for the rest of the phones, only Android 9.0 will support but there are users who still cannot get it to work.

1. Wireless workaround for those with AA compatible but non-wireless head unit:

[Android 3.0+]Proxy/GateWay for Android Auto

2. AA for Android Head Unit:

[Android 4.1+] HeadUnit Reloaded for Android Auto with Wifi

So if we already use AA apk should we change anything?????

No need if already using the latest. Otherwise, if you have auto update enabled in Play Store, it should prompt you or do a manual update.
Edited by Carz73

Hi, yes I saw the same requirements way back.  See my other posts here: https://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2710808-pioneer-avh-z9150bt/?do=findComment&comment=6482976 and https://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2710808-pioneer-avh-z9150bt/page-2?do=findComment&comment=6484087 and other posts in the same thread.

Pioneer Singapore earlier told me AA Wireless does not work in Singapore because AA is not supported for Singapore yet.  This is probably why Pioneer 9150 ad has been advertising Android Wireless mirroring feature but nothing is mentioned about AA Wireless.

As they say, there's only 1 way to find, which is for me to test out later since AA is now supported and I've just downloaded the "official" App from the store (rather than APK).

Has any one got AA Wireless to work earlier (or recently) with other phones and including the Pixels 

This is the official requirement for AA Wireless:

1. A car or aftermarket receiver that is compatible with Android Auto Wireless.
  2. A Pixel or Nexus phone with Android 8.0 ("Oreo") or higher as follows:
    • Pixel or Pixel XL
    • Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL
    • Nexus 5X or 6P
  3. The Android Auto app version 3.1 and up.
  4. A high-quality USB cable for initial setup.

Unofficially, it is said for the rest of the phones, only Android 9.0 will support but there are users who still cannot get it to work.

Edited by Reo

@Reo,

Wow Pioneer pulled out all references to Android Auto Wireless???!!! I clearly remember seeing it listed as one of the features other than inside the manual which still has it.

I'm not sure their explanation given to you is accurate. If it's using the same firmware as other countries that are already supported, then it doesn't make sense because there is no difference between apk and app store version as long as it was supported (since v3.1).

There were users of supported list of phones on Android 8.X who reported suddenly getting AA Wireless ability without any updates despite the initial news that it will only arrive with Android 9.0. That can only happen through updates push through Play Services. This could also mean they could control which region has it but I would put my money on firmware and phone support.

What phone and Android version are you using?

Btw, Kenwood APAC 2018 models are also not having AA Wireless (also no Wireless CarPlay) despite equivalent hardware specs as other regions' 2018 AA Wireless compatible models. However, at least they did not list it as supported only to pull it out like Pioneer.