Selling one year old Piano

lakopi

I also own a Made in Japan Yamaha U1. There are Yamaha pianos made in China and Indonesia too. Sorry to inform TS that resale value for used pianos is very, very low. Expect to take a big hit, possibly up to 50%. Age of piano is not that big a factor.

The Made in Japan Yamaha U1 will fetch a higher price compared to the Made in China or Indonesia.

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

Is it a necessity to change pianos after a few years, considering their condition will deteriorate and affect resale value?

Or just use till cui then buy a new one instead?

Pianos can last for a long long time if regularly tuned. My first piano was a cheap tokai piano that was already more than 10 years old when I got it. Used it for another 3-4 years before upgrading.

I got a 20-25 year old yamaha piano that probably hasn't been tuned in the last 20 years.

Worth anything? Will take photo of it next time 

Pianos last a really long time - even 50 or 60 year old pianos still see good use 

Sadly, second hand pianos are mostly worthless.  It's hard to get money for them.  

For most people also you only need a "cheap piano" - its not until you get to stuff like grade 7/8 and beyond that you need anything more than an entry level piano from a reputable brand

good piano can last a generation, if you visit the used piano shop, many Yamaha (made in Japan) are almost 10 years and still look and sound like new.

True- i bought my son a piano which was almost 20 years old ('cos I know boys will give up on them - it was just a fad back then) . We sold the flat with the piano thrown in and Buyer was delighted as his little kid just kept on fiddling with the piano when we were negotiating the price and I threw in the piano as I knew it would collect dust and transporting it down 17 floors is gonna kill me . It was some Japanese brand but made in China

• Praise 3

Twincharged

I got a 20-25 year old yamaha piano that probably hasn't been tuned in the last 20 years.

Not sure whether worth anything or not but it will be hard to tune. The last time I had the guy who tunes my pianos for me come over and tune a piano that hasn't been tuned for 6-7 years and he was complaining already. Lol. Took him quite a few hours to get it in tune. Luckily I am a regular customer so never charge extra. But because it hasn't been tuned for so long, got to take another round of tuning a few weeks later to get it back in tune. Had to fix some other miscellaneous stuff also.

If you want to trade in for another instrument at cristofori, it may fetch up to $200.

Pianos can last for a long long time if regularly tuned. My first piano was a cheap tokai piano that was already more than 10 years old when I got it. Used it for another 3-4 years before upgrading.

Ya.. We tune the Kawai twice annually.

When we bought it, we were told it is ready for higher grades.

Anyone knows if Kawai is able to support that? It's probably kind of early.. My kid is at Grade 5 now.

Ya.. We tune the Kawai twice annually.

When we bought it, we were told it is ready for higher grades.

Anyone knows if Kawai is able to support that? It's probably kind of early.. My kid is at Grade 5 now.

A good upright can be used even till diploma level, no problem.

I completely know nothing about pianos, but do want to let my girl start learning in a few years time. Where is the best place to shop for 2nd hand pianos?

I can't buy from other sellers cos haha i really don't know anything about pianos LOL.

If you want to trade in for another instrument at cristofori, it may fetch up to $200.

No la. I just wanna get rid of it. It has been sitting in my MIL's place for so long and I don't think anyone uses it at all.

Just checking if it is worth money otherwise I think I will ask a contractor or town council to get rid of it. (once I convince my MIL that is)

I completely know nothing about pianos, but do want to let my girl start learning in a few years time. Where is the best place to shop for 2nd hand pianos?

I can't buy from other sellers cos haha i really don't know anything about pianos LOL.

this place i visited years back has wide range of used piano (http://apiano.sg/)  , the sales are quite professional and prices are transparent, they also provide good advise base on your needs. You can check the stock list they have in their website.

How old is your kid? 

Why not, when first starting get a digital piano to see if she can stick it out first?  Just make sure you get one with weighted keys - this will be somewhere around $1k. 

otherwise almost any piano will do - hardest thing is moving them into the house.  After that, tune it and you'll be fine, for the first few years even a "mini" piano is ok....

this place i visited years back has wide range of used piano (http://apiano.sg/)  , the sales are quite professional and prices are transparent, they also provide good advise base on your needs. You can check the stock list they have in their website.

THANKS!

can't praise u yet.

How old is your kid? 

Why not, when first starting get a digital piano to see if she can stick it out first?  Just make sure you get one with weighted keys - this will be somewhere around $1k. 

otherwise almost any piano will do - hardest thing is moving them into the house.  After that, tune it and you'll be fine, for the first few years even a "mini" piano is ok....

3 years old.

Just planning ahead. I know nuts. 

wats a digital piano? isn't that just a keyboard?

↡ Advertisement