Programming/Coding can't be taught

Lala81

Very interesting article. 

https://jaxenter.com/learn-to-code-its-harder-than-you-think-122738.html

I totally agree with it. I did join the computing club when i was in secondary 1. Found it too tough, i just couldn't do even simple programming. My brain isn't just wired correctly to do this.

My wife did computer engine. By her own admission, she's at best an average programmer. But even then i think her logical processing at least in terms of computing is way beyond me.

So good coders/programmers is still something in very short supply and a skill like learning surgery or being a pilot.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Programming is a language similar to maths. Your logical thinking has little to do with not being able to program. If I am not wrong, a doctor goes through a logical decision tree when dianosing?

• Praise 1

Programming is a language similar to maths. Your logical thinking has little to do with not being able to program. If I am not wrong, a doctor goes through a logical decision tree when dianosing?

hmmm you can force yourself to learn the steps. It's easier than coding. But yes takes years of learning and some experience as well. 

Of course some people are more gifted than others.

yeah i don't think like a computer. I tend to rely more on intuition and skipping steps.

Writing code is easy.

Writing code that works (achieves a non-trivial objective) is a little harder.

Writing code that not only works but is also parsimonious (optimised and about as fast as you can get) is very hard.

An amateur can do the first, the average enthusiast can do the second, but only the best coders can do the last.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

hmmm you can force yourself to learn the steps. It's easier than coding. But yes takes years of learning and some experience as well. 

Of course some people are more gifted than others.

yeah i don't think like a computer. I tend to rely more on intuition and skipping steps.

Sooo, like dr house?

Interesting read.

Typically speaking those that have been taught programming in their education days. Most will find that the programming languages learnt would have been outdated by the time they joined society.

What most important is that you learnt the the flow and the techniques of programming language, which is very much based on logical thinking, as some would say. From there onward, picking up a new programming will be pretty much the same, unless the programming language has revolutionised itself so much, that the learnt techniques cannot be applied.

Programming is not everyone. I know because I studied all sorts of programming languages.

I have seen many people struggling with even simple tasks. The question I posed to them then was "Why did you choose to study this then?"

Sometimes the logic sequences just do not come naturally to many people.

• Praise 1

Programming is not everyone. I know because I studied all sorts of programming languages.

I have seen many people struggling with even simple tasks. The question I posed to them then was "Why did you choose to study this then?"

didn't know you in IT field

didn't know you in IT field

Been in IT all my life but I don't program codes anymore. No time for that. Only once in a while take out a book to read. Been wanting to learn apps but can't find the time.

• Praise 1

You are right, programming cannot be taught. I have never went through any formal education or courses on programming. 

• Praise 2

You are right, programming cannot be taught. I have never went through any formal education or courses on programming. 

Same here and in truth, you become good by the number of hours you "invest" in it.  Then again, my programming is limited to playing with linear algebra.  [laugh]

• Praise 1

For someone who doesn't know anything about coding but would like to figure out if he is talented in it, how should go about it?

For someone who doesn't know anything about coding but would like to figure out if he is talented in it, how should go about it?

Open up Excel, there is a nifty thing call Excel VBA.  Google basic EXCEL VBA and try.

Been in IT all my life but I don't program codes anymore. No time for that. Only once in a while take out a book to read. Been wanting to learn apps but can't find the time.

now you use Mouth power only rite kekeke  :secret-laugh:

Open up Excel, there is a nifty thing call Excel VBA.  Google basic EXCEL VBA and try.

those programming not fun ....... try AI programming  :XD:

Edited by Angcheek
  • Praise 3

You can start by self learning C++ or Visual Basic. Go bookstore or library pick up a self learning book (can try the Dummies series if you are really starting from scratch). Download the software from internet and you are good to go. If you are still interested in writing simple programs after 3 months, you can proceed on. By then you should know how to pick up on other more challenging programming languages.

I self taught myself more than 5 programming languages during sec school, software engineering was 1 of my majors in uni, was considered very good at programming back then, first job was a programmer. But quit programming as a job after 2 years because it was no longer fun.

Hope this helps. :huh:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1