Selling one year old Piano

lakopi

Hypersonic

Don't force your kids into music. You can initiate/introduce it to them, but don't force them. Don't even ask if they want to learn. Otherwise, you probably stand a chance of having one big black elephant in your house especially so if it's a piano.

If they wanna learn, they will by hook or by crook.

My niece, both parents objected her to learn due to budget constraints. However, she self-learn with her own savings, giving tuition. Basically, a self-motivated learner.

Mine is totally opposite. An expensive mistake!

My opinion is that, if wanna them learn (by "force"), get them to learn "cheap" and portable musical instruments like guitar, ukelele, harmonica....

Agree fully with you... i bought a second hand  piano for my son (knowing that he will give up for sure after some time) and indeed he gave it up ,  Collected dust in the house for almost over 3 years and used it as a bar counter; When I sold the flat the Buyers son kept on badgering the father for the piano and I also encouraged him to play and they bought my apt becos of the piano, wow this one I call "catalyst effect"   

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

Those who are thinking of buying a used piano , can ask around among colleagues, friends and relatives.  Chances are there is someone who has a piano sitting in one corner for years and doing nothing but collect dust.  They will sell for cheap if they can find someone willing to provide delivery and get some money back.  I know cos a few person their kids grown up already stop learning and collect dust forever.

My MIL has a 30 year old one collecting dust..... [hur]

My MIL has a 30 year old one collecting dust..... [hur]

My mum has a manual sewing machine

Singer one

But she is using on and off

Those use leg paddle one

Supersonic

Singer one

Those use leg paddle one

Yes.... my MIL has a similar one. 

Also collecting dust.

Yes.... my MIL has a similar one.

Also collecting dust.

My grandma paid a lot of money for it

Still got the receipt for it

That's why my mum is not willing to throw it away

Hypersonic

Singer one

Those use leg paddle one

I've been watching my mum sew since the early 1980s and I've never seen a manual sewing machine LOL 

I think they haven't really existed since maybe before 1970s lol...

Hypersonic

Ok so, it's finally coming down to going to initiate my girl into piano lessons.

My girl is turning 5 this year.

She went for some music class held by a lady near our place for a couple of months. So learnt how to read the notes etc, apparently according to the lady, she has perfect pitch. And she does know how to play twinkle twinkle little star on a digital keyboard.

So now going to intro her to a piano teacher and see how it goes.

For the instrument buying, the music class lady recommended us 

http://www.asiapiano.com.sg/

And http://apiano.sg/directions/ (as per @Jman888 earlier recommendations) will be places i will be checking out.

As of now, probably looking at a 2nd hand Yamaha U1 or something else (like i say i know nuts).

Any other recommendations on shops i can look at?

It's tough to decide a good piano when your girl is still so young. How long she will persist in learning is the major concern before plunging thousands into a piano. Other than Yamaha, there's also Kawai that you can consider. Cheaper and not bad. My kids using it.

Perfect pitch is very rare. If your girl has it, she will be very good at music. [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

It's tough to decide a good piano when your girl is still so young. How long she will persist in learning is the major concern before plunging thousands into a piano. Other than Yamaha, there's also Kawai that you can consider. Cheaper and not bad. My kids using it.

Perfect pitch is very rare. If your girl has it, she will be very good at music. [thumbsup]

yeah basically its the U1 vs other ones from Kawai. But kawai seems to have changed their model numbering system, so bit confused there.

Less info about the Kawai ones also from what i'm reading at the KSparent thread.

I've been watching my mum sew since the early 1980s and I've never seen a manual sewing machine LOL

I think they haven't really existed since maybe before 1970s lol...

Like this one

Singer_sewing_machine_table.jpg

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Ok lah. they spend a lot of time listening to kiddy songs on youtube and the mp3.

So bringing them to the next level 

Never get the chance to learn music, now almost half my life gone, still cannot play any musical instrument.

Am I missing something here? [confused]

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

I've seen before. Lol my mum was a seamstress.

I've asked my mum before, she said since she started working in the late 1960s, it's already electric liao.

This one is more for home use. And it's cheaper, so some homes have it. But my mum is pro, so she never had one of these.

Like this one
Singer_sewing_machine_table.jpg

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Never get the chance to learn music, now almost half my life gone, still cannot play any musical instrument.

Once get a girlfriend or wife, much of the music skill becomes useless unless one is a professional..

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Once get a girlfriend or wife, much of the music skill becomes useless unless one is a professional..

Over in the other piano thread here in MCF, some MCF kakis have it as their hobby to learn some pieces and play them.

Hypersonic

Try blowing the 10footer. Maybe can make music at the same time :secret-laugh:[laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 1

You forgot.......I cannot blow for nuts (X2)

:D

Try blowing the 10footer. Maybe can make music at the same time :secret-laugh:[laugh] [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2