GPS Mount

elmoguy

How do you all actually mount your GPS in your car?

I wonder how this work, as I don't think any mounting device is that strong. I tried many but most cannot make it and not able to hold the device's weight.

post-165514-0-27550600-1450708424.jpg

This actually block the front view. During the night, the display will be reflected onto the front windows at night. This resulted in poor vision.

post-165514-0-57284200-1450708534.jpg

This device is not reliable and will drop off when you made a sharp turn. Cabling also an issue.

post-165514-0-23701200-1450708593.jpg

This will cause "condensation" on your device and also block the air flow from the AC.

post-165514-0-14257300-1450708630.jpg

Your solar film will left with mark with this mounting method.

post-165514-0-23307600-1450708690.jpg

Yet to try this magnetic device. But don't think it can hold the weight.

post-165514-0-51665300-1450708738.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

post-14834-0-09177400-1450709812_thumb.jpg

I use this, it's heavy at the base, put at dashboard is quite stable, best is no need scared the suction cap came loose and dropped off or leave permanent suction cap mark if stick to the windscreen under hot sun for too long.

• Praise 1

I tried this but doesn't work as it is not firm and stable enough.

post-165514-0-17964600-1450710871.jpg

I actually wanted to try this but too expensive.

post-165514-0-74561600-1450710895.jpg

Wanted to clip it here... not sure will it hold... It will not block air flow from AC and will not have reflection on the front glass.

post-165514-0-83726400-1450711066.jpg

51o-89qjhfL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M8ST36

I'm using this. It's the best I find so far coz with the 80mm big suction cup it can take a lot of tablet & smartphone weight. Leaving a mark on the solar film is no big deal. Just spray some water and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth. It comes with 4 x short claws and 4 x long claws you can mix and match to suit your device. It can hold my 7" tablet with the casing attached and cover flipped to the back. It can also hold my iphone6 with a charging case. It's quite heavy with the charging case. Not once did it drop or become detached over time. I bought it since 2014 Dec.

• Praise 1

i use the pack of 3 anti slip homeproud mat at ntuc

put the gps on it and tilt it

prop in between centre console and gear lever, works if your car gear lever and centre console just nice got the small space and angle to tilt there

aircon control is automatic, block it a bit wont harm

http://performancedrive.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2015-Volkswagen-Passat-gear-lever.jpg

$1 dollar solution

Edited by Furrynadz
  • Praise 1

I actually like this but it is for tablet. 

post-165514-0-56531000-1450749906_thumb.jpg

I tried other brand which is for Phone and GPS, but cannot make it. The suction cup will not stick.

i use the pack of 3 anti slip homeproud mat at ntuc

put the gps on it and tilt it

prop in between centre console and gear lever, works if your car gear lever and centre console just nice got the small space and angle to tilt there

aircon control is automatic, block it a bit wont harm

http://performancedrive.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2015-Volkswagen-Passat-gear-lever.jpg

$1 dollar solution

You are very creative.

Hi TS, a good solution is to get a car with GPS for your new car. No more wires and mount!

That's the most waste $$$ suggestion.

Every map update is about $1k.

MSM is for free.

• Praise 1

Hi TS, a good solution is to get a car with GPS for your new car. No more wires and mount!

My car has GPS system and it display is below the AC. This is a stupid design whereby the display screen is not a eye level. Every year needs to pay subscription fee. Resolution is lousy as Garmin max is 800 x 400 and in order to blow up to the screen entirely, they just extrapolate and look damn ugly.

The map is Garmin and it is the basic range and cannot make it. Garmin system now has voice command, 3D Buildings, 3D terrain, Traffic system, etc. and the map is Free for Life Time, if not MSM or Malsing.

My car has GPS system and it display is below the AC. This is a stupid design whereby the display screen is not a eye level. Every year needs to pay subscription fee. Resolution is lousy as Garmin max is 800 x 400 and in order to blow up to the screen entirely, they just extrapolate and look damn ugly.

The map is Garmin and it is the basic range and cannot make it. Garmin system now has voice command, 3D Buildings, 3D terrain, Traffic system, etc. and the map is Free for Life Time, if not MSM or Malsing.

Sorry I meant if you are getting a new car. Most new cars' GPS should have these features you mentioned, more or less at eye level.

Some workshops sell "subscription" or annual map update at $50 per year.  

Sorry for being OT here, I understand you are looking for GPS mount. There are some Garmin mounts out there...

Sorry I meant if you are getting a new car. Most new cars' GPS should have these features you mentioned, more or less at eye level.

Some workshops sell "subscription" or annual map update at $50 per year.  

Sorry for being OT here, I understand you are looking for GPS mount. There are some Garmin mounts out there...

Hi Weez911. No need for sorry, we are here for discussion. I valued your input too.

Have a great day.  [;)]

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

i'm using two solutions... one is a strong, sturdy GPS/tablet/phone holder that sits inside a cup holder. Very sturdy construction and of course, cannot drop since it's held by the cup holder.

Due to my odd situation with my phone model I use one of those windshield clamp types (similar to DashCrab FX) that in turn grips my actual phone cradle.

↡ Advertisement