Come Share Your View on "Car-Lite City"

Imac

Don't make sense to me.

1) we are all humans and we all have aspirations and for many, one of them is the freedom and thrill of owning a car. If this is denied to many,what is the point of earning so much then? We have moved beyond(most of us anyway ) living from hand to mouth so dreaming is a reality. After all, we don't work for the enjoyment of paying taxes but so that we can also enjoy life.

2) It does not make sense to on the one hand say we are are so crowded and so there must be a quota on cars and on the other hand keep filling the country with more people. If our women are breeding like rabbits i think no one will complain but that is not the case here.

3) the move to a car lite society has resulted in an increase in private hire cars which ply the roads more often. This leads to a situation when there are lesser cars under private ownership but more cars under private hire like uber which means higher usage of cars which means the roads get more congested since there is increased movement of cars. And the overall number of vehicles are increasing (or the same)in Singapore? Just lesser under private ownership but overall numbers are increasing or at least the same number of cars overall.

Add this with with an increased usage because it's on the roads more often, are we not moving towards a car heavy society instead?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

being a middle income chap

i have make my choice between my own transport or better housing

in my humble opinion. the garmen is trying to create a template city which they could sell their expertise in urban planning to other nations . and well, we happens to be the guineas pigs living in it.

what can i say. 69% of you all voted them in. which means out of 10 contributors to this thread here. 7 of you voted them in

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 4

all these are ideals, and ideals are thought out by like minded people who advocate certain style of living but it doesn't mean everyone will buy it. Unless it become a compulsory or no choice situation then it is up to each to decide.

however, they can influence how it progress toward the ideals, if COE increase to $150K, i bet the ideal can materialize sooner than later   [laugh]  [laugh]

I honestly don't mind a car lite society if there's adequate infrastructure supporting it.

I'd happily give up my 7-seater if it means there's a whizzcar like service 5-10 mins walk away at Tampines... and which I can return at CBD. This way I can drive the kids to school and drop the car at CBD. Have makkan and either take MRT/Bus or Uber as time dictates to office in Jurong East.

Most often, I find that there's only 3 of us in the car. If the above scenario worked, I'd definitely give up the fat elephant and get an A4/A3 instead.

When you say happily give up, do you mean like happily give up free?

If free can I have it? Thanks very much.

:D

• Praise 3

all these are ideals, and ideals are thought out by like minded people who advocate certain style of living but it doesn't mean everyone will buy it. Unless it become a compulsory or no choice situation then it is up to each to decide.

however, they can influence how it progress toward the ideals, if COE increase to $150K, i bet the ideal can materialize sooner than later [laugh][laugh]

Let's make coe 300k tomorrow :grin:

Then 3k 10 years later :XD:

• Praise 1

pssssssst....................ah tank.................faster faster............go order 1 whole ctner of "smartcycle" stand by............i give you lobang make $$$..................you give me one free one can liao.......... [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 4

pssssssst....................ah tank.................faster faster............go order 1 whole ctner of "smartcycle" stand by............i give you lobang make $$$..................you give me one free one can liao.......... [:p][laugh][laugh]

Buying from taobao nao!!!!! :XD:
  • Praise 1

Good plan

But can you it 300k tomorrow

and 3k next year?

My COE end next year.

:D 

• Praise 2

Car-lite is impossible for habitual nose digger and farter like me.

I will gladly pay 300k for the COE and another 50k for an Altis. Time to return to Japanese products [laugh]

• Praise 6

I think the idea of going "car-lite city" rather challenging to fulfill.

Our land space is fixed, mostly developed, lack of space for creative adjustments and roads connectivity to accommodate other type of vehicles (bicycle, tricycle, or quadri-cycle, etc) and the MRT/LRT is also rigidly fixed, at most single decked and maybe 6-8 carriages.. and worst plagued with maintenance and reliability issues..

What about all the revenue of COE, tax related on car purchases? Think its quite self-contradictory for such an idea..

Urban City design may work better if its starts from a fresh piece of paper..

Don't make sense to me.

1) we are all humans and we all have aspirations and for many, one of them is the freedom and thrill of owning a car. If this is denied to many,what is the point of earning so much then? We have moved beyond(most of us anyway ) living from hand to mouth so dreaming is a reality. After all, we don't work for the enjoyment of paying taxes but so that we can also enjoy life.

2) It does not make sense to on the one hand say we are are so crowded and so there must be a quota on cars and on the other hand keep filling the country with more people. If our women are breeding like rabbits i think no one will complain but that is not the case here.

3) the move to a car lite society has resulted in an increase in private hire cars which ply the roads more often. This leads to a situation when there are lesser cars under private ownership but more cars under private hire like uber which means higher usage of cars which means the roads get more congested since there is increased movement of cars. And the overall number of vehicles are increasing (or the same)in Singapore? Just lesser under private ownership but overall numbers are increasing or at least the same number of cars overall.

Add this with with an increased usage because it's on the roads more often, are we not moving towards a car heavy society instead?

That's why the decision to buy car is always YOLO.

The number of COE will further reduce to meet car-lite.  It means that more of it will shift towards hired car.

There will be a point that the hirer cannot tahan the rental & raise white flag.  We might see the tilt will goes back to private car.  I don't know when will it be.

It may not be more cars plying the road since a lot of these private cars hirer are ppl who can't afford to pay downpayment.  I would say there will be more cars plying the road at night & wkend.

Let me know when 70% of MPs are car-lite themselves.

The top don't walk the talk but want the bottom to follow their rules. That is already an epic leadership fail.

• Praise 3

Being a kindred spirit in great sympathy with your political views, it pains me to have to correct you. But you do know the difference between a population and a (biased) sample thereof, right? :D

post-131345-0-67833500-1473856758.jpg

• Praise 8

Car-lite is impossible for habitual nose digger and farter like me.

I will gladly pay 300k for the COE and another 50k for an Altis. Time to return to Japanese products [laugh]

I m thoroughly convinced on you being a 40M person

Acherlee... How can it ever be car lite when uber and other private hires are giving 10% down 10yr loan for those least able to afford a car to drive? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2