Escape Room

Lotr

just went to a escape room game at Peace Centre with my family over the weekend.  First time experienced such a game and was quite impressed with the implementation of tech stuff/gadgetry such as RFID, laser lights etc, some of it makes me feel like I am in a movie.  The staff are also helpful to provide clues anytime we are stuck at a puzzle as long as we ask.  They even came in to guide us on 2 of the puzzles.  Some other place states that only one clue will be given per game.

Still it was actually quite expensive, almost $30 per head for a stipulated game time of 1hr  (Later I realized this is almost the standard price for peak hours, off-peak will be cheaper).  Luckily for us, the next game slot was not taken and we could play for another 30mins, though we were still stuck in the room at the end and the staff had to come in to get us out!!!

I must say that I am interested to visit again and a search on the web showed that there are easily around 10 or so such places in operation, really spoiled for choice to decide which one to visit next.

Anyone has any good experience of escape rooms to share?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Extra 30 mins?

So game ends when you solve it?

Smart people get a bad deal.

Not for me.

:D

smart people act blur and make sure their money well spent.
  • Praise 2

just went to a escape room game at Peace Centre with my family over the weekend.  First time experienced such a game and was quite impressed with the implementation of tech stuff/gadgetry such as RFID, laser lights etc, some of it makes me feel like I am in a movie.  The staff are also helpful to provide clues anytime we are stuck at a puzzle as long as we ask.  They even came in to guide us on 2 of the puzzles.  Some other place states that only one clue will be given per game.

Still it was actually quite expensive, almost $30 per head for a stipulated game time of 1hr  (Later I realized this is almost the standard price for peak hours, off-peak will be cheaper).  Luckily for us, the next game slot was not taken and we could play for another 30mins, though we were still stuck in the room at the end and the staff had to come in to get us out!!!

I must say that I am interested to visit again and a search on the web showed that there are easily around 10 or so such places in operation, really spoiled for choice to decide which one to visit next.

I have been to the Escape Hunt at Concorde Hotel. To begin with, the staff are all ladies and they all look very presentable in that sherlock costumes. The game itself is quite challenging, we took about 1 hour to solve all the puzzles with a couple of hints from the staff. A nice novelty I would say, and would encourage people to try out. There is no running about, just bring your good old thinkng cap.  [scholar]

Usually I don't go during peak periods. Me and my friends are cheapo in that way... Haha

There are quite a few, I haven't tried the one at Peace Centre, but there is one at Bugis+ (Old Iluma), another at Khandarhar Street. After a while, they do get a little stale, unless you try the different themes. The replayability isn't there for me.

I find it quite exp though, I'd rather go for other more.. Physical stuff... Like Wavehouse...

SG so ex, go JB lah so much cheaper

sometimes even free.

:D

Two Singaporean women were detained and

ordered a strip search by Malaysian authorities.

(Yahoo! Photo)

UPDATE

Malaysia's Home Ministry has yet to receive any official report on the alleged mistreatment of two Singaporeans by immigration officers at the Johor Bahru customs checkpoint last week.

As such, Home Ministry Secretary-General Mahmud Ahmad declined to comment on the matter, according to Malaysian paper Sin Chew Daily.

However the case -- which saw two Singaporean ladies being strip-searched and ordered to do squats in the nude while being detained -- has sparked widespread outrage among Singaporean netizens.

Since it was first posted late on Tuesday evening, the story has been shared on Facebook over 3,000 times and drawn over 700 comments.

Some have called for a boycott of shops in Johor Bahru while others called for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to launch a proper investigation into the alleged abuse.

Yahoo! Fit-to-Post reader SH commented, "As consumers and tourists, we should vote with our pockets, boycott poor service shops and countries which do not appreciate our tourism dollars."

Another reader Koh wrote, "Is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs doing something about this ? This is a common trick of Malaysian Immigration to extort money from Singaporeans. Why do we need to go to JB to save money. Patronize a country that obviously do not welcome you?"

Yet others questioned why the two ladies ventured up to Johor Bahru for supper at such a late hour.

Reader Patriot wrote, "1.30am going to JB for supper just two ladies ? Must be out of your mind right? Singapore got so many night haunts for supper and yet you choose JB."

The two Singaporeans in question were reportedly detained by Malaysian law enforcement officers in Johor Bahru early last Thursday morning after they were accused of enteringMalaysia illegally.

The pair were also ordered to strip and do squats with their hands on their ears for 10 times when they were sent to a detention centre.

The ordeal happened when Lim Lili and Zhan Tingting (not their real names) drove across the Causeway for supper at about 1:30am. When they reached the Malaysian customs checkpoint, both women inadvertently did not get their passports stamped.

According to Lianhe Zaobao, Lim said she had entered a lane that displayed a green light which signalled that the lane was in operation.

Lim recalled seeing that the lane had no immigration officer at the counter and it was at this point that they didn't get their passports stamped. Zhan then alighted to purchase a "Touch N Go" prepaid card to pay for their entry into Malaysia.

As it was their first time experiencing the new biometric scanner at the counter, Lim used the intercom and tried to ask another officer for help. Both waited at the counter for five minutes before they decided to move on as Lim thought that there would be another counter for them to scan their fingers.

But instead, they drove into Johor Bahru without getting their passports stamped and fingerprints scanned. Realising something was wrong, Lim drove her car back to the customs to obtain an entry chop for their passports.

