Selling one year old Piano

lakopi

Hypersonic

anyway update on this thread. The teacher feels my girl doesn't have the attention span required yet to learn. So she will assess my girl again in 6 months time.

So i guess didi can get to keep his play yard area for another 6 months LOL  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

My girl almost completed one sem of Yamaha music class. Well along the way the totally musically uneducated lao Peh also learn some kiddy music along the way hahaha.

Now looking to get a piano. Since her current kb is too basic. Can't even play two notes together sometimes lol.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

My girl almost completed one sem of Yamaha music class. Well along the way the totally musically uneducated lao Peh also learn some kiddy music along the way hahaha.

Now looking to get a piano. Since her current kb is too basic. Can't even play two notes together sometimes lol.

My kids started with a MIC dunno what brand for a short while before moving on to a second hand standing one for $4k

Kawai is a Jap brand said to be reputable like Yamaha, but the latter were few k more expensive.

Since they are all exam grade pianos I chose the cheaper one..

And same here.. laopeh me don't have music cells but so far the piano plays okay after these years.

We engage the seller to tune for us about once yearly. He's charging me $90 each time.

Am still looking for a cheaper and good one.

• Praise 1

Look for Mr. Yap at 9770 9142 for reasonably priced piano tuning services..

2 yrs back price was $50 / Trip.. now not sure..

Edited by Freeder
  • Praise 8

OK placed a deposit for a Kawai bs-20 (which is a predecessor for the current K5). Frankly know nuts about pianos. But chose one that is not too mellow and keys not too soft/stiff based on the advice of the staff.

• Praise 1

nice... i have guitars at home so will probably start my kids on guitar/ukulele next time... they are currently playing with toy kb which cannot even play 2 notes together also haha... the Hello Kitty one...

nice... i have guitars at home so will probably start my kids on guitar/ukulele next time... they are currently playing with toy kb which cannot even play 2 notes together also haha... the Hello Kitty one...

Mine is a loan from my SIL's brother. I think it's about 200 dollar type but quite surprising it can't even do that.

Mine is a loan from my SIL's brother. I think it's about 200 dollar type but quite surprising it can't even do that.

i see... there are pretty decent basic keyboards nowadays and quite affordable prices... less than $100 should have... anyway you have your Kawai coming

i see... there are pretty decent basic keyboards nowadays and quite affordable prices... less than $100 should have... anyway you have your Kawai coming

OK placed a deposit for a Kawai bs-20 (which is a predecessor for the current K5). Frankly know nuts about pianos. But chose one that is not too mellow and keys not too soft/stiff based on the advice of the staff.

Kawai not bad, my kids also using. Enough for most people already. Important is it's not too expensive :D

• Praise 1

Used or new?

Used or new?

used. 1988-1989 origin. 3999 with everything included lor (concert bench, 2 tuning within 1 year)

I think the yamahas available are even older, 30+ years, and some of the newer U1s sound awful. One of the ladies say, it's ironic that the indonesian assembled U1J tends to sound better nowadays lol 

The one i bought is not mellow for a kawai, but they say that children prefer brighter sound. And it had a good balance between not too hard to press the keys vs too soft (the fast talking young man says if your keys are too soft, they may struggle when the kids do exams on a stiffer piano)

Ok lah. Totally know zero about piano one, trust the shop better. 

Can always sell back at a loss but highly doubt so.

Kawai not bad, my kids also using. Enough for most people already. Important is it's not too expensive :D

well if u consider the age of the piano, it's expensive.

But since i dunno nuts about how to examine pianos for wear and tear and have zero background in this, better trust the shop to check for me.

Anyway their 5 year warranty on the important components of the piano (inclusive of wires rust) excluding transport charge is quite reassuring. 

My kid 4yr old plus also just started the lessons 3 mths ago. Quite like the lessons.

When do you all supposed the right time to buy piano?

After a year?

well if u consider the age of the piano, it's expensive.

But since i dunno nuts about how to examine pianos for wear and tear and have zero background in this, better trust the shop to check for me.

Anyway their 5 year warranty on the important components of the piano (inclusive of wires rust) excluding transport charge is quite reassuring. 

It's a pretty good deal if the piano has been kept in good condition. The one I got was about 20 yrs old and costs about the same. Just remember to get it tune twice a year and all will be good.

My kid 4yr old plus also just started the lessons 3 mths ago. Quite like the lessons.

After a year?

4-5 yrs old is about the right time to start piano lessons. If your kid really likes it, then buy one that could last her to grade 8. Must persevere or it will just become a dead weight occupying a lot of space at home.

• Praise 1

After a year?

I would say go for proper lesson that require to sit for exam, after grade 1 if the child is still interested (that will take 1 year of practice to see if she/he run out of patience), before that the child can always practice at the teacher's place/school.

• Praise 1

After a year?

if it's a 1-1 teaching, i would get her a piano early. If it's yamaha, i would say can do it about 6-12 months on.

Like right now, my girl completed 6 months, I'm thinking i will continue letting her join yamaha for another 6 months since it's fun and u can sing songs, and the way they teach is very slow but systematic.

Downside is that the teacher is difficult to concentrate on improving each individual student, especially since her class has like 2 boys which 1 of them is just close to being outright disruptive, and another boy who's like close to mute in his participation in the class.

Then switch to an individual teacher.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1