Family Traditions for Christmas

Darryn

Do you have any traditions that you practise during Christmas?  Anything that you have done year after year? 

For us - there is nothing specific, other than allowing the kids to open one present on Christmas Eve. 

We do put up a big tree every year though - and love putting presents under it. Extended family coming round to our place for a Christmas lunch - we'll be about 18-20 pax or so for the afternoon. 

One thing that I miss at this time of year - business Christmas parties.  I come from a small town, and it is rather traditional for service providers (eg: the local garage, convenience store etc) to have an afternoon of drinks and talk cock for their customers.  Quite fun in a small town kind of way. 

And as a follow up bonus question - do you see Christmas as a Christian or a Secular celebration?  Do you go to Church? 

For us, it is all about family and renewing ties - basically what reunion dinner is the Chinese community or Hari Raya is to the Muslim I think. 

I don't go to church, and don't celebrate anything overtly Christian during this period.  In fact, I am slightly annoyed at my nephew who is going to church twice on Christmas Day. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Turbocharged

If I am not wrong on Christmas Eve 3 wise men turned up but for me and my kakis on Christmas Day 4 wise men will be playing mahjong .

• Praise 4

It's a Capitalist machinery, justified by religious myths disguised as secular celebration. [laugh]

Wah lau!! 

Hipster rebel much? 

[:p]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

No special celebrations... just a dinner makan :)

+1

Never celebrated christmas. Just makan and receive one or two  presents from colleagues. Go to other ppls house who are christians or catholics to eat their turkey and ham. But this year home alone with my mum and me. Let the helper who is a catholic go celebrate.

• Praise 3

Had to man wifey office for a bit ...soo raided their fridge to support my Xmas. (Nobody else wants)

Wah her company so good welfare

Provide beer in the pantry

Sure or not?

• Praise 3

Never used to celebrate. Just hosted my first xmas party celebration. Want to start a new tradition for my kids. I like the xmas celebration though I don't believe in the religious significance.

Lol since not many celebrate the winter solstice anymore, have to celebrate what people celebrate lor. Ha

• Praise 2

But Chinese new year is the really important celebration for my family.

I ish go help temple do spring cleaning today. Once a year thing in prep for Chinese new year

Lol never pegged you as religious
  • Praise 3

I ish go help temple do spring cleaning today. Once a year thing in prep for Chinese new year

[thumbsup] You are a good man.

Merry Christmas!

• Praise 2

Do too many bad things this year, realised no presents from Santa so want to make amends?

• Praise 1

post-131345-0-40051900-1451010173.jpg

i am trying to start a family tradition so hope any bros that can intro gals of this calibre to me .

thanks a million

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 1

I think in Singapore, the non-christians celebrate xmas much harder than the christians

The Christians celebrate it what. Haha most non Christian families don't celebrate actually. Youngsters just want a reason to party lol. Like my parents, probably like went to only a few xmas parties in their entire lifetimes

But actually my mum was busy cleaning up my kitchen and feeding my girl and etc etc. Couldn't get her to sit down and take a break. Lol

↡ Advertisement