Should I buy a new car now?

flashbang

few years ago, you are correct.

the first owner typically takes the brunt of the depreciation so the subsequent buyers or the resale cars usually have a better deal.

nowadays, if you look at SGcarmart.

you will realise, that the depreciation of 2nd hand cars can be more than new cars! which is f**king ridiculous.

i used to think the same as you, buying 2nd hand is a better deal. after shopping around, i'm pretty much convinced that getting a new car is more worth it nowadays.

in theory, what you have said is absolutely correct. but not all buyers are able to plonk down 50-60% of the initial down payment for new cars. hence second-hand car dealers are laughing all the way to the bank.  :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

in theory, what you have said is absolutely correct. but not all buyers are able to plonk down 50-60% of the initial down payment for new cars. hence second-hand car dealers are laughing all the way to the bank.  :D

exactly because of the 50% DP that's why used car dealers are selling the 2nd hand cars at ridiculous prices.

Edited by Little_prince
  • Praise 1

exactly because of the 50% DP that's why used car dealers are selling the 2nd hand cars at ridiculous prices.

Used car also required to abide with the 40-50% downpayment, right?

• Praise 2

If buy from AD usually can over trade old car to them.

Usually abt 5-10k

Frankly, this overtrade is bullsxxx.

Instead of giving an outright discount of say $5k, they just give you $5k more for your existing ride but that is likely dealer buying price in the first place. Ideally, ask them for the $5k discount from the new car selling price if they allow and then sell your car yourself in sgcarmart. Likely you will be better off by few thousands though admittedly, u need to entertain calls etc. Paperwork, sgcarmart can assist.

Trouble is some ADs/PIs refuse to give direct discount partly cos they can make from your existing ride and also you can get more loan if the new car list price is higher. Another reason could be they don't want to rile previous buyers by keeping prices stable (this esp true for higher end models).

So do take note of the above points when getting a new car, cheers.

• Praise 11

Frankly, this overtrade is bullsxxx.

Instead of giving an outright discount of say $5k, they just give you $5k more for your existing ride but that is likely dealer buying price in the first place. Ideally, ask them for the $5k discount from the new car selling price if they allow and then sell your car yourself in sgcarmart. Likely you will be better off by few thousands though admittedly, u need to entertain calls etc. Paperwork, sgcarmart can assist.

Trouble is some ADs/PIs refuse to give direct discount partly cos they can make from your existing ride and also you can get more loan if the new car list price is higher. Another reason could be they don't want to rile previous buyers by keeping prices stable (this esp true for higher end models).

So do take note of the above points when getting a new car, cheers.

yeah.

but mostly for older cars.

usually those 9 yrs and above car they only offer paper value anyway. so over trade is worth.

for newer cars then bo hua.

• Praise 1

few years ago, you are correct.

the first owner typically takes the brunt of the depreciation so the subsequent buyers or the resale cars usually have a better deal.

nowadays, if you look at SGcarmart.

you will realise, that the depreciation of 2nd hand cars can be more than new cars! which is f**king ridiculous.

i used to think the same as you, buying 2nd hand is a better deal. after shopping around, i'm pretty much convinced that getting a new car is more worth it nowadays.

your seefiro is awaiting you  [;)]

he sounds like some of the forummers here haha

He wanted the article to be discussed by many people.

He's a writer and his articles must have reader. The more the merrier.

• Praise 4

pretty sad to be a motor journalist in SG, have chance to test drive all the tokgong cars. then use wish as your everyday ride

at least overseas, u can have a everyday family car and a more fun car to drive.

• Praise 3

pretty sad to be a motor journalist in SG, have chance to test drive all the tokgong cars. then use wish as your everyday ride

at least overseas, u can have a everyday family car and a more fun car to drive.

Actually, we can always buy a track car & keep at home.

Yes, but the price of used car is lower than new cars, so the amount needed is much lesser.

an article that is rubbish.

a Q7 wanna be owner would not consider extending his coe for cost consideration.

But there are many rich people who also calculates like that. That's y they get rich in the first place :)

Not all rich people will be willing to splurge on cars.

Hi all. Yesterday went to a car showroom , my car still left 18 mths . The sales person told me that if I continue to drive for another 6 mths.  I would only able to trade in my car at paper value. May I know is it true or is he trying bluff me to buy a car from him.

It is true only if you are selling to the car dealers / trading in for a new car.

Yes, but the quantum can be a lot lower. Plus, some dealers even provides balloon scheme and other creative financing options.

Local motor journalist jin ko lian, has to pay extra COE, RF, ARF, exercise duty, CEVS, petrol duties, ERP...

• Praise 1

i rather stop driving and eat better food [laugh][laugh]

Now that's the problem

Sometimes to eat that better food, the car is needed

Because if no car, rather just taobao downstairs then go all the way out

• Praise 8

Ai yah can only give you 5 points.

Want to give you 500 for this post.  [thumbsup]

:D

its ok, gesture much appreciated ... here all [grouphug]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6