However, when reached the customs at 2am, they were accused of entering Malaysia illegally and questioned by Malaysian law enforcement officers.

"When my statement was taken, both of us tried to explain ourselves and requested for them to check with Singapore's immigration department to check their departure timings and CCTV footage to clarify that once we knew there was a mistake, we quickly turned back," said Zhan.

The officers then curtly informed them of the offence and punishment, emphasising the RM10,000 (S$4,069) and jail term.

Both women were detained in a room until 5pm on 10 June and were only allowed to make a phone call each.

One of them called a friend while the other spoke to her brother, who contacted the Singapore High Commission in Malaysia and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

"Somebody with a higher rank came and started speaking to us in Malay. A translator told us if we were willing to accept a fine of RM3,000 (S$1,220) to resolve the situation," said Zhan.

"And because we were so tired, we agreed to pay the fine and we signed an agreement that was in Malay," Zhan added.

Officers led the two women to an ATM machine to withdraw cash to pay the fine. But the women received another shock when the officers suddenly said that they will be sent to a detention centre in Pontian district and will be detained for up to 14 days.

Lim then asked the officers, "I thought we already settled the case?"

They were later handcuffed and sent to the women's division at the detention centre. Lim and Zhan met a female officer who ordered a strip search. Both women were made to strip and do squats with their hands on their ears for 10 times before they were allowed to change into their prison uniforms.

Zhan said: "The place was dirty and smelly, the roach-infested room was two-thirds of the basketball court, no bed, four wooden walls, with 50 people in it."

"We were treated like criminals even before we were pronounced guilty, it was humiliating. Most of the detainees were Filipinos and Indonesians without passports. We were the only Singaporeans."

After a night in the centre, the officers woke them up at 5am to do the Islamic morning prayers.

She said in the span of 24 hours, besides eating and praying, we were stuck in the room. When it was time to eat, we did not have forks and spoons and ate with our hands. We did not dare to finish eating, but the rest of the detainees told us to finish because if we did not, the officers will punish us."

• Praise 1

this should be quite fun in 7th month   [sweatdrop]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Haw Par Villa launches adventure game to attract young visitors
Anjali Raguraman, PUBLISHED 7 HOURS AGO

ST_20160516_ARHAWPAR_2292822.jpg?itok=_f
Game masters steer the escape game at Haw Par Villa (above). PHOTOS: VENCEL GYULAI

The once popular Haw Par Villa received a shot in the arm last Saturday when about 200 people turned up at the 79-year-old theme park in Pasir Panjang to take part in a large-scale escape game.

The outdoor adventure game is among the first initiatives the park's new operator Journeys is rolling out to attract a new and younger audience. A second round of games will be held this Saturday.

The park operator is also keen to extend the attraction's opening hours beyond 7pm and the escape game event marks its first move to do so. Lights were installed in parts of the park for the games to carry on until 10pm.

The event is organised in partnership with escape game operator Lockdown Singapore. Four hour- long games were held throughout the day with each game accommodating up to 10 teams of six people.

Ms Savita Kashyap, 51, executive director of Journeys, says it chose to host the escape game event because such games are popular with young people.

She says: "The collaboration with Lockdown is an experiment to introduce other programmes and activities in the park that will engage the public, especially those of the younger generation.

"Through this educational and entertaining event, we hope they will reconnect with an iconic Singaporean treasure while being immersed in an experience that relates to them."

To draw visitors to the park, Journeys has also recently rolled out three-hour tours every Friday. The tour is priced at $38 for an adult and $18 for a child.

The escape game, titled Journey To The End And Back, is set around the plot of a school excursion that goes awry. The teams have to use the clues provided to navigate the course of the game and solve puzzles to save a friend who has fainted.

The game takes participants through sections of the 3.2ha park, which is filled with quirky statues and scenes from Chinese legends and literary classics such as Journey To The West.

The game zone covers about a third of the park's area, including the Ten Courts Of Hell and the Hua Song Pavilions. Regular park visitors are allowed into the game zone when a game is in session.

Lockdown's director Jonathan Ye, 32, says the company approached Haw Par Villa in August last year to host the game because the place is full of stories and rich tableaus.

He says: "We wanted to make use of a place that already has a rich history, as well as one that people don't visit as often and may not be as familiar with. Haw Par Villa fit that criteria."

Escape game enthusiast Yong Zhiyi, 24, was among those who showed up for the game despite the downpour last Saturday afternoon.

Organisers had prepared umbrellas, but most participants still got soaked.

It was Mr Yong's first visit to the park. He says: "If not for the game, I would not have come here."

He adds: "The game was decently challenging and I would do it again."

BOOK IT / JOURNEY TO THE END AND BACK
WHERE: Haw Par Villa, 262 Pasir Panjang Road
WHEN: Saturday, five time slots at 11.45am, 1.30, 3.15, 5 and 7pm
ADMISSION: $25 a person or $150 for a group of six from hawpar210516.peatix.com

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

this should be quite fun in 7th month   [sweatdrop]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Yah, play with the real thing, sure fun to the MAX, but once and only once only...LOL

Neutral Newbie

Escape rooms are fun. 
Tried some in US, Australia and New Zealand. Different themes in each place.

You do need to be thinking though (not good after a big night out).