5 Industries in Singapore That May Be Facing a Tougher 2016

Yaloryalor

I just left the oil and gas industry (1.5 years back) + shipping industry (few months back) so I know what it is like to be in a company where you worry about your job all the time....

Current job is (to my knowledge) extremely secure for the next couple of years but the work isn't as dynamic and rewarding as what I used to do. Hope those industries bleed out quickly so they can have a quick recovery.

• Praise 4

There may be good buys when retrenchments starts in 2016. So those who are looking for 2nd hand cars, hold on for a while. I am quite sure there are people who will sell their cars once they are retrenched

• Praise 1

I just left the oil and gas industry (1.5 years back) + shipping industry (few months back) so I know what it is like to be in a company where you worry about your job all the time....

Current job is (to my knowledge) extremely secure for the next couple of years but the work isn't as dynamic and rewarding as what I used to do. Hope those industries bleed out quickly so they can have a quick recovery.

u joined civil service is it?

:D

• Praise 2

Today's papers mentioning Finance Industry also facing retrenchments with banks like Rabobank, Standard Chartered, HSBC and JP Morgan axing staff, so looks like tough times ahead for quite a few industries [sweatdrop]

• Praise 8

u joined civil service is it?

No la. But it was indeed one of my considerations. 

Maybe another 5-10 years when I just wanna relax.

Insurance also seems to be trimming operations a little. Last month AIG regional office in Singapore had retrenchment exercise. Tiagong the AIG Singapore office now waiting for their turn.

It seems like most industries are affected?

we're in a recession lah but garmen refuse to admit.

last shoe to drop are those tech unicorns like uber grabtaxi airbnb etc... now theyre hiring like mad sure chop like mad when their turn comes

• Praise 1

No la. But it was indeed one of my considerations. 

Maybe another 5-10 years when I just wanna relax.

so which industry is extremely secure right now?

i am sure many like to know and apply

• Praise 1

we're in a recession lah but garmen refuse to admit.

Of course lah. Or else ppl will go into panic mode. Imagine those who just buy house buy cars.

Anyway ppl do not need the news media to tell them there are troubled times ahead. It can be felt in every industry.

I think medical industry.

Esp those dealing with elderly care. Either nursing home or elderly care products.

• Praise 3

I think medical industry.

Esp those dealing with elderly care. Either nursing home or elderly care products.

ya thanks for reminding

just have to look at those MCFers in this industry

all very huat

[laugh]

I didn't say my current industry is secure leh...

But I think my job is secure because of project requirements. Also, client is highly unlikely to terminate the contract as it is a critical service.

I think Construction industry/Property Devpt.... is been hit hard too, O&G (not obstetric and Gynae!!) also badly hit, Shipping lines and bunkering; Oil Palm due to oil price drop ......... even Property Agents are running around helter skelter, so many empty units everywhere, even Law firms are trimming excess fat (staff)... due to Banks/Property movement slowing..... peekture is preety bad... what effect on Coe's .... cannot say..... there are many rich in Singapore still, only Govt Dept and hospitals supply/ service  might be good still         

• Praise 1

Of course lah. Or else ppl will go into panic mode. Imagine those who just buy house buy cars.

Anyway ppl do not need the news media to tell them there are troubled times ahead. It can be felt in every industry.

Buy car still can sell but if buy house then difficult liao if lose job.

Funeral Directors. Good times, bad times, people still need to die. Most don't ask for discounts, all pay up quickly, your clients never complain.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 5

Funeral Directors. Good times, bad times, people still need to die. Most don't ask for discounts, all pay up quickly, your clients never complain.

some they have to provide free service

because unable to pay up hor....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